Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

2023 nx350h vs 2023 rx350h

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 09:14 AM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Last weekend, we went to a dealer here in Vancouver (Canada). We looked at both the NX350h and the RX350h. We’re a family of 4 plus a medium sized dog. We felt the NX was sort of cramped. It also felt smaller (narrower and shorter) than my mom’s 2019 RAV4 hybrid.

We ended up putting a deposit down and ordered a RX 350h in Iridium with the Ultra Luxury package. The sales person said the wait can be anywhere between 5-8 months. Out of curiosity, he said the wait for the NX is probably longer.
Old 01-13-23, 09:33 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
Last weekend, we went to a dealer here in Vancouver (Canada). We looked at both the NX350h and the RX350h. We’re a family of 4 plus a medium sized dog. We felt the NX was sort of cramped. It also felt smaller (narrower and shorter) than my mom’s 2019 RAV4 hybrid.

We ended up putting a deposit down and ordered a RX 350h in Iridium with the Ultra Luxury package. The sales person said the wait can be anywhere between 5-8 months. Out of curiosity, he said the wait for the NX is probably longer.
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure the comparison with the Rav is accurate, though. The new generation NX is a bit bigger but lower. Guess I'll find out though, looks like I'll be buying a Rav for the interim car.

For your situation, the RX will definitely work much better.

I want the Mark Levinson sound system, the seats with the adjustable thigh support and 4 way lumbar support, so that means Executive package and therein lies the loooong delay. They launched the ultra lux packages in the RX and NX because of the ML parts shortages. There are a few other differences to justify the ~ $4K price differential.

The longer delay for the NX might be due to production bottlenecks and parts issues as they are built on the same line as the Rav4. Demand for both is through the roof. The RX is built in a dedicated facility in Cambridge.
Old 01-16-23, 06:44 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

We are in the exact situation here. Plan to get the NXH instead of the RXH. Don't need that much backseats anymore as my son is almost driving age and for longer trip my 2017 ES350 is more comfortable and quieter. Plus the $10K+ difference can go to my Rolex fund.
Old 01-20-23, 07:33 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

So we pulled the trigger on an NX350H. Found a dealer that had one in his pipeline which was not allocated. Executive package, atomic silver, palomino interior. Scheduled for arrival Feb 2 - 18, but they are trying to bring that forward. Hopefully they can as my rental coverage is almost up.

Thanks for all teh thoughts over the past few weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by JasDmw:
Edison_Chen (01-20-23), romer (01-20-23)
Old 02-11-23, 03:35 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm on this same dilemna. Going to try out gas versions today since the hybrids seem hard to come by. With the options I want (specifically the pan roof), the price differential is only about $3,000.
I don't need the space, and prefer the NX size. I think the interior materials look a lot better in the RX. I'm curious to see if these impressions remain true in person.
I've always preferred loaner NX to RX models, mostly due to the super light steering and high center of gravity feeling of the last gen RX. Any comments on these attributes from people who have driven both new generations? Also, any thoughts on people who have driven the gas version versus the hybrid on low speed acceleration? Our commute is mostly stop and go city driving.
Old 02-11-23, 04:13 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Wife bought a 2023 NX 350h in December of 2022. She loves it. I drive it a little bit and also really enjoy the looks, solid feel and quiet drive. We are averaging 40 mpg and it is winter and the engine not broken in. I am on the waiting list for a 2023 RX 350h. I go back and forth about switching to also a NX 350h. Hers is pearl white and I would get the atomic silver. I am 6:4 225 lbs and have plenty of room. I currently have a 2017 RX 450h which I really enjoy.
My pros and cons for both.
NX
like the exterior looks better than the RX
less expensive
better gas mileage
comes in atomic silver
Back seat is limited but rarely have anyone in the back

RX
loves the bamboo wood accent that the NX does not have
like the looks of the interior better
more room especially the back seat.
great gas mileage for that size SUV but less than the NX
no atomic silver would get another pearl white or iridium

Of these choices can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by Freds430; 02-11-23 at 04:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LilyTiger (03-21-23)
Old 02-11-23, 05:41 AM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My wife has a 2023 NX 350h. We have never owned an RX but I drove one (2020) for a few days when a friend at work was sick and gave me his car to run some errands for him. My take is that the NX focus is on "nimble", while RX focus is on "comfort". The RX is significantly more quiet and has a better, more comfortable ride.
I dont know if the 2023 RX will preserve the character of previous generation, though.
NX is really loud for a premium vehicle and price range. While at slow, steady speed it is reasonably quiet, when accelerating it's more noisy than my daughter's KIA SOUL, lol.
Old 02-11-23, 01:34 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by katekebo
My wife has a 2023 NX 350h. We have never owned an RX but I drove one (2020) for a few days when a friend at work was sick and gave me his car to run some errands for him. My take is that the NX focus is on "nimble", while RX focus is on "comfort". The RX is significantly more quiet and has a better, more comfortable ride.
I dont know if the 2023 RX will preserve the character of previous generation, though.
NX is really loud for a premium vehicle and price range. While at slow, steady speed it is reasonably quiet, when accelerating it's more noisy than my daughter's KIA SOUL, lol.
Have a 2017 RX 450h and we traded in wife's 2017 ES 300h both very quiet. Her 2023 NX 350h is just as quiet. Alex on Autos probably YouTubes #1 car reviewer gave the 2023 NX an A- on cabin noise. He also gave it a A on handling, A+ in gas mileage and an A- on ride. J D Power just this week's 2023 dependability study was released and the NX again was the most dependable compact premium SUV.

Last edited by Freds430; 02-11-23 at 01:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
dklanecky1 (02-13-23), romer (02-11-23)
Old 02-12-23, 03:34 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Update - we drove the MDX, NX350 and RX350. Between these three, the Lexi definitely felt more peppy off the line and had better steering feel. The Acura seemed to have nicer materials and it's interior design was more appealing to me. I definitely noticed some NVH with the gas versions of the Lexus products, and at one point the transmission was in too high a gear it felt and sounded very coarse. All of these observations were gleaned over short (5 minute) test drives.

We ruled out the MDX due to our heavy city driving - it just felt too sluggish off the line and we have no need for 3 rows. When we got our XC60, the other vehicle we looked at was a current gen RDX. That powertrain combo is very busy, always shifting in city speeds, and the suspension struggles with poor road conditions which are our main tourist attraction in Philadelphia. For these reasons, we did not consider an RDX this time.

Between the NX350 and RX350, they overall felt pretty similar in terms of acceleration. The steering was a little heavier on the NX (which I prefer), the materials seemed better in the RX. The NX felt sportier (possibly due to the size and seats rather than driving feel), the RX felt more comfortable. However, the RX had a clear wobble in the ride when coasting at midrange speeds. Likely something with this particular one, or caused by the 21 inch wheels which we would not get. The NX had 18 inchers. Overall, they felt more similar than different, which is a good thing. I would say let space considerations be your guide. We prefer both the size and feel of the NX, so we're going that route.

However, the hybrids of either seem very hard to come by. It sounds like a 6 - 8 month wait if we're flexible with color and options. There is no such thing as an order, like BMW or Porsches we've done in the past. There also are reported shortages in ML radios, which then causes a problem sourcing pan roofs (not sure why Lexus makes those linked) and even white paint. What a cluster!

We're still deciding if we want to get on the list for an NX hybrid, compromise on an NX gasser (of which there are plenty) or do something else. RX and MDX have been ruled out.

Old 02-12-23, 04:42 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Update - we drove the MDX, NX350 and RX350. Between these three, the Lexi definitely felt more peppy off the line and had better steering feel. The Acura seemed to have nicer materials and it's interior design was more appealing to me. I definitely noticed some NVH with the gas versions of the Lexus products, and at one point the transmission was in too high a gear it felt and sounded very coarse. All of these observations were gleaned over short (5 minute) test drives.

We ruled out the MDX due to our heavy city driving - it just felt too sluggish off the line and we have no need for 3 rows. When we got our XC60, the other vehicle we looked at was a current gen RDX. That powertrain combo is very busy, always shifting in city speeds, and the suspension struggles with poor road conditions which are our main tourist attraction in Philadelphia. For these reasons, we did not consider an RDX this time.

Between the NX350 and RX350, they overall felt pretty similar in terms of acceleration. The steering was a little heavier on the NX (which I prefer), the materials seemed better in the RX. The NX felt sportier (possibly due to the size and seats rather than driving feel), the RX felt more comfortable. However, the RX had a clear wobble in the ride when coasting at midrange speeds. Likely something with this particular one, or caused by the 21 inch wheels which we would not get. The NX had 18 inchers. Overall, they felt more similar than different, which is a good thing. I would say let space considerations be your guide. We prefer both the size and feel of the NX, so we're going that route.

However, the hybrids of either seem very hard to come by. It sounds like a 6 - 8 month wait if we're flexible with color and options. There is no such thing as an order, like BMW or Porsches we've done in the past. There also are reported shortages in ML radios, which then causes a problem sourcing pan roofs (not sure why Lexus makes those linked) and even white paint. What a cluster!

We're still deciding if we want to get on the list for an NX hybrid, compromise on an NX gasser (of which there are plenty) or do something else. RX and MDX have been ruled out.
If you do heavy city driving like us my $.02 wait for the NX 350h. Friend just received her atomic silver incredible looking and waited four months. She and my wife mostly city driving are averaging a little over 40 mpg. This is in cold weather and the engine not broken in. Good choice with the RX or NX. Both were just named most dependable by J D Power in the 2023 dependability study in the compact and midsize premium SUV category again. Lexus again was named #1 overall. Acura was 21 out of 32. I have owned seven Acura's and were great reliable vehicles. In 2012 went over to Lexus. Acura is not Acura 10 to 15 years ago. They were consistently in the top five. The RX was named in the 2023 survey the most reliable of all the vehicles they surveyed.
TheRas900 (02-13-23)
Old 02-12-23, 05:04 AM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

A word about the wait time. We got a 350h for my wife in December. When we started to look for one in October we were also told 6 months. We left our data and desired specs with two dealers in two different cities 120 miles apart. We also left $1000 refundable deposits with both. Long story short, both dealers started calling us with info about upcoming allocation as soon as mid--November. By early December both had something coming in that was close to what we were looking for. Not 100% match, but very close in terms of colors, trim, equipment. We picked one on Dec 10, and the other dealer returned us the deposit. I would take the wait time with a grain of salt.
TheRas900 (02-13-23)
Old 02-12-23, 05:21 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

We found one unallocated in a dealers pipeline Jan 19th. We pick it up Tuesday, found that out yesterday. Suggest anyone looking shop around with different dealers (we spoke with 4). Ours is a 350h, Atomic silver on palomino interior, Executive package (Canada) with all the available goodies including ML and the pano roof. That same dealer had a deal cancellation last week, same car only in black. We didn't want black so we passed; it went to the net customer in line. Seems the higher interest rates are starting to affect deals.

So as stated above, be persistent and shop other dealers. They are being built and if you're timing is right and the stars have aligned, you'll get one you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by JasDmw:
Freds430 (02-12-23), TheRas900 (02-13-23)
Old 02-12-23, 06:15 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JasDmw
We found one unallocated in a dealers pipeline Jan 19th. We pick it up Tuesday, found that out yesterday. Suggest anyone looking shop around with different dealers (we spoke with 4). Ours is a 350h, Atomic silver on palomino interior, Executive package (Canada) with all the available goodies including ML and the pano roof. That same dealer had a deal cancellation last week, same car only in black. We didn't want black so we passed; it went to the net customer in line. Seems the higher interest rates are starting to affect deals.

So as stated above, be persistent and shop other dealers. They are being built and if you're timing is right and the stars have aligned, you'll get one you want.
Wife bought a 2023 pearl white with the palomino interior in December. This January friend bought your exact color combo. IMO both are incredibly attractive. Both I installed the puddle lights in the doors and trunk. Washed and sealed with Adams Graphene ceramic advanced spray. The shine is incredible. Reviews on Youtube are great with a two year durability. I will do every six months. Takes less the 30 minutes. Wipe on let dry for 2-3 minutes and wipe off.

Old 02-12-23, 07:38 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Can you say more about the difference in seats between RX and NX? They look very similar in pictures.

I’ve been waiting for an NX 350h since last August but I’m picky about White/Palomino/Luxury especially since they are asking for markup on hybrids. I take it you’re not getting Luxury because that comes with 20” wheels. The 2 things I don’t like about the NX have to do with tires — I don’t like the 20” wheels just because I want a nicer interior and I don’t like that they use run flat tires.

I don’t see any of the doom that some folks are calling for playing out in the new car market since supply is very constrained. The prices of regular new cars didn’t move up like for EVs.

If you are looking for regular hybrid in a luxury SUV, I don’t think there’s any other choice.

The RDX Advance should have a slightly better suspension for bad roads. Not sure which trim you tried before.

Last edited by anoop; 02-12-23 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-13-23, 06:29 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Originally Posted by anoop
Can you say more about the difference in seats between RX and NX? They look very similar in pictures.

I’ve been waiting for an NX 350h since last August but I’m picky about White/Palomino/Luxury especially since they are asking for markup on hybrids. I take it you’re not getting Luxury because that comes with 20” wheels. The 2 things I don’t like about the NX have to do with tires — I don’t like the 20” wheels just because I want a nicer interior and I don’t like that they use run flat tires.

I don’t see any of the doom that some folks are calling for playing out in the new car market since supply is very constrained. The prices of regular new cars didn’t move up like for EVs.

If you are looking for regular hybrid in a luxury SUV, I don’t think there’s any other choice.

The RDX Advance should have a slightly better suspension for bad roads. Not sure which trim you tried before.
The NX seats definitely have more bolstering on the sides.
We too are looking for Palomino, and either White, Black, Grey or Silver in that order. I wish there was more flexibility with options, as we want the nicer interior but not the 20 inch wheels. We haven't decided which compromise to make yet.
We did try the RDX Advance and it was still pretty bouncy. I hear they refined it a little during the midcycle update, but probably not enough to matter for us.

Quick Reply: 2023 nx350h vs 2023 rx350h