Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-22, 04:37 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tolwynd33
Thanks for the insight.
I've room in the garage so storage will be ok.
We don't do winter sports but enjoy winter drives up to Whistler and likely to Banff. I suppose my biggest reason is being extra sensitive to safety with having newborns this year and driving them around.
I'm such a noob when it comes to cars, I didn't realize TMPS would be so critical when it comes to swapping out wheels sizes and tires for the NX. We would didn't even think about it for our previous car, a 2012 Mazda 3; just booked a tire swap at Costco ($75 CAD) when the time came in the year.
Totally get it. I'd do it up there too.
We drove up to Whistler one Nov several years back. The added confidence was definitely nice. It's just very rare.
If the infrastructure was better around here for it, I might be tempted to do it again. At least on 1 primary vehicle.
Old 08-16-22, 07:46 AM
2022NX350F
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the 18" wheels from NX350/NX350h can be used on NX350/NX450h F Sport?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-22, 06:53 AM
buhdeh
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

So just to confirm, if I got the trim that came with 20" wheels (P235/50R20) it should be safe to downsize to the base model size (P235/60R18) assuming I get smaller, compatible wheels for winter tires right?
Old 09-01-22, 07:09 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

You are right.
Old 09-01-22, 07:14 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

I have a set of winter tires from my 2010 RX450h which should totally work with the new NX (P235/60R18). I am going to give that a try on my NX for the winter.
Old 09-01-22, 08:36 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Absolutely

Originally Posted by buhdeh
So just to confirm, if I got the trim that came with 20" wheels (P235/50R20) it should be safe to downsize to the base model size (P235/60R18) assuming I get smaller, compatible wheels for winter tires right?
I spoke with the service guys at Regency Lexus Vancouver and they said you can downsize to the 18" wheel spec for winter with no issues.

I'm not going with them for my wheels or tires though due to costs. I got some used 18" wheels for a decent price and I'm looking it for a deal on the actual tires. I've got storage in my garage so no issues there.

I'm just looking at which tires will be best. Going from the comments in this thread, people seem to be recommending Bridgestone Blizzaks...
Old 09-01-22, 09:21 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LStoneX
I spoke with the service guys at Regency Lexus Vancouver and they said you can downsize to the 18" wheel spec for winter with no issues.

I'm not going with them for my wheels or tires though due to costs. I got some used 18" wheels for a decent price and I'm looking it for a deal on the actual tires. I've got storage in my garage so no issues there.

I'm just looking at which tires will be best. Going from the comments in this thread, people seem to be recommending Bridgestone Blizzaks...
Just my 2cents. The blizzaks are highly rated, especially in snowy conditions when tread is new, However performance start to diminish faster than other brands when that top layer of tread is worn off. I will be picking between Xice-snow and Conti contact7.
Old 09-01-22, 09:22 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zanewyn
Just my 2cents. The blizzaks are highly rated, especially in snowy conditions when tread is new, However performance start to diminish faster than other brands when that top layer of tread is worn off. I will be picking between Xice-snow and Conti contact7.
Great feedback. @zanewyn I'll add those to my list and do my compare.👍🏽😎

How many seasons do you typically get out of your winter set using X-Ice and Contact 7? On my former IS, I fitted them with All-weathers so I didn't do the annual swap. Didn't have a ton of long drive in the winter only to a few spots around The lower mainland in and around Vancouver so I never really bothered and the AWs gave me decent performance to meet my needs then.

When the run flats wear out, I might do that again
Old 09-01-22, 09:28 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LStoneX
Great feedback. @zanewyn I'll add those to my list and do my compare.👍🏽😎

How many seasons do you typically get out of your winter set using X-Ice and Contact 7? On my former IS, I fitted them with All-weathers so I didn't do the annual swap. Didn't have a ton of long drive in the winter only to a few spots around The lower mainland in and around Vancouver so I never really bothered and the AWs gave me decent performance to meet my needs then.

When the run flats wear out, I might do that again
I think it depends on many factors such as your own driving style, how hard you accelerate and brake. For my civic, my set of winters still have over half tread after 3 seasons. So I think 5-6 is the upper limit, I wouldn't want to use winters with minimal tread as it defeats the purpose.
The following users liked this post:
LStoneX (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 12:06 PM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Haven't bought the winter tires or OEM tire pressure sensors yet but the first step for me was buying compatible 18" rims from my Lexus dealer. And yes, those rims are made specifically for the 2022 model year using wheel studs instead of lug nuts. Hence the holes have a tapered surface to them instead of a flat surface that is standard with every other rim I've seen. So that really cuts down the selection (the dealership sells only one compatible rim but in both 18" and 20" sizes).
The following 2 users liked this post by Susido:
gb350h (09-01-22), zanewyn (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 01:53 PM
buhdeh
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Susido
Haven't bought the winter tires or OEM tire pressure sensors yet but the first step for me was buying compatible 18" rims from my Lexus dealer. And yes, those rims are made specifically for the 2022 model year using wheel studs instead of lug nuts. Hence the holes have a tapered surface to them instead of a flat surface that is standard with every other rim I've seen. So that really cuts down the selection (the dealership sells only one compatible rim but in both 18" and 20" sizes).
wait what? Can you explain ?
Old 09-01-22, 02:06 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't know the details of the wheel issue. If the taper is in the bolts or somewhere else.
If it's about the bolts you may not need to worry about it.
I did winter swaps on my RC. I had 2 different sets of lug bolts. One for the summer wheels and one for the winter wheels. The bolts were not cross compatible with the wheels, but both worked on the car.
Those were both Lexus wheels, but I guess I'm wondering if an extra set of lug bolts would improve your options.
Old 09-01-22, 02:56 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Susido
I doubt the validity of this. The service chap at my dealership said you can get your time from anywhere and there was nothing special about the Lexus ones. I specifically asked him if the change from log nuts to lug bolts was going to make a difference and he said it doesn't. His words: " many technicians make a big deal if it because taking them off and putting them off takes a bit longer and kind of more precision. But it's no different and there's nothing special about them".

If you've got the money, by all means buy from Lexus. But it is not necessary by any means.
The following users liked this post:
bt10 (02-08-24)
Old 09-01-22, 07:41 PM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

What can I say? The parts department guy walked me over to the sample display of rims on the wall. All of them except for one show a flat surface where the conventional lug nut sits flush to the surface around the holes. The one that he pointed out is specifically for the 2022 NX (and labelled as such on the placard) has a distinct taper around each hole that accommodates the tapered shaft of the wheel studs. The difference is quite obvious and the parts guy left no doubt that the only rim I should be buying for my vehicle was that one.

I assume you could see this for yourself if you were to remove one of the studs from a factory 2022 NX wheel. The wheels cost about $260 Cdn each, which is about the same cost as other nice alloy wheels I've previously purchased for my other vehicles from non-dealerships. BTW, if you're doing wheel changes yourself, using a wheel alignment pin (M14 x 1.50 thread) makes things so much easier. Simply remove the top most wheel stud first and replace it with the alignment pin before unfastening the remaining studs.
Old 09-01-22, 09:00 PM
Sinecure
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always tried to downsize rims whenever possible for winter wheels/tires. A little extra sidewall meat is nice if you slip and bump a curb. I've had Blizzaks and X-Ice and been very happy. But I was blown away by the Hakkapalitas on my wife's Infiniti QX50 a couple years ago. Now that's my winter tire of choice if its available in the size I need. I'm currently running them on my '22 Outback Wilderness and they kicked butt last winter. Looking at getting an NX450h+ and if I can find a good set-up, that'll be my choice.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?