Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

350h puddle lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-23, 12:43 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak412
Yes that post was great! I ended up getting the Lexus V2 3D ($80) puddle lights and I got that back piece LED too. That back piece (4 LED) should have just been the norm, but it is what it is. That single LED was pitiful.

I paid $28.67 TOTAL for my LED Tail Box Top Lamp Trunk Overhead Light. It has more than 4 LEDs for sure. Not sure how many LEDs are in this thing but it is BRIGHT. Just have to make sure you select the RIGHT light. I received the wrong light the first time and had to buy another to get the correct one. But the one I bought by mistake fit my granddaughters NX. You have to select the 22NX model.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa

The following users liked this post:
Kodiak412 (07-24-23)
Old 07-31-23, 01:21 AM
Kodiak412
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I just installed the 3D puddle lights and they are actually great. This was the easiest mod I have ever done to any vehicle and worth the money IMO. That rear light upgrade was sorely needed and it too is a significant improvement.

Anyone with a plastic pry tool or even a screwdriver (carefully) can do this easily.
Old 08-03-23, 07:08 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by SgtLip
@Kodiak412 I have emailed and called both Amp Research and ARIES (I believe the only two powered boards made in the USA) running board companies and both said NO. They even went so far as to say, We don't make them for Lexus and don't see a future when we will. So I continued to look around. FINALLY I found a bunch but they are ALL Chinese made. I figured what isn't these days and purchased a set that worked for me (I hate chrome so it was hard to find). They arrived quickly and look to be made very good. I am having them installed Tuesday 7/25/23. Here is a link to the boards I purchased: NOTE: I didn't pay that much
https://www.ebay.com/itm/305015544731

Good luck. There are a LOT of others that look just as good if you don't mind the chrome. Once you go to that one I linked above, you'll see a lot more.
@Kodiak412 I finally found an installer for the Powered Running Boards. I took it to one guy and after an hour he decided he couldn't do it. So I gathered everything up and started searching for an installer. I found a local shop and took it in. They looked at it and said they would do it. Scheduled a day and took it in.

Sadly I have to report the Kit I purchased would work on an NX350. It works GREAT on the 450H+ BUT with some modification of the Drive Front Bracket and the Plastic Rock Guard have to be cut for the Boards to work. It is a great Power Board and I am GLAD I did it, BUT the Install Instructions are the worst, they actually suck. I was able to take a bunch of photos during the install. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can send them to show the mods. As for the operation and looks, first and most important, the wife LOVES them and both she and her sister can get in the car comfortably now. As for looks, I found it hard to get a good photo at night as well as a video of the motion. I took a couple shots of it in the garage at night with the door open. Have to figure out how to video it in motion. I'll take a couple of daylight photos with it closed and then open.

The following 2 users liked this post by SgtLip:
Kodiak412 (08-03-23), Tarnshoe (08-03-23)
Old 08-04-23, 12:19 AM
Kodiak412
Rookie

Originally Posted by SgtLip
@Kodiak412 I finally found an installer for the Powered Running Boards. I took it to one guy and after an hour he decided he couldn't do it. So I gathered everything up and started searching for an installer. I found a local shop and took it in. They looked at it and said they would do it. Scheduled a day and took it in.

Sadly I have to report the Kit I purchased would work on an NX350. It works GREAT on the 450H+ BUT with some modification of the Drive Front Bracket and the Plastic Rock Guard have to be cut for the Boards to work. It is a great Power Board and I am GLAD I did it, BUT the Install Instructions are the worst, they actually suck. I was able to take a bunch of photos during the install. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can send them to show the mods. As for the operation and looks, first and most important, the wife LOVES them and both she and her sister can get in the car comfortably now. As for looks, I found it hard to get a good photo at night as well as a video of the motion. I took a couple shots of it in the garage at night with the door open. Have to figure out how to video it in motion. I'll take a couple of daylight photos with it closed and then open.

HA! When we didn't hear back I was hoping it was because you just got busy. I was hoping you did not run into issues. I remember thinking maybe the first installer got into the weeds with it and then decided they could not do it and returned it to you in a big mess. You would then have to hunt down someone else and that could be a crap shoot for finding someone. Sounds like that was the case.

I am glad to hear at least you were able to find someone willing to take it on. I have seen some equipment with worthless instructions so the installer needs to draw on experience or brain power to get it right and possible make modifications on the fly. It looks like it does not interfere with with the Lexus puddle light either so that is a win!

Now that my wife has driven this new 350h a couple of times she says that stepping up to get in is not a problem for her. She is not short so that helps her. That was great news to me as it will give this generation of NX some time to mature and as it matures more products will be available for it. I am hoping some mainstream power running board company will add the Gen 2 NX to their power board offerings. Then I will not have to take the chance you took.

I am so glad that it worked out for you after taking that total crap shoot of a chance with these steps. It is nice to hear that you were rewarded for that risk. I hope you post some photos of the steps in and out in the daylight and maybe someone stepping on them as they would getting in and out of the vehicle. Congratulations on the uniqueness of your vehicle and stock up on some WD 40 (flush) and dry silicone spray to keep this lubed up. The motor for these boards may not be the most powerful in the world so keeping the boards moving freely without resistance will be huge.

Can't wait so some photos and again CONGRATS!
Old 08-04-23, 12:20 AM
Kodiak412
Rookie

One more thing. The LED lights on those boards look fantastic!
Old 08-04-23, 01:47 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kodiak412
One more thing. The LED lights on those boards look fantastic!
@Kodiak412 That was the reason I wanted to change the Door Puddle Lamps. The foggy circle I had was ugly and knowing the Running Boards were illuminated I wanted a plain Lexus look. (See Post #49 above in this thread for the photo)

I took a few photos of the 450H+ with the Boards tucked and deployed. I took full car and then close-up.

Last edited by SgtLip; 08-04-23 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added ref to puddle lamp photos
The following users liked this post:
Kodiak412 (08-04-23)