Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

NX350h brake, issue or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 07:22 AM
Itsmeoscat
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NX350h brake, issue or normal?

Hi all, I'm about 4000km or 2.5 months on our 23 NX350h. We noticed 2 things on our brake, both my wife and myself. The first thing is how brakes work, we both feel that when we step on the brake, nothing or only light force is applied or even sometimes, I feel the car is even going faster, like the braking force is somehow released, and then we must step harder to stop the car, then we can feel the brake engages really harsh. This brings 2 issues, following cars in traffic and parking. We can't follow cars too close because that nothing happens at the first stepping. 2nd is when parking, I have to be prepared before coming to the full stop to avoid hitting the car on the other side or a wall.

Another thing I started to notice about couple of weeks ago are the rust rings on my front rotors, I have some photos attached, are these normal to you guys? I’m in Canada, yes, we do have harsh road condition in winter, but for a 2-month old car?

Old 01-16-23, 07:25 AM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

IMO: normal. I feel like what you are describing is how the Toyota Hybrid system "just is". You have some initial non-brake that is using regen, and then a little more foot on the pedal and the real hydraulic brakes kick in. It is different for sure, but you get used to it
Old 01-16-23, 07:29 AM
Itsmeoscat
Rookie

Originally Posted by CaptAngry
IMO: normal. I feel like what you are describing is how the Toyota Hybrid system "just is". You have some initial non-brake that is using regen, and then a little more foot on the pedal and the real hydraulic brakes kick in. It is different for sure, but you get used to it
Thanks, I forgot to mention, this does not happen all the time, most of time it happens the first drive of a day. If I parked somewhere, say for shopping, and on the way back, the brake is smooth as a normal car.
Old 01-16-23, 11:25 AM
CaptAngry
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

Has it been wet? Many brake systems get "sticky" or "grabby" when exposed to moisture and then sit. It is a combo of rust on the rotors and moisture on the pads. Some types of pads are better than others.
Old 01-16-23, 11:35 AM
Itsmeoscat
Rookie

Originally Posted by CaptAngry
Has it been wet? Many brake systems get "sticky" or "grabby" when exposed to moisture and then sit. It is a combo of rust on the rotors and moisture on the pads. Some types of pads are better than others.
Not sticky or grabby, more like skipping. First step, nothing happens or really light or even feels like a release, when apply more, suddenly more power applies.
Old 01-17-23, 05:14 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

On a Hybrid the first portion of brake is regen only. So if you brake gently, you recharge the battery instead of wasting the energy into heat through friction. So, giving yourself more space will benefit your pocket, the environment and avoid an accident, and avoid getting in a road rage from tailgating.

When you press harder then the friction brakes kick in. It also looks at how fast you push the pedal and how much force is applied to the pedal and adjusts the brake force accordingly.
Old 01-17-23, 06:37 AM
Itsmeoscat
Rookie

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
On a Hybrid the first portion of brake is regen only. So if you brake gently, you recharge the battery instead of wasting the energy into heat through friction. So, giving yourself more space will benefit your pocket, the environment and avoid an accident, and avoid getting in a road rage from tailgating.

When you press harder then the friction brakes kick in. It also looks at how fast you push the pedal and how much force is applied to the pedal and adjusts the brake force accordingly.
Thanks for the answer! The problem is this phenomenon is not consistent, sometimes, the brakes act more smooth or linear, but sometimes short and harsh.
Old 01-17-23, 08:01 AM
Lyndyn
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 350H and I have never experienced what you are describing. The car only has about 3000 miles so far but your situation seems so bizarre to me despite several people writing about how that’s normal. I am going to try to get my car to reproduce that behavior but I would definitely discuss this problem with Lexus service.
Old 01-17-23, 08:36 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

My car does this also. It really seems to be a regen forgetfulness on the first stop of the day. My wife doesn't notice because she drives much more agressive than I do, and when I drive hers on the weekend, the first stop is very bad. Of course she complains when it jerks her in the seat. Those who coast with a little bit of brake drag up to country stop signs, especially coming out of a different car, will be surprised on the first stop.
Old 01-17-23, 09:59 AM
Itsmeoscat
Rookie

Thank guys for your answers!

What about those rust on the front rotor? Do you guys have that? Especially the rust ring on the inner edge?
Old 01-17-23, 10:11 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The 1/4" innermost ring is normal; the next 1/4"-1/2" is not normal for a commuter, but is normal for an occasional driver, especially sitting outside. Unfortunately, this may turn out to wear the pads slightly faster, depending on the quality of both parts. If your oil change place checks the pad thickness, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-18-23, 04:03 AM
gwang267
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsmeoscat
Thank guys for your answers!

What about those rust on the front rotor? Do you guys have that? Especially the rust ring on the inner edge?
what you can do, is go to an empty quiet street, and do some hard braking from a decent speed. This can help re-bed the brakes, and smooth out the surface of your rotors. Also helps in the longevity of your brakes and may help your brake inconsistency issue abit.