Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

350H Color - How is Cadmium Orange?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-22, 11:11 PM
pro001
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
Put yourself mentally in the position you would be in three days or three weeks after you come home with the cadmium orange.

You open up the door to your garage and you see it. Are you really happy or do you think, 'Dang, why did I do that?'

I'm not lobbying one way or the other. Color preferences are so individual.

But I've been around awhile and on the horns of a similar dilemma, and I've found that the three day/three week test is an excellent leading indicator for a go or no-go decision.
Man, the 3-day/week test is powerful. My husband's head is banging against it now! Thanks!
Old 12-02-22, 11:32 PM
pro001
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I guess I can take this one. I own a 450h+ Cadmium Orange F-Sport. I'm male and I love the colour. I would admit that the car will stand out in the crowd since a lot of car owners prefer gray, black or white. But my previous car was the Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 which is the blue. So I am use to having sharper colors.

The orange in fact changes colour based on the lighting available. It can become a matte finish when there is no sun and brightens up with sunshine. Keep in mind most of the time you are inside and you won't be able to see the color yourself. I feel the gray, black and white are boring cos all cars are that colour. If you picked white, you may park beside another white NX in the future and you'll need to figure out which one is yours.

As all said, you need to be comfortable with it and that is the most important thing.

Many thanks for the amazing picture and thoughtful note! And, your great video shared on Youtube!
After reading your note, I paid more attention to how the color appears in different light settings. It does look a bit dull in a cloudy or darker time but bright and fantastic in the sunshine. Also different angles seem to reflect different style of color if walking around it. (all observations from researching online, I haven't seen the car in person yet. It may arrive in the next 1-3 weeks.)
I like the color for sure. Just worried if it stands out too much because I assume that a strong color will draw attention of not only people who like it but also people who hate it. But yeah, unnecessary worry it is. Shall be proud rather than being timid.
My husband is open to this color. But he can be too nice and agreeable some times. He would just choose any color that I choose. Now he's trying to use redhot47fl 's 3-day/week test. Probably will end up with taking this beauty. Will post a photo once we do get it!
The following 2 users liked this post by pro001:
lsft (12-03-22), mike995134 (12-03-22)
Old 12-03-22, 01:07 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the same feelings you have. IMO, the NX is flashy in any color; and, CdO is probably the flashiest color (in the sun). I'd rather not draw attention to myself or my vehicle (can't say I have noticed any extra attention).

I'd say it comes down to how you view your car. I view mine as a tool that performs a function and plan to keep it for many years. The color is not of great importance to me (though I do think it looks good). If you view it as a reflection of your style, personality, status, etc.; and, your decision to change vehicles is primarily based on how you feel about it... then you may regret/trade it sooner if you really don't like the color.

Edit: From my seating position I cannot see the exterior color at all.

Last edited by CdO; 12-03-22 at 01:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pro001 (12-04-22)
Old 12-03-22, 04:09 AM
SenorValas
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

I think that colour choices for a car can also depend on the age of the driver(s). If I was half the age I am now I would definitely have considered the Cadmium Orange as I genuinely like the colour (especially in F-Sport trim) plus the fact that it would be a rare sight on the road. However now that I am in my early 60s I personally think that having that colour would make too bold a statement for me now (a bit like having a mid-life crisis in your 40s) so the only colours I consider nowadays are the more conservative ones (which is why my NX is Cloudburst Grey). So maybe your choice would depend on your age?

Having said that - if you like the colour and don't care what other people might think about it, then I say go for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by SenorValas; 12-03-22 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Typo
The following 3 users liked this post by SenorValas:
CdO (12-03-22), Longdan (12-03-22), pro001 (12-04-22)
Old 12-03-22, 04:18 AM
mike995134
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I would hope that we’re beyond associating colors with genders. That seems to be a frequent concern on many car forums when colors are discussed. Geezzzz ..
get what you like and as others have said, don’t worry about what others think. It’s your car, your money, and so if you like it go for it.

We bought a Daybreak Yellow Mica Ct200h (aka the Taxi) when they first came out. I’m not a flashy guy, but liked the color and so went for it. And it was a joy to drive, never had one negative comment, and it certainly was easy to locate in a parking lot among the sea of gray-silver-white cars 😜

The only thing to consider is that colors do have an impact on trade-in/resale values. But flashy colors for sporty models are not uncommon, and in fact can help increase the value. And I think the CO for the NX does just that. Just my humble opinion. I’d get it!!!

The following 4 users liked this post by mike995134:
blueless (12-03-22), FreddyG (06-23-24), lsft (12-03-22), pro001 (12-04-22)
Old 12-03-22, 05:04 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by mike995134
I would hope that we’re beyond associating colors with genders. That seems to be a frequent concern on many car forums when colors are discussed. Geezzzz ..
get what you like and as others have said, don’t worry about what others think. It’s your car, your money, and so if you like it go for it.

We bought a Daybreak Yellow Mica Ct200h (aka the Taxi) when they first came out. I’m not a flashy guy, but liked the color and so went for it. And it was a joy to drive, never had one negative comment, and it certainly was easy to locate in a parking lot among the sea of gray-silver-white cars 😜

The only thing to consider is that colors do have an impact on trade-in/resale values. But flashy colors for sporty models are not uncommon, and in fact can help increase the value. And I think the CO for the NX does just that. Just my humble opinion. I’d get it!!!

Nice Daybreak Yellow Mica! What a beauty. I have a Ultrasonic Blue Mica for the CT200h
Old 12-03-22, 08:08 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I've posted earlier about color choices by state. We went with the red at my wife's request after being in an accident in a white Toyota where the responsible driver claimed he didn't see us, despite having DRL's on. In a sea of grey, black and white SUV's our tomato red Redline is easy to spot while parked.

Last edited by Doug007; 12-04-22 at 07:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug007:
lsft (12-03-22), pro001 (12-04-22)
Old 12-03-22, 06:13 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pro001
Hi all,
My first post here. If you could help me with some opinions on the exterior color?
I really like NX 350H and would like to purchase a white or gray one (caviar is fine, even red would be acceptable), and the waiting time is so long, not knowing how long would that be.
My local dealer just informed me of an available one. The package and installation are not ideal but I'm open to all, have to be flexible. But the color is Cadmium Orange.
Now the dilemma is whether to take this orange one?

My major concerns are two:
1. Cadmium Orange does look fancy. It's no bad at all. But is it too show off? Would that be too much?
2. This car is for both my husband and me. I'm a woman, but how is the orange color reflected upon a male driver? (yes, I should ask my husband's thoughts and I have. He is so nice and wants the car to work the best for me. But, I also want a color that works well for him. So, Lexus owners here, I'm trying to pick your brains here in the forum.)

So far we only had a white Toyota in the past. So, experience is limited to both of us.

If there are any other things that should be taken into consideration? Please comment. Any idea would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
In my humble opinion, get the color for you, not what others may think. Owning any car is purely about how it makes you feel in it. So if orange makes you feel good driving it around, that's all you need. Don't worry about if it's "too much" or "too showy" to others. Get the one that makes you smile when you go into the garage.

I'm a 50-something male and honestly I think orange would be my first pick if I had a lot full to pick from. It's rare, unique, and I like that in a car. I'm likely not going to get a choice because my dealer only gets 1 or 2 luxury packages each month so when my number is up passing over color will mean big waits. So I've resolved I'd be happy with any color. But if I could get something that stood out I'd be better with it. orange > green > red > blue > white > light grey > dark grey > black.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
lsft (12-03-22), pro001 (12-04-22)
Old 12-04-22, 08:23 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

In my experience, if my wife doesn't personally own a particular color family in her clothes closet, it generally is not a vehicle color she would be comfortable owning.
Old 12-04-22, 09:20 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Question clothes the exact colors of cars ??

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
In my experience, if my wife doesn't personally own a particular color family in her clothes closet, it generally is not a vehicle color she would be comfortable owning.
H'mm , did I miss something. You wife owns clothes that match exactly actually car colors ...very interesting. I bet she has something in red so you should get "Redline" since actually redline is the top color and cadmium orange is also a good color.

Peace and Good Will Motor on

YMMV,
MidCow3

Old 12-04-22, 12:42 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I think if you are uncertain about the Cadmium Orange now, it might be too much down the road. I think it's a brilliant colour. I have seen it live on a sunny day and mmm nice.

I had two sports cars in a similar colour many years ago, and they did get a lot of attention. Now that I am an old fart, I will leave these colours to the younger folks.

It also looks slightly lighter than the pictures above.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 12-04-22, 01:25 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by FastFord
I think if you are uncertain about the Cadmium Orange now, it might be too much down the road. I think it's a brilliant colour. I have seen it live on a sunny day and mmm nice.

I had two sports cars in a similar colour many years ago, and they did get a lot of attention. Now that I am an old fart, I will leave these colours to the younger folks.

It also looks slightly lighter than the pictures above.

Good luck on your decision!
@FastFord am I one of the younger folks you are talking about ? I still like the bright colors and Cadmium Orange , Redline and Grecian Waters fit the bright bill

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
FastFord (12-05-22), LStoneX (12-04-22)
Old 12-05-22, 12:10 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I think it’s best if you go look at it in person. Personally, I’m neutral about it. I prefer the more common colors like white or silver that blend in with all the other cars in traffic. I’ve been waiting for a white or silver with palomino 350h luxury since August. With tax it’s going to be close to $60k so I prefer to be patient about it and wait for the color I want.
Old 12-05-22, 01:37 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
@FastFord am I one of the younger folks you are talking about ? I still like the bright colors and Cadmium Orange , Redline and Grecian Waters fit the bright bill

YMMV,
MidCow3
LOL maybe you are one of the younger folks, at least compared to me haha

I love these bright bold colours, always have! Just now that I'm not too far from a wheelchair and having to take an Uber, I'd rather look at them than own one.... maybe own one, but not have to detail it every day to make it looks it's best. Definitely done with black, until my Grandson gets old enough to learn how to polish a vehicle. Moved onto grey/silver to match my hair!
Old 12-05-22, 03:50 PM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts
Question safer

Louder colors can be easier to spot in traffic, which could help with safety. Not much, but every little bit helps. I used to drive a silver Miata and felt so invisible, especially when it was raining.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (12-07-22)

Quick Reply: 350H Color - How is Cadmium Orange?