Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

350H Color - How is Cadmium Orange?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-22, 04:00 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by blueless
Louder colors can be easier to spot in traffic, which could help with safety. Not much, but every little bit helps. I used to drive a silver Miata and felt so invisible, especially when it was raining.
DRL are much more effective for that. And white does have some pop even at night so it's noticeable just doesn't stand out from the crowd. Grey/Silver can be hard to see in bad weather if they are not using their lights.
Old 12-05-22, 04:01 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by FastFord
LOL maybe you are one of the younger folks, at least compared to me haha

I love these bright bold colours, always have! Just now that I'm not too far from a wheelchair and having to take an Uber, I'd rather look at them than own one.... maybe own one, but not have to detail it every day to make it looks it's best. Definitely done with black, until my Grandson gets old enough to learn how to polish a vehicle. Moved onto grey/silver to match my hair!
Actually I think we are the same age i might even be older my first new car our of college was a 1970 442. I had to get two titanium knees 2 1/2 years ago. Pease brother but I still love bright red.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 3 users liked this post by midcow3:
Doug007 (12-07-22), FastFord (12-05-22), romer (12-06-22)
Old 12-05-22, 05:23 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Two knees, you got me beat! Just a hip soon, I hope...Covid!!!

I've noticed all your red vehicles. Funny out of all the too many vehicles I've owned, I have never had a red one. Back in the 70's my hair was reddish orange and I thought red would be too much, ah what a dumb young man I was. I did have two orange cars along the road. Painted a 1972 Datsun 240z a bright copper, that was nice. Like a shiny new penny.

All good, because there is no wrong colour!

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
midcow3 (12-05-22)
Old 12-05-22, 07:15 PM
Mkx2go
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Two knees, you got me beat! Just a hip soon, I hope...Covid!!!

I've noticed all your red vehicles. Funny out of all the too many vehicles I've owned, I have never had a red one. Back in the 70's my hair was reddish orange and I thought red would be too much, ah what a dumb young man I was. I did have two orange cars along the road. Painted a 1972 Datsun 240z a bright copper, that was nice. Like a shiny new penny.

All good, because there is no wrong colour!

Cheers
Small world I painted my 1972 Datsun 240Z from Orange to Blue...
Old 12-06-22, 06:34 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 105 Posts

Just to stay with part of this theme...I graduated from college in 1971. 3 of my last 4 cars (I buy way too often often--but I digress) were in the pewter gray/cloudburst gray color. All my cars for decades have been high end badges. This will be my first Lexus. I initially got in line for a Cloudburst Grey with Rioja but I was struck by the Atomic Silver as well (same interior). A few days ago I told my sales guy I'm willing to take either. I may be due for a change in color!. Plus it increases my possibilities. Supposedly I'm next in line for a 350h (unless people waiting longer decide to jump the shark to another model and vacate their original choice, they could leap frog line ahead of me) with a new allocation arriving this week. The more I've seen of the Atomic Silver the more I like it. I've really enjoyed reading all the different takes on color. Very interesting and I hope everyone gets their car and their color soon. That's the harder part now.
The following 2 users liked this post by romer:
Doug007 (12-07-22), lsft (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 04:52 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by romer
Just to stay with part of this theme...I graduated from college in 1971. 3 of my last 4 cars (I buy way too often often--but I digress) were in the pewter gray/cloudburst gray color. All my cars for decades have been high end badges. This will be my first Lexus. I initially got in line for a Cloudburst Grey with Rioja but I was struck by the Atomic Silver as well (same interior). A few days ago I told my sales guy I'm willing to take either. I may be due for a change in color!. Plus it increases my possibilities. Supposedly I'm next in line for a 350h (unless people waiting longer decide to jump the shark to another model and vacate their original choice, they could leap frog line ahead of me) with a new allocation arriving this week. The more I've seen of the Atomic Silver the more I like it. I've really enjoyed reading all the different takes on color. Very interesting and I hope everyone gets their car and their color soon. That's the harder part now.
Wanted atomic silver when we bought our 2017 ES and RX but the color was not available and settled for silver lining. Atomic silver is unique to Lexus. If you see the color you know it is a Lexus. It does not show dirt. It looks so different depending on the lighting. One shade is sunlight another at dusk and another under parking lot lights.
Old 12-07-22, 05:37 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I'll make a more general comment about vehicle colors.

There are some colors that have consistently been popular over many decades. Those colors include whites, silvers, grays, and blacks. They were popular 25 years ago. They were popular 10 years ago. They remain popular today, and I'd confidently guess that they will be popular 10 years from now.

On the other hand, other colors, such as oranges and yellows, periodically spike with regard to their popularity. During those times of popularity, they can look to be very sharp, but, within a few years, their popularity fades, they quickly look dated, and their re-sale value plummets. At the same time, many of the white, silver, gray, and black cars can still look to be "contemporary" even after they are several years old.

I'm also confident in guessing that some of today's newly popular colors will, in a few years, lose that popularity and appeal.
The following 4 users liked this post by lesz:
anoop (12-07-22), dklanecky1 (12-07-22), pro001 (12-08-22), romer (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 05:53 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lesz

There are some colors that have consistently been popular over many decades. Those colors include whites, silvers, grays, and blacks. They were popular 25 years ago. They were popular 10 years ago. They remain popular today, and I'd confidently guess that they will be popular 10 years from now.

On the other hand, other colors, such as oranges and yellows, periodically spike with regard to their popularity. During those times of popularity, they can look to be very sharp, but, within a few years, their popularity fades, they quickly look dated, and their re-sale value plummets. At the same time, many of the white, silver, gray, and black cars can still look to be "contemporary" even after they are several years old.

I'm also confident in guessing that some of today's newly popular colors will, in a few years, lose that popularity and appeal.
So Henry Ford was a visionary

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 12-07-22, 05:57 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Louder colors can be easier to spot in traffic, which could help with safety. Not much, but every little bit helps. I used to drive a silver Miata and felt so invisible, especially when it was raining.
Our second car is a 2006 MX-5 in velocity red. We decided to keep with the theme of red in our garage with Redline. I have DRL's and a brake light pulser on the MX-5...I drive it like I'm invisible even with the bright color and lights.
blueless (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 06:20 AM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

We had an orange Vitara for several years and loved it! - so did someone else who parked next to us….
The following 3 users liked this post by hintonwood:
blueless (12-07-22), Doug007 (12-07-22), pro001 (12-08-22)
Old 12-07-22, 07:49 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz

It really depends on how you are keeping the car. If you are leasing the car, you won't have to worry much about the re-sale values. If you plan to drive it until you cannot, who cares about re-sale values too. The only people who care about re-sale value is the people who plan to keep it about 6-8 years and then sell it off. In fact, I don't want you all picking Cadmium Orange, as I still want to be unique
The following 2 users liked this post by lsft:
blueless (12-07-22), pro001 (12-08-22)
Old 12-07-22, 08:29 AM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts
Question "Which Colors Help and Hurt a Car's Resale Value?"

I recall reading somewhere that uncommon colors may take longer to sell, but will sell at or above average price, all else being equal. A common color will have many competitors on the market. An "unusual" color will have fewer fans, but those fans will pay more. Also, as LSFT said, resale value is not necessarily a major factor for everyone.

There's this article: Link: Car Color and Its Effect on Value . One finding is that vehicle type plays a role in color and value. Orange might be less suitable for an ES sedan, but it'd be great on an SUV like the NX. Ultimately, I think color should be a visceral emotional choice, so your take on this discussion is likely predictive of your color choice.
Three-Year-Old Vehicle Depreciation By Car Color
  1. Yellow (4.5%)
  2. Orange (10.7%)
  3. Purple (13.9%)
  4. Red (14.0%)
  5. Green (14.0%)
  6. Blue (14.3%)
  7. Gray (14.3%)
  8. Beige (14.4%)
  9. Silver (14.8%)
  10. White (15.5%)
  11. Black (16.1%)
  12. Gold (16.7%)
  13. Brown (17.8%)

Last edited by blueless; 12-07-22 at 08:38 AM. Reason: fixed formatting
The following 2 users liked this post by blueless:
hintonwood (12-07-22), pro001 (12-08-22)
Old 12-07-22, 08:43 AM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I recall reading somewhere that uncommon colors may take longer to sell, but will sell at or above average price, all else being equal. A common color will have many competitors on the market. An "unusual" color will have fewer fans, but those fans will pay more. Also, as LSFT said, resale value is not necessarily a major factor for everyone.

There's this article: Link: Car Color and Its Effect on Value . One finding is that vehicle type plays a role in color and value. Orange might be less suitable for an ES sedan, but it'd be great on an SUV like the NX. Ultimately, I think color should be a visceral emotional choice, so your take on this discussion is likely predictive of your color choice.
Three-Year-Old Vehicle Depreciation By Car Color
  1. Yellow (4.5%)
  2. Orange (10.7%)
  3. Purple (13.9%)
  4. Red (14.0%)
  5. Green (14.0%)
  6. Blue (14.3%)
  7. Gray (14.3%)
  8. Beige (14.4%)
  9. Silver (14.8%)
  10. White (15.5%)
  11. Black (16.1%)
  12. Gold (16.7%)
  13. Brown (17.8%)
This correlates with the fact that we got a great trade in value for the orange car, simply because the dealer had a list of people specifically waiting for that colour.

Last edited by hintonwood; 12-07-22 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 07:48 PM
Batty
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my Cadmium Orange NX. It’s a standout but not so obnoxious that’s it looks weird. And it’s absolutely stunning in the sun. That said, you need to get what makes you happy.
Attached Thumbnails 350H Color - How is Cadmium Orange?-fe36a719-aabb-4a7f-9b4d-9a1a66cfec57.jpeg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Batty:
hintonwood (12-07-22), lsft (12-07-22), pro001 (12-08-22)
Old 12-08-22, 11:14 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

My wife has a Prada purse that matches well with this orange.
lsft (12-09-22)

Quick Reply: 350H Color - How is Cadmium Orange?