Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 07:53 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by colday
I was in the local dealer last week, the parts guy could not figure out how to drill down to the 2022 NX350h, but he said the wheels would be about $600 - $800 EACH!
There is 2 types of rims.
  • Lexus NX Accessory Rim with sensors - 18 ~$270
  • Lexus OEM Alloy Rims with sensors - 18 ~$500
The following users liked this post:
colday (09-06-22)
Old 09-06-22, 07:57 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
Other than design, what's the difference between the two rims? Are the stock rims that come with the vehicle OEM alloys?
Old 09-06-22, 08:09 AM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
Where did you see nx rims with sensors for $270? And what’s the part number?
Old 09-06-22, 08:14 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by zanewyn
Other than design, what's the difference between the two rims? Are the stock rims that come with the vehicle OEM alloys?
When I asked - the answer I received was:
"Accessory Rims" are made to Lexus standards by their 2nd tier companies, the ones that don't make the original rims for the ones that are on the cars. They aren't as high quality as the OEM ones, but are still considered sufficient under Lexus QC.
OEM Rims are manufactured by one of the Lexus partners (BBS, Enkei, etc) and exceed their OEM specs - whatever that means.

I would say that Accessory rims are anything that's not spec'd by Lexus, basically any rims that aren't directly endorsed by Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
zanewyn (09-06-22)
Old 09-06-22, 09:22 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by genadi
Where did you see nx rims with sensors for $270? And what’s the part number?
Sorry... ignore the sensors.. they just have a package and I forgot to remove the sensor wording... with sensors is' $345
Old 09-06-22, 03:57 PM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by genadi
I picked up TPMS as well for $60 each
Also quoted $60 each but I elected to buy the sensors at the local Toyota dealer, as much as to test the theory of less expensive parts at Toyota as anything else. Did you also buy the center caps? I didn't thinking it would be simple to switch them from the original wheels but now I'm thinking that might be too much to expect from a typical tire change place.
Old 09-06-22, 04:12 PM
genadi
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Susido
Also quoted $60 each but I elected to buy the sensors at the local Toyota dealer, as much as to test the theory of less expensive parts at Toyota as anything else. Did you also buy the center caps? I didn't thinking it would be simple to switch them from the original wheels but now I'm thinking that might be too much to expect from a typical tire change place.
I guess you can buy sensors from Toyota as long as the same part number. I did my oil change at Toyota and they installed the same oil filter as Lexus original but quite a bit cheaper.

I also bought some tpms install kits for $10 extra but, they told me if they are not used I can return them. No idea if these are required…
Old 09-08-22, 07:10 AM
NoMoreEv
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a set of left over superspeed wheels from the model 3 I no longer have that will be used as winter wheels on my 350h. I have BS Blizzak DMV 1 and Continental Viking 7 on other vehicles and they work really well for our Alberta winter. But for the NX, I just purchased a set x-Ice snow and had them install on the rims without any sensor.

I talked to 3 service advisors at different dealerships and getting contradict information whether the TPMS need to be programmed at each tire swap or not, hence I left out the sensors. I do the seasonal swaps myself and I am too cheap to pay dealer to program the sensors twice a year.
Old 09-08-22, 07:19 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreEv
I have a set of left over superspeed wheels from the model 3 I no longer have that will be used as winter wheels on my 350h. I have BS Blizzak DMV 1 and Continental Viking 7 on other vehicles and they work really well for our Alberta winter. But for the NX, I just purchased a set x-Ice snow and had them install on the rims without any sensor.

I talked to 3 service advisors at different dealerships and getting contradict information whether the TPMS need to be programmed at each tire swap or not, hence I left out the sensors. I do the seasonal swaps myself and I am too cheap to pay dealer to program the sensors twice a year.
When I read the NX manual, it mentioned that the programming is initiated through the vehicle settings. We just have to drive it for a short duration for it to recognize the sensors.
Old 09-08-22, 07:26 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

When I looked in my settings on NX, I saw what looked like 2 sets of tpms blocks. I had heard of some vehicles supporting tire swaps easily be allowing 2 sets to be stored. Haven't tried it or investigated further. But seems promising.

Alternatively, when I had my 2008 RC. I did do tire swaps seasonally. I know it only had one set of codes. I usually spent 6 months a year with no tpms because the dealer constantly forgot to program it. They said it would recognize while driving but it never did. Wasn't a big enough deal for the trip back to the dealer to fix. NX is different in many ways though.
Old 09-08-22, 09:25 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

When I owned my 2IS, before I switched to All-weathers, I used to have two sets of tires and the car had programming setup for both sets. I just needed to switch the car's computer to the right set when I swapped the tires and there was no issue.

Reading through the NX manual seems to indicate the same process. More importantly, you don't need the dealer to program them in for you if you have the codes for the TPMS sensors before they're put in the wheels. Now that looks promising😜
Old 09-09-22, 07:05 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove about two weeks with the stock tires on my 22 F-Sport in very mixed winter driving conditions here in Alaska. They did a great job and may be enough for many winter drivers but I still prefer studded tires on snow and ice. So I had studded Nokian Hakkapelitta 10s installed on the stock rims. The Haks are amazing in deep snow, ice, slush and so on. I followed the directions for programing a second set of tires to the TPMS system and it worked perfectly. In the spring, it was easy to switch back to the stock tire profile. The system does take a few miles of driving to "recognize" the new sensors.
Old 09-09-22, 07:31 AM
gb350h
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LStoneX
When I owned my 2IS, before I switched to All-weathers, I used to have two sets of tires and the car had programming setup for both sets. I just needed to switch the car's computer to the right set when I swapped the tires and there was no issue.

Reading through the NX manual seems to indicate the same process. More importantly, you don't need the dealer to program them in for you if you have the codes for the TPMS sensors before they're put in the wheels. Now that looks promising😜
Yes i concur that the NX Manual has specific instruction on page 577 in regards to registering new TMPS sensors by yourself in the car computer. once the new sensors are added, we can just drive the car for 10-30min around 40km/hr and keep straight as the best as we can to let the computer gather the data from the registered sensors. and we can save the settings so we don't need to reprogram or reset the sensors every time swapping the wheels. just go to the tmps information part from the car computer and choose the wheel set we saved earlier and that's it.
Old 09-09-22, 08:25 AM
NoMoreEv
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

The NX does have the capability to store two set of TPMS sensors and I should have read the manual or play with the car a bit more before I took the service advisor’s word.
The following 5 users liked this post by NoMoreEv:
gb350h (09-09-22), ohaley (11-26-22), scooky (09-09-22), Utopiag (09-09-22), zanewyn (09-09-22)
Old 09-09-22, 11:06 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

@zanewyn can you provide a link to this...I'm not finding it. Thx.

Originally Posted by zanewyn
Wow that's a decent price. Lexus' website shows 1407+taxes.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?