Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Strange vibration at 40-70 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-22, 06:07 AM
petr4271
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Strange vibration at 40-70 mph

I am starting to pull my hair out. Got 90k on the clock, car recently developed a slight vibration that is progressively worst with cold temperature. Running OEM 19" rims. here is what I did:
- balanced all tires, vibration persists at 40 mph and again 90 mph
- bought 4 new tires and had them balanced, vibration stays at 55 mph exactly
- took it to shop to check hubs, all ok, said rims OK too.
- took to another reputable INDY shop, said 3 rims are bent, so they sent them to be fixed, after that they remounted and balanced tires, test drove it at outside temp 50*F minimum to no vibration. AWESOME
- next day super cold at temp 14*F, vibration is back at 40 mph only

Had car inspected on hoist multiple times for cracked bushings, mounts, any looseness with all being good except one sweating front strut.
I am thinking, its either still bent rim that shows rebellion in cold temp as tire is low profile 265/35 and hardens over night or strut is more serious than just sweating [ already ordered pair of new ones ]

Any input/recommendation will be highly appreciated.
Old 12-13-22, 08:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

@petr4271 - You've got too many conditions intertwined that makes it difficult to single out any one of them as the culprit. The problem may very likely be a combination of two or more of them.

Bent wheels, Oversized, low profile tires (of an unknown brand and whether they are summer or all-season rated)
Cold temperature (tires - especially summer rated tires - don't like cold temperature). Summer tires can flat spot easily in just a matter of mere minutes which will cause a vibration at different speeds until they are warmed-up and become perfectly round again.

I dare say, if you installed high-quality OE size all-season tires on OE wheels you wouldn't have this hair-pulling problem. But I suspect you knew what you were getting into when you changed wheels and tire size. The best way to avoid this is to never get involved with changing wheels and tire sizes drastically in the first place.
Old 12-13-22, 08:58 AM
petr4271
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
@petr4271 - You've got too many conditions intertwined that makes it difficult to single out any one of them as the culprit. The problem may very likely be a combination of two or more of them.

Bent wheels, Oversized, low profile tires (of an unknown brand and whether they are summer or all-season rated)
Cold temperature (tires - especially summer rated tires - don't like cold temperature). Summer tires can flat spot easily in just a matter of mere minutes which will cause a vibration at different speeds until they are warmed-up and become perfectly round again.

I dare say, if you installed high-quality OE size all-season tires on OE wheels you wouldn't have this hair-pulling problem. But I suspect you knew what you were getting into when you changed wheels and tire size. The best way to avoid this is to never get involved with changing wheels and tire sizes drastically in the first place.
I didnt change sizes of rims nor tires at all. I forgot to mention its GS450h f-sport version with original tire size front 235/40r19 and rear 265/35r19, tire brand is Kumho [winter tires], which are supplied as OEM for BMW, Benz, etc. Worth mentioning I like to keep cars in pristine condition with OEM replacement parts.

I will try to put toyota 18 rims that I have on my C-HR and post a progress as I dont want this tread to vanish in quiet. Someone else can benefit from my result in future.

Last edited by petr4271; 12-13-22 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (12-15-22)
Old 12-15-22, 10:12 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

I have no idea how cold is cold? Are you allowing the tires to warm up? Few miles of driving should heat up the tires [specially if you do not over inflate]

Salim
Old 12-16-22, 08:53 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 644 Posts

Isolate the symptoms: drive a bit faster than the speed that causes the vibration and after
checking for traffic shift out of Drive and into Neutral. Let the car coast down through the
previously affected speed(s). If this now displays less or no vibration then your culprit is in
the drivetrain somewhere. Another "shade tree mechanic" technique would involve driving
at the affected speed(s) and lightly applying the brake while still using the throttle to maintain
the speed. If the brakes are causing the vibration you should feel less (or more!) vibration.
Old 12-16-22, 09:32 AM
petr4271
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
Isolate the symptoms: drive a bit faster than the speed that causes the vibration and after
checking for traffic shift out of Drive and into Neutral. Let the car coast down through the
previously affected speed(s). If this now displays less or no vibration then your culprit is in
the drivetrain somewhere. Another "shade tree mechanic" technique would involve driving
at the affected speed(s) and lightly applying the brake while still using the throttle to maintain
the speed. If the brakes are causing the vibration you should feel less (or more!) vibration.
Thanks for your input, i did notice car does not vibrate at all when accelerating. The most vibration happens, when cruising and little less vibration, when slowing down whether with or without presing brake pedal, also shifting to neutral does no difference.
I didnt have a chance to swap the wheels from my C-HR just yet as I drive both cars. Meanwhile Im waiting for front struts + I threw new transmission mount into basket as its cheap and Im sure its worn out after those years. Im not super stressed out of the situation, mainly I take it for research and edu purposes.
Old 12-23-22, 01:13 PM
petr4271
Rookie

Default Update

I had some time today so decided to check front wheels myself after they allegendly been fixed. I lifted up a car and spun them around just to find this. One front wheel is bent as hell, I texted a guy who I paid to have them straightened and he insist its OK not causing any vibration. I call it BS. Now on search for new set of wheel as well.

Old 12-25-22, 02:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by petr4271
I had some time today so decided to check front wheels myself after they allegendly been fixed. I lifted up a car and spun them around just to find this. One front wheel is bent as hell, I texted a guy who I paid to have them straightened and he insist its OK not causing any vibration. I call it BS. Now on search for new set of wheel as well.
If a business is going to do shoddy work you are definitely the customer they want!