Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

450h+ high voltage cable corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22 | 03:46 PM
kkick
5th Gear

Default 450h+ high voltage cable corrosion

Hello everyone. I have been monitoring the ongoing dilemma our counterparts that own rav4 hybrids and primes are experiencing
with the corrosion problems on the high voltage cable. Obviously this is impacting vehicles in areas where salt is mostly used to treat snow covered roads. I know It’s way early to tell but living in michigan it has raised some red, maybe yellow flags for me. I did find this article that does mention the pending class action suit to include the 450h plugin…. have any of you heard, read, or seen anything as it relates to us and this vehicle. Being a first time lexus owner it seems like they would ensure the vehicle is taken care of if something like this arises but..

https://www.torquenews.com/1/toyota-investigates-corroded-cables-rav4-hybrids/amp
Old 12-17-22 | 09:41 AM
chiguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kkick
Hello everyone. I have been monitoring the ongoing dilemma our counterparts that own rav4 hybrids and primes are experiencing
with the corrosion problems on the high voltage cable. Obviously this is impacting vehicles in areas where salt is mostly used to treat snow covered roads. I know It’s way early to tell but living in michigan it has raised some red, maybe yellow flags for me. I did find this article that does mention the pending class action suit to include the 450h plugin…. have any of you heard, read, or seen anything as it relates to us and this vehicle. Being a first time lexus owner it seems like they would ensure the vehicle is taken care of if something like this arises but..

https://www.torquenews.com/1/toyota-...v4-hybrids/amp
The article you link to is the latest news I have seen on the issue. I did find an article earlier this year about the US class action suit that has been filed and emailed the law firm and asked to kept informed of developments. You can email them at josephsantoli002@gmail.com if you wish to do the same.
The following users liked this post:
kkick (12-17-22)
Old 02-27-23 | 08:53 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

I don't believe the latest generation NX hybrids will have this issue as the updated design for the cable connection to allow trapped water to exit the connection was implemented on the NX new design from the beginning, along with a large cover to shield from debris and water that is also now being installed on later Rav4 hybrids and Prime models too. It also mentions that an extended warranty is now applied to affected Toyota vehicles. See the video below start around the 8 minute mark and Amd (the YouTube host's name) points out the issue and the fix for Toyota's then if you watch the other video for new NX you will notice the cover is present as well.

See around 13 minute mark on this video below made over a year ago when NX first launched and while Amd doesn't mention it, you can clearly see the new plastic cover is present, it's kinda triangular shaped right at the centreline of axle covering the mgr rear axle motor.

Last edited by TheCDN; 02-27-23 at 08:59 AM.