Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-22 | 09:40 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FastFord

As for your Dealer, sure all seasons for the winter in Alberta is ok, so is running into the rear of another car, going into a ditch, and getting stuck on some backroad in some freak snow/ice storm. It's more than snow, it's the cold weather as well. Alberta gets cold! All seasons in -20, may as well be using a brick.

Smart to have some concerns, but what have you done in the past?
Those are some very nice things that are "OK" too😜🤣

Some dealers just wanna make a quick buck🥺
Old 11-07-22 | 10:50 AM
NoMoreEv
Driver

Originally Posted by alawlorgca
Has anyone ever heard of negotiating All Weather Tires instead of All Season when purchasing the 2022 Lexus NX 350H? We live in Alberta and although the Lexus dealer said All Season is ok for the winter, I have some concerns.
Not a chance that they will provide you with All weather tires without charging you the cost of the tires plus the labor for the installation.

I have a set of Michelin x-ice snow suv on my 350h and they work well so far for the current Calgary weather.
Old 11-07-22 | 11:46 PM
alawlorgca
8th Gear

Thank you for your reply. I have lived outside of Canada for the last 14 years, so I plan to pick up the vehicle early next week as it arrived a few days ago. What rims do you use for your winter tires??
Old 11-07-22 | 11:51 PM
alawlorgca
8th Gear

Ya I have lived outside of Canada for the last 14 years, this will be the first vehicle I have ever purchased. So besides driving my parent's vehicle as a teenager, I don't have a lot of experience with winter driving in Canada. Thank you for the advice, I will 100% be not using All Season Tires for the winter. The vehicle arrived this week, so I will pay my downpayment and pick it up early next week. Just trying to sort out the tire situation.
Old 11-08-22 | 06:56 AM
NoMoreEv
Driver

Thank you for your reply. I have lived outside of Canada for the last 14 years, so I plan to pick up the vehicle early next week as it arrived a few days ago. What rims do you use for your winter tires??
I am using a set of superspeed wheels and the spec is 18x8.5 +35 offset. The wheels does need a set of hub centric rings for the Lexus.
Old 11-08-22 | 10:01 AM
FastFord
Racer

Being outside Canada for a few years and being a bit of a novice with new vehicles, I would highly recommend your Lexus Dealer take care of you. The Nx is a new design and not all tire shops are up to date with the changes. At least if you let your dealer find rims or at least change to winters, you will get the right equipment.

You can check above in this thread and see what works and what doesn't. There are some very important details that need to be correct to be safe.

Again, as much as it pains me, let the dealer help you.

Congrats on the new NX !
Old 11-08-22 | 10:27 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Being outside Canada for a few years and being a bit of a novice with new vehicles, I would highly recommend your Lexus Dealer take care of you. The Nx is a new design and not all tire shops are up to date with the changes. At least if you let your dealer find rims or at least change to winters, you will get the right equipment.

You can check above in this thread and see what works and what doesn't. There are some very important details that need to be correct to be safe.

Again, as much as it pains me, let the dealer help you.

Congrats on the new NX !
any somewhat competent wheel/tire shop will take one look at the wheels and be able to know what works. it's not some exotic and not first lexus to use lugbolts either.

only suggestion is poster don't go buy rims off kijiji or FB marketplace or w/e themselves ... any wheel/tire shop will be able to get rims/tires that fit the NX perfectly fine and if they screw up..they'll just order the correct ones..but again.. it's nothing special at all about the NX.. it uses lugbolts..that's it... just like the IS and german cars etc.. the CB, offset, bolt pattern is standard lexus/toyota

eg i went to my tire/wheel shop for seasonal swap and they swapped on my rims/tires and they just said ..oh another lexus that switched to lugbolts... and told me the lugbolts will be $3 each ..so $60 for the set for the car and that's it. no need for dealer to swap wheels
The following users liked this post:
bt10 (02-08-24)
Old 11-08-22 | 11:17 AM
Susido
Driver

I was a bit surprised to learn that the 2022 Rav4 still uses conventional wheel studs and nuts. A Toyota parts person I talked to was not aware of any Toyota model that uses lugbolts. What other Lexus models use them?
Old 11-08-22 | 11:23 AM
lsft
Racer

IS uses lug bolts too.
Old 11-08-22 | 12:10 PM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by nitrolada
any somewhat competent wheel/tire shop will take one look at the wheels and be able to know what works. it's not some exotic and not first lexus to use lugbolts either.

only suggestion is poster don't go buy rims off kijiji or FB marketplace or w/e themselves ... any wheel/tire shop will be able to get rims/tires that fit the NX perfectly fine and if they screw up..they'll just order the correct ones..but again.. it's nothing special at all about the NX.. it uses lugbolts..that's it... just like the IS and german cars etc.. the CB, offset, bolt pattern is standard lexus/toyota

eg i went to my tire/wheel shop for seasonal swap and they swapped on my rims/tires and they just said ..oh another lexus that switched to lugbolts... and told me the lugbolts will be $3 each ..so $60 for the set for the car and that's it. no need for dealer to swap wheels
Seriously! I never said half the stuff you mentioned! The person asked what should I do? I told them Lexus know best. Have a drink, maybe two!
Old 11-08-22 | 12:16 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Seriously! I never said half the stuff you mentioned! The person asked what should I do? I told them Lexus know best. Have a drink, maybe two!
did you not say this?
The Nx is a new design and not all tire shops are up to date with the changes. At least if you let your dealer find rims or at least change to winters, you will get the right equipment.
1. new design (lug bolts aren't some new design or something a wheel/tire shop haven't seen before, lexus already has models using lugbolts )
2. dealer will get right equipment, implying a wheel/tire shop somehow would get it wrong? ( again, it's standard toyota/lexus wheel specs in terms of CB, bolt pattern, offset etc...) ..and even if a tire/wheel shop orders wrong part..they can just get the correct one very easily.

Last edited by nitrolada; 11-08-22 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-08-22 | 01:47 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by nitrolada
did you not say this?

1. new design (lug bolts aren't some new design or something a wheel/tire shop haven't seen before, lexus already has models using lugbolts )
2. dealer will get right equipment, implying a wheel/tire shop somehow would get it wrong? ( again, it's standard toyota/lexus wheel specs in terms of CB, bolt pattern, offset etc...) ..and even if a tire/wheel shop orders wrong part..they can just get the correct one very easily.

I think both of you have the right intent. I could say during my research on the tires, it did take a little more effort at first since a lot of the tire specs were not provided in the early stages. Lexus service or a local tire shop should be fine. The local tire shop does that as their business and they should have all the information that is needed to get it right. The problem many will encounter is that they buy the tire at Costco and the buy rims at another shop and only relying on the online tools to tell you this is the rim. I have seen a few sites providing wrong information on the 2022 NX, because they didn't update the database or they just transferred 2021 NX information to 2022. As long as you go to the store and tell them this is your car and you want to get 18/20 rims, they should be able to get you the right one.

The biggest confusion would be the TPMS, even dealers are getting it wrong for some owners who have already changed their tires. That one you need to be a bit more careful even at tire shops.
The following 2 users liked this post by lsft:
LStoneX (11-08-22), Utopiag (03-21-23)
Old 11-08-22 | 02:19 PM
genadi
Driver

Originally Posted by lsft
I think both of you have the right intent. I could say during my research on the tires, it did take a little more effort at first since a lot of the tire specs were not provided in the early stages. Lexus service or a local tire shop should be fine. The local tire shop does that as their business and they should have all the information that is needed to get it right. The problem many will encounter is that they buy the tire at Costco and the buy rims at another shop and only relying on the online tools to tell you this is the rim. I have seen a few sites providing wrong information on the 2022 NX, because they didn't update the database or they just transferred 2021 NX information to 2022. As long as you go to the store and tell them this is your car and you want to get 18/20 rims, they should be able to get you the right one.

The biggest confusion would be the TPMS, even dealers are getting it wrong for some owners who have already changed their tires. That one you need to be a bit more careful even at tire shops.
Yep, that is why I bought rims and TPMS from Lexus dealer and tires from Costco. Dealer prices for rims and TPMS were not bad compared to aftermarket. And, Costco tires were on sale 20% off with road hazard warranty and Costco service pretty good match. Great product + service + confused avoided
Old 11-08-22 | 07:15 PM
vincej
Rookie

I went out today with the Lexus to add a little more insulation to the bee hive. I never measured it but there must be at least 8" of snow out there, enough anyway that I could see the belly pans were touching. The AWD seems to work pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (11-13-22)
Old 11-09-22 | 07:10 PM
alawlorgca
8th Gear

I just got a quote of 3600 CDN for Run Flat winter tires with the rims from the Lexus Dealership. Would this be a standard price??

Quick Reply: Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?