Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

2023 nx350h vs 2023 rx350h

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 06:14 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts
Default 2023 nx350h vs 2023 rx350h

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed here yet, I did search but didn't find anything. We were the owners of a 2020 RX350 FSport, which was stolen Dec 21st while we were out of the country. Discovered it was gone when we arrived at the Park N Fly self park lot at Toronto Airport December 29th to collect the car and drive home. So we are shopping for a replacement and I'm looking for input from RX owners who switched to the new generation NX. What's your impression, are you happy with the downsize, any regrets? We are changing models to the hybrid version. I don't want to pay the price for premium fuel as here in Canada it's a massive difference. We had a 2009 RX that needed premium and every time I pumped gas, I felt terrible. Since the drive trains are the same in both vehicles, I'm not sure why I'd want the RX over the NX. Dealer says they are focussed on different segments, NX sporty hot rod ish, RX luxo cruiser. Sounds like sales speak to me. So I need some assistance from those who switched, please.

We test drove both yesterday and the almost $10K difference is a bit hard to swallow. We really don't need all the space in the RX. The big issue is delivery. We are looking for the hybrid in the top Executive model here in Canada. Lead times for both are 6-9 months area right now. I will be forced to buy another car for the interim and the Toyota dealer attached to our Lexus dealer has a 2020 Rav4 Limited of interest.

On a side note, we test drove it yesterday too. It'll do, but the difference between the Rav and the NX is astounding. Drove the Rav first and then the NX. Night and day difference from a NVH perspective. Unfortunately due to the lack of inventory there as well, a 2 year old is selling for essentially the same price as a brand new one!

Thanks in advance for all thoughtful feedback.
Old 01-04-23, 07:09 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Boils down to your preferences

IMHO, except if you're getting the RX500h performance, three other trim levels in the RX lineup have the exact same powertrains as found in the NX save for the NX250. The only differences are in the RX being much larger and certain options being available in much lower trims (like panoramic roof for example).

RX350 = NX350
RX350h = NX350h
RX450h+ = NX450h+

Ultimately, it comes down to your preference. If you're going to be Getting the Executive trim which is the top of the line trim, the question you need to ask yourself is this: do I need the extra space the RX provides or will the NX suit my needs. But if you're getting the RX500h, this discussion is moot😜

In terms of included technology and powertains, there's no difference. Also you have approximately the same wait times. Will you regret it if you buy the RX and later realize the NX would serve you better? Or the reverse?

In the end what really matters is what do you want. Happy New Year!
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 08:50 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I looked at the RX as I wait for an NX. RX runs on non-run-flats and has a spare if that is a consideration. But it gets way out of whack with respect to pricing with dealer markup so definitely out of my budget. If money were no object, that is what I would get.
Old 01-04-23, 09:40 AM
fieldrt
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello
I also looked at the RX while we waited for our NX 350h (Atomic Silver/Executive - Canada), but could not justify the extra money for the RX. This is my first Lexus and I am so happy with the NX now that we have it (picked up the car on Nov 18 after waiting 5 months). I recently drove the 2022 RX (loaner vehicle from the dealership) and it was nothing like the NX; though maybe the 2023 RX is much improved over the 2022. I really like the nimble feel of the NX. It is a lot of fun to drive. I have never bought a top of the line trim package but with the Lexus I have not been disappointed. Like someone else mentioned if run flat tires are an issue or you need the additional space, the RX is likely better but otherwise the NX is very nice. My one major issue (and I have heard rumours there is an update coming) is the wireless Car Play/Android Auto. Rebooting the head unit is a regular occurrence on the NX (but I suspect the RX may suffer the same issues since I think they share the same head end unit).
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Toby
Old 01-04-23, 09:47 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by fieldrt
Hello
I also looked at the RX while we waited for our NX 350h (Atomic Silver/Executive - Canada), but could not justify the extra money for the RX. This is my first Lexus and I am so happy with the NX now that we have it (picked up the car on Nov 18 after waiting 5 months). I recently drove the 2022 RX (loaner vehicle from the dealership) and it was nothing like the NX; though maybe the 2023 RX is much improved over the 2022. I really like the nimble feel of the NX. It is a lot of fun to drive. I have never bought a top of the line trim package but with the Lexus I have not been disappointed. Like someone else mentioned if run flat tires are an issue or you need the additional space, the RX is likely better but otherwise the NX is very nice. My one major issue (and I have heard rumours there is an update coming) is the wireless Car Play/Android Auto. Rebooting the head unit is a regular occurrence on the NX (but I suspect the RX may suffer the same issues since I think they share the same head end unit).
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Toby
Hi Toby. Thanks for the feedback. The 2023 RX is a completely different car to the previous generation so you should see a big difference, as you did. As for the run flats, if I go that way, may try to get the dealership to swap tires before delivery. I've had 1 flat tire in the last 50 years of driving (OK, aging myself!) and do carry CAA here, so for me no spare is not a big deal.
Old 01-04-23, 10:31 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I never owned a RX so can't comment on driving experience. Personally I like the new NX looks more than the redesigned RX. For me, size of the vehicle was one of the top considerations. I don't need a lot of cargo room or rear end space as I rarely have passengers in the back. Also, I would highly recommend the ultra lux or executive trims for the NX, the triple beam with matrix lighting is a must. And sorry to hear about your 2020 RX, the GTA theft ring is no joke.
Old 01-04-23, 01:35 PM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

If you have backseat passengers, the RX is the sensible choice. I chose the NX because it’s small, but I’d hardly ever use the backseat.
And yes, go with hybrid.
Doug007 (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 05:58 PM
Lexus22563
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have the NX 350h and it is able to use 87 octane no problem. The 2023 RX 350h requires 91 octane. I’m pretty sure of this. You’ll feel better about spending less on gas and getting better mpg with the NX 350h. I am very happy with mine.
Old 01-04-23, 06:06 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lexus22563
I have the NX 350h and it is able to use 87 octane no problem. The 2023 RX 350h requires 91 octane. I’m pretty sure of this. You’ll feel better about spending less on gas and getting better mpg with the NX 350h. I am very happy with mine.
Thanks for the feedback. However, both vehicles have the same drive train, so no reason to use different fuel, sales Mgr I'm dealing with confirmed that. There will be a slight MPG difference because of the size differential though.

Old 01-04-23, 07:03 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Thanks for the feedback. However, both vehicles have the same drive train, so no reason to use different fuel, sales Mgr I'm dealing with confirmed that. There will be a slight MPG difference because of the size differential though.
Confired that the RX 350h is just like the NX 350h on octane req from the 20233 RX 350h owner's manual- 91 recommended, min 87. However, gas tank is 17.2 gal.

I think the RX350h is in the range of 400 additional pounds over a NX 350h. With a Japan VIN 22 350h Lux, the weight is 4080 pounds. Not exactly lightweight itself.. So a RX 350, so it will have even less acceleration and lower MPG-

My decision for NX was basically I did not need the back seat room nor wanted the extra weight, overall car size and cost. THE RX seems just a bigger styled NX with the same 350H drive train. I am not particularly fond of either the NX or the RX front grills, but like the NX slightly over the RX Both seemed over styled, but you do know it a Lexus a mile away. LOL. They say that was the purpose. So for me, the RX would be slower, less MPG, cost more. They say the NX is actually slightly larger than the org RX.

Best wishes!

Last edited by gcskoor; 01-04-23 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 08:54 PM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Here's a thread I posted about my 16' RX & my new NX350h:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...and-rx350.html

I haven't driven a 23 RX, but would probably never go back to the much heavier lumbering vehicle having driven my NX. NX is fun (+ faster, +better MPG), my RX was like driving my Dad's Oldsmobile 98.

Old 01-04-23, 08:57 PM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Old 01-04-23, 08:59 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverRx

.... my RX was like driving my Dad's Oldsmobile 98.
You're mean man! 😂🤣
DenverRx (01-04-23)
Old 01-05-23, 05:17 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

I haven't driven a 23 RX, but would probably never go back to the much heavier lumbering vehicle having driven my NX. NX is fun (+ faster, +better MPG), my RX was like driving my Dad's Oldsmobile 98.
Thanks much for the link. That's the type of information I was looking for, although the 22 RX was the previous generation. Still, your comments about ride, noise, acceleration etc. are very helpful. I'm leaning NX now as we really don't need the size of the RX and I can use the almost $10K elsewhere.
Old 01-05-23, 07:17 AM
gwang267
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My mother has had many RX's in the past, 2012 RX350, 2013 RX450h, 2016 RX350, and we ultimately decided on a NX450H+ this time. It really is a matter of if you need the space, and want that large of a vehicle. NX is nice to drive as its smaller and id say just as comfortable (except the noisy run flats which I cant wait to swap out one day). Same drive train, and very similarly equipped.
LStoneX (01-05-23)

Quick Reply: 2023 nx350h vs 2023 rx350h