Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 04:24 PM
Tolwynd33
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?

Weather is still nice and warm but wanted to start looking and planning ahead.

What kind of options do you all think are worth considering for the winter? My NX is the 350h Run Flat 20"

Should I go down to 18'' wheels with appropriate winter tires
Keep 20" wheels and swap the run-flats with 20" winter tires (I don't even know if that's actually doable)
Swap for another set of 20" wheels with winter tires

Open to any opinion to start keeping an eye out for deals. Winters aren't too brutal -usually- in the pacific northwest but the occasional freak winter does happen like last year (my back still has PTSD from the daily shoveling)

Thanks for the discussion and your insight
Old 08-13-22, 04:56 PM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I am planning to shop for 18 inch alloy rims with winter tires and OEM TPMS. I am in southern Ontario, snow is not too heavy, Michelin xice would be my first choice.
Old 08-13-22, 05:44 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

plus one here, 18" Xice. On the shelf about sensors, depends if they can even get them?
RCW wheels, correct fit, offset, bolt pattern, winter rated.
Old 08-13-22, 06:06 PM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FastFord
plus one here, 18" Xice. On the shelf about sensors, depends if they can even get them?
RCW wheels, correct fit, offset, bolt pattern, winter rated.
What tire shop has RWC wheels? I was planning to purchase from SimplyTire with RTX
Old 08-13-22, 06:25 PM
Tolwynd33
10th Gear

Do you know if it there is anything that needs to be done when going from 20" to 18"? Is it just straight swap or is there some calibration needed?

What's the motivation for getting sensors?

May the deal gods be with us in the hunt.
Old 08-13-22, 06:26 PM
Tolwynd33
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zanewyn
I am planning to shop for 18 inch alloy rims with winter tires and OEM TPMS. I am in southern Ontario, snow is not too heavy, Michelin xice would be my first choice.
Do you know if it there is anything that needs to be done when going from 20" to 18"? Is it just straight swap or is there some calibration needed?

What's the motivation for getting sensors?

May the deal gods be with us in the hunt.
Old 08-13-22, 06:45 PM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

@FastFord What's the proper offset for the 18s? I can't see the find the info online
@Tolwynd33 The mounting and calibration is done when you purchase the tire and rims. You just need to swap it every season.
The following users liked this post:
Tolwynd33 (08-13-22)
Old 08-13-22, 08:27 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Tolwynd33
Weather is still nice and warm but wanted to start looking and planning ahead.

What kind of options do you all think are worth considering for the winter? My NX is the 350h Run Flat 20"

Should I go down to 18'' wheels with appropriate winter tires
Keep 20" wheels and swap the run-flats with 20" winter tires (I don't even know if that's actually doable)
Swap for another set of 20" wheels with winter tires

Open to any opinion to start keeping an eye out for deals. Winters aren't too brutal -usually- in the pacific northwest but the occasional freak winter does happen like last year (my back still has PTSD from the daily shoveling)

Totally agree with you bro. The PNW can be freaky in winter.

I'm also thinking aftermarket 18" rims. I plan on looking at what I can get from Costco for tires. There's usually a deal on tires about this time annually...
Old 08-13-22, 08:37 PM
colday
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m also looking for winter tires. I may just have them installed on the current 18” rims, then next spring shop for rims. Once snow hits here in Anchorage, the roads pretty much stay bad until spring. I’ve run Bridgestone Blizzaks on both our vehicles for years.
The following users liked this post:
Kusala (08-14-22)
Old 08-14-22, 09:48 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Another vote for the Bridgestone Blizzaks. Zero problems with these tires in the mountains.

Originally Posted by colday
I’m also looking for winter tires. I may just have them installed on the current 18” rims, then next spring shop for rims. Once snow hits here in Anchorage, the roads pretty much stay bad until spring. I’ve run Bridgestone Blizzaks on both our vehicles for years.
Old 08-14-22, 10:38 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tolwynd33

I'm down in the Puget Sound area Not in the city, but the foothills.
Other things to consider if you haven't already. I think peeps in BC/Canada are more used to seasonal swaps. You may already have these parts figured out.
Where are you going to store your extra wheels. (I stored mine at the dealer as I didn't have room at residence)
How are you going to get them swapped. (again dealer) $200 spring 200 fall. (storage was covered by the fees of swapping)
TMPS challenges. (dealer routinely messed up TMPS programming) I wish more cars had the dual TMPS settings for exactly this situation.

In my region swapping doesn't seem to be very common and therefore the infrastructure around storage, swapping, TMPS management seem poor and confusing. Other parts of the US, Canada, Europe, etc. these things are routine.

I've only done swapping on 1 car (my most recent) for 4 years. I liked the great traction and confidence, but I won't be doing it again. At least not around here.
I don't do winter sports so most of those rare days where the weather is bad, I just ended up not going out.

I think climates where winter is harsher, and/or people more into winter sports or have critical jobs the swap could make great sense.
Sorry, might not be quite what you were asking. Just extra stuff to consider if you hadn't already. Or for other readers later to consider.
Cheers
Old 08-14-22, 10:41 AM
FastFord
Racer

My Lexus dealer sells RWC wheels. They are a company from Montreal Canada. My GM dealer also sold them. You can check out what they have at rwc wheels. Input your vehicle and they will tell you what's available for your car, with the specs of your car. They do not sell universal fit rims, and me, I wouldn't buy universal fit....that's just me.

Had three sets of their wheels and had zero issues.

Not sure what our bolt pattern or off set is, just forget and too lazy to check. But they have the correct wheels.

Going from 20 inch summers to 18 winter with a taller profile, so no need to do anything but slap them on!

Blizzaks are great also!

Last edited by FastFord; 08-14-22 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-14-22, 11:10 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

When we lived in Portland OR. I never swapped tires, but now living in the mountains in BC winter tires are law (and common sense) if you want to traverse the passes.

The last few years I've been storing the other set of tires in my garage, but will go back to the dealer storing and installing them.

No matter the cost of the tires I'll be putting on Blizzaks.

Originally Posted by scooky
Other things to consider if you haven't already. I think peeps in BC/Canada are more used to seasonal swaps. You may already have these parts figured out.
Where are you going to store your extra wheels. (I stored mine at the dealer as I didn't have room at residence)
How are you going to get them swapped. (again dealer) $200 spring 200 fall. (storage was covered by the fees of swapping)
TMPS challenges. (dealer routinely messed up TMPS programming) I wish more cars had the dual TMPS settings for exactly this situation.

In my region swapping doesn't seem to be very common and therefore the infrastructure around storage, swapping, TMPS management seem poor and confusing. Other parts of the US, Canada, Europe, etc. these things are routine.

I've only done swapping on 1 car (my most recent) for 4 years. I liked the great traction and confidence, but I won't be doing it again. At least not around here.
I don't do winter sports so most of those rare days where the weather is bad, I just ended up not going out.

I think climates where winter is harsher, and/or people more into winter sports or have critical jobs the swap could make great sense.
Sorry, might not be quite what you were asking. Just extra stuff to consider if you hadn't already. Or for other readers later to consider.
Cheers
Old 08-14-22, 11:17 AM
FastFord
Racer

I just looked wheel stuff up

Looks like:
center bore is 60.1mm
bolt pattern 5x114.3 or 5x4.5"
Lug bolts M14 x 1.5

The following 2 users liked this post by FastFord:
Bridge1821 (03-08-24), Doug007 (10-07-22)
Old 08-14-22, 11:58 AM
Tolwynd33
10th Gear

Originally Posted by scooky

Cheers
Thanks for the insight.
I've room in the garage so storage will be ok.
We don't do winter sports but enjoy winter drives up to Whistler and likely to Banff. I suppose my biggest reason is being extra sensitive to safety with having newborns this year and driving them around.
I'm such a noob when it comes to cars, I didn't realize TMPS would be so critical when it comes to swapping out wheels sizes and tires for the NX. We would didn't even think about it for our previous car, a 2012 Mazda 3; just booked a tire swap at Costco ($75 CAD) when the time came in the year.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires/Rims NX350h - what's a good plan?