Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23 | 07:10 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Did you buy a wheel that was compatible with Toyotas with Lug nuts or a wheel that is Lug bolt compatible?

I wonder if anyone made a lug bolt that fits the old flat washer rims?
Most people forget that you can buy either lug bolt style at the Lexus dealer (and aftermarket) for any appropriate rim to install on this lexus, including rav4 and aftermarket rims. It has been mentioned in numerous threads and probably in this thread as well. For the one that his dealer told him only that lexus wheel, or no 18s on a 20” lux car, you’ve been played.

Last edited by bt10; 03-02-23 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-02-23 | 07:36 AM
Stedman
Driver

Originally Posted by LStoneX
Those wheels actually look good! Me likey! Welcome to the excellence that is the new NXh😜🤣
Mine sharing what you paid for the 18 inch I assume winter tires and rims. I’m in Canada also lookin at the same setup maybe
Old 03-02-23 | 08:09 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stedman
Mine sharing what you paid for the 18 inch I assume winter tires and rims. I’m in Canada also lookin at the same setup maybe
My 18" winter setup cost me about $1800 wheels, tires, mounting and everything. No sensors though. Dealer was out of stock at the time and the car doesn't seem to like the aftermarket ones I bought off Amazon.

But aside that light, it's been pretty good.

Old 03-02-23 | 08:37 AM
BobMillar
Driver School Candidate

For my NX 450h+ the wheels I got were from Toyota/Lexus so the bolthole dimensions will be standard for them, 5 x 114,3 mm (dia). In my experience, the bolts used have a head with a curved underside that is like a built-in washer. The curve matches the countersink in the holes in the wheel and is there to make the bolts self-centering which pulls the wheel evenly around the bolthole circle. Old-style steel wheels had nuts with a curve under as well for the same purpose. A bolt with a flat washer will not tighten properly and the wheel could be marginally off-center and will never balance on the car even if perfectly balanced off the car.

It is very important to get wheels that can take a high load, because the NX series is quite heavy, especially the plug-in. To be absolutely correct, the wheels should be type-approved for the car, but I think that that information is only available on manufacturers' websites and I don't think most people bother, they just buy a good quality wheel with the correct load rating. If you look at sites like CMS er Dezent you can see the type of information available.

FInally, sorry this is so long, the center bore should match the car, most Toyota/Lexus are 60,1 mm, but you can fit a wheel with a bigger bore by using a plastic or metal ring that is tailored to the sizes. Keep in mind that a big bore means less metal roung the boltholes.
Old 03-02-23 | 05:00 PM
Stedman
Driver

My 18" winter setup cost me about $1800 wheels, tires, mounting and everything. No sensors though. Dealer was out of stock at the time and the car doesn't seem to like the aftermarket ones I bought off Amazon.

But aside that light, it's been pretty good.

Did you look around at different winter tires etc. Or just stuck with what the dealer offered. I’m a big Halikappeti winter tire fan
The following users liked this post:
reereeyyz (03-05-23)
Old 03-02-23 | 09:10 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stedman
Did you look around at different winter tires etc. Or just stuck with what the dealer offered. I’m a big Halikappeti winter tire fan
I didn't do dealership. Dealership was at least $1000 higher when I bought my setup.
Old 03-03-23 | 07:57 AM
Utopiag
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Tolwynd33
Thanks for all the great info and pics everyone. Here is what I ended up with.
Went down from 20" OEM Run Flats to 18" for the winter.

Autobahn DW48 Satin Black wheels (DAI Wheels)
Yokohama IceGuard G075 ($70 mail-in rebate promo)
Aftermarket TPMS (sensor's cloned from OEM's)

Had them installed here just a few days before Vancouver had it's most embarrassing display of how the various municipalities handled our first snowstorm this year.

Stay Safe Everyone!
Do you mind PM me where you get the set up? I'm from Vancouver too and your set up look awesome on cloudburst grey which is what I will have in few months. Would love to prepare myself for the next winter, I should receive my car before this summer (or so I hope since the build day is March 25 in Japan). Thank you so much!! Yes, I agreed.... our municipalities are embarrassing. It took me 3.5 hours to drive from downtown Vancouver to YVR that night....
Old 03-03-23 | 10:20 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Utopiag
Do you mind PM me where you get the set up? I'm from Vancouver too and your set up look awesome on cloudburst grey which is what I will have in few months. Would love to prepare myself for the next winter, I should receive my car before this summer (or so I hope since the build day is March 25 in Japan). Thank you so much!! Yes, I agreed.... our municipalities are embarrassing. It took me 3.5 hours to drive from downtown Vancouver to YVR that night....

What did you order that is made in Japan?
Old 03-03-23 | 10:36 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Just for info, my NX was made in Japan, shipped to MI.
Old 03-03-23 | 10:39 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

I was under the impression that all NX 250, 350 and 350hs destined for canada are coming from Canada only. 450H+ is only made in Japan.
Old 03-03-23 | 10:44 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I was under the impression that all NX 250, 350 and 350hs destined for canada are coming from Canada only. 450H+ is only made in Japan.
Not sure but I think I read in an earlier thread that @Utopiag is waiting for the NX450h+
Old 03-03-23 | 01:42 PM
Utopiag
Pit Crew

Not sure but I think I read in an earlier thread that @Utopiag is waiting for the NX450h+
Good memory!! Yes, I'm still waiting for it. Hopefully this summer with the build date at end of March.
Old 03-03-23 | 03:18 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Good memory!! Yes, I'm still waiting for it. Hopefully this summer with the build date at end of March.
I try...😁

I'm still debating if I want to put a deposit on the NX450h+ myself since it might end up taking 3 years at current wait times... But I think I'll hold off while I see what the market does over the next few months.

Anyway, winter would soon be over... You should get a good deal and some discount when you're ready to purchase.
Old 03-03-23 | 03:21 PM
Utopiag
Pit Crew

I try...😁

I'm still debating if I want to put a deposit on the NX450h+ myself since it might end up taking 3 years at current wait times... But I think I'll hold off while I see what the market does over the next few months.

Anyway, winter would soon be over... You should get a good deal and some discount when you're ready to purchase.
It's refundable, so why not? I think I read an article somewhere recently that Toyota is recovering and going to up the production for the global market. Worth a try or put a deposit on RZ?
I'm sure hope the interest rate will adjust along with the winter package discount coming along but cannot hope for too much at the same time
Old 03-03-23 | 03:33 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

It's refundable, so why not? I think I read an article somewhere recently that Toyota is recovering and going to up the production for the global market. Worth a try or put a deposit on RZ?
I'm sure hope the interest rate will adjust along with the winter package discount coming along but cannot hope for too much at the same time
I'm still not fully convinced on the range the RZ looks like it'll be offering. I think Lexus can do quite better.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?