Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

RX350h MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 07:29 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
This will impact the results for single tank fills, however, if you track over the long term it will have no impact. As a retired Engineering manager, people who know me would expect me to have a spreadsheet for this, and I do! When I fill my tank I record my total mileage and the display MPG on the credit card receipt. I put this in a spreadsheet later. The actual vs. display MPG values are rarely the same and they are not off in any direction + or - more than the other.

The spreadsheet I have now is for my Mercedes GLE 350 which I am trading for a 2024 RX 350h which should go into production any day now!!!
I do the same but use Fuelly.
Old 11-02-23, 12:18 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Happy to go by the RX computer reading + or -, I am sure it is in the ball park from a practical point of view. Good on you folks however who are willing to bring a more scientific approach, to be honest I am a bit lazy and will allow technology work it out for me on this one.
The computer tells me that I am getting 6.3 liters per 100 km (Running average since purchase Jun 23). Cheers
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (11-05-23)
Old 11-02-23, 12:33 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Settled assumptions

I've owned my 23 350h since Jan 25 of this year, and I was really worried about MGP at first. After nine months and 4,000 miles, I'm consistently getting 32.5 mpg. I've concluded that there is no way to compare my situation with anyone else on here. I live in a very hilly area, which naturally cuts down on my mpg. And no two people drive exactly the same way. So, even if I never average the 34 to 37 some on here and Lexus talks about, I'm happy with the car. It is a great ride. It's good-looking and comfortable to drive. And over the course of my planned ownership, the cost difference is minimal from 32 to 37. I'm sure none of you are obsessing about this; just using mpg as a conversation issue. It's probably good that I've gotten over my obsession with MPG because there is a good chance that I will trade for a GX 500 next year. That mpg will be nowhere near 30.
CCGS (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 05:44 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

I am ost interested in total miles per tank. Right now it looks like 900 kms per tank at mostly highway speeds (110-125 kph) is what I can get. I can live with that!
CCGS (11-02-23)
Old 11-10-23, 07:13 AM
Darrell1970
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We just took a 3000 mile trip to Reno and back to West Texas. Calculated manually at each fill up and showed 35-37 mpg for my RX 350h (2023) vs. about 34.5 for total avg. Very impressed with ride, comfort, mileage and quietness of vehicle over my 2020 RX 350.
The total avg mileage stays pretty much at 34.x. Has not changed much in the 3 1/2 months I have had my vehicle.

2023 RX 350h AWD Premium Plus, Mica Red with Palomino Interior.
Old 11-13-23, 05:15 PM
anshulargal90
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently took a trip to Shenandoah valley (~700 MI) with my 5 month old RX 350H (5th gen). I loved the comfort and the power my car was able to manage on the uphill drive. Although I must admit, the engine gets very noisy & you can feel the vibrations of it in your feet when it needs the extra juice. I managed to get 31.5 mpg on the entire trip given it was a hilly region drive of about 50-60 miles along the skyline drive. Usually I get about >33.5 mpg (on ~3,500 odo so far).

I noticed another weird thing during my trip. This is the first hybrid car I have owned, so I am curious to know from the fellow members who live in the hilly areas, does the engine constantly rev even if the car is just rolling downhill on an adaptive cruise control at 35 or 25 mph? I noticed this once before when I was driving down in a parking garage at a constant descend, and the engine just started revving as if I was pressing the gas pedal in neutral. But it was in a very early stages so I wasn't sure of the behavior. But now, throughout my skyline north drive (which is mostly downhill), the engine kept revving and it wasn't even in EV mode.

Secondly, I have also had the same issue as others regarding the gas tank capacity. I always get only 11-12 gal of gas on a nearly empty tank (20-25 mi left to empty). I am taking the car to the dealership tomorrow to get the exact specs of how much is the actual usage capacity and how much is for reserve. I will update the post based on their response.
Old 12-15-23, 09:11 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 476 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by anshulargal90

I noticed another weird thing during my trip. This is the first hybrid car I have owned, so I am curious to know from the fellow members who live in the hilly areas, does the engine constantly rev even if the car is just rolling downhill on an adaptive cruise control at 35 or 25 mph? I noticed this once before when I was driving down in a parking garage at a constant descend, and the engine just started revving as if I was pressing the gas pedal in neutral. But it was in a very early stages so I wasn't sure of the behavior. But now, throughout my skyline north drive (which is mostly downhill), the engine kept revving and it wasn't even in EV mode.
The revving is engine braking.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...celerator.html
The following 2 users liked this post by WellsB:
Klamalama (12-17-23), StefanoS (12-18-23)
Old 01-17-24, 01:48 PM
KillerPups
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 27mpg

Just looked and I'm getting only 27mpg after almost 10k miles in my luxury 350h model.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I accelerate slowly and brake slowly to get most recharge. Stay in right and center lanes. Use premium fuel from Costco.

Is something wrong with my car? My ice engine is almost always running even when I start it in the am.

Edit: sorry for typos

Last edited by KillerPups; 01-17-24 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-17-24, 01:56 PM
Lexus-SSA
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerPups
Just looked and I'm getting only 27mpg after almost 10k miles in my luxury model.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I accelerate apology and cradle slowly to get most recharge. Since in right and center lanes. Use premium from Costco.

Is something wrong with my car my ice engine is almost always running even when I start it in the am.
Do you have the 350h or 500h?
The 350h usually get about 36MPG
Old 01-17-24, 01:59 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Just looked and I'm getting only 27mpg after almost 10k miles in my luxury model.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I accelerate apology and cradle slowly to get most recharge. Since in right and center lanes. Use premium from Costco.

Is something wrong with my car my ice engine is almost always running even when I start it in the am.
The 350h should get 35MPG on regular gas if you mainly run in ECO mode. Your number sound normal for the 500h running premium gasoline.
Old 01-17-24, 02:15 PM
KillerPups
7th Gear

Originally Posted by daryll40
The 350h should get 35MPG on regular gas if you mainly run in ECO mode. Your number sound normal for the 500h running premium gasoline.
I run normal mode. Guess I should try. 350h so I am concerned
Old 01-17-24, 02:47 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 476 Likes on 285 Posts

Just looked and I'm getting only 27mpg after almost 10k miles in my luxury 350h model.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I accelerate slowly and brake slowly to get most recharge. Stay in right and center lanes. Use premium fuel from Costco.

Is something wrong with my car? My ice engine is almost always running even when I start it in the am.

Edit: sorry for typos
Is 27 mpg your lifetime average, or just what you have been averaging recently? That does seem low if it's the lifetime average, but the extreme cold many are seeing recently would have an impact on recent averages. Keep in mind that selecting front defrost will make the ICE run constantly.

Our RX450h+ has averaged 34mpg over 7,200 miles, not including EV usage, but some tanks have been a low as 28 mpg. High speed (75-80 mph) and/or mountainous roads have been the reason for our low fuel economy runs. I've also noticed poor fuel economy for very short trips where the engine doesn't ever warm up fully. I've never used eco mode and always run 91 octane fuel.
Old 01-17-24, 02:53 PM
Lexus-SSA
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

I run normal mode. Guess I should try. 350h so I am concerned
My experience with my 350h:
  • I run in ECO mode almost all the time and I get about 36MPG
  • If I use any of the following, the 36 MPG goes down drastically
    • AC, Heater, Seat heaters, Steering heater, S-mode, Heavy foot on the gas pedal
mds (01-20-24)
Old 01-17-24, 02:58 PM
KillerPups
7th Gear

Originally Posted by WellsB
Is 27 mpg your lifetime average, or just what you have been averaging recently? That does seem low if it's the lifetime average, but the extreme cold many are seeing recently would have an impact on recent averages. Keep in mind that selecting front defrost will make the ICE run constantly.

Our RX450h+ has averaged 34mpg over 7,200 miles, not including EV usage, but some tanks have been a low as 28 mpg. High speed (75-80 mph) and/or mountainous roads have been the reason for our low fuel economy runs. I've also noticed poor fuel economy for very short trips where the engine doesn't ever warm up fully. I've never used eco mode and always run 91 octane fuel.
27 is total lifetime nearing 10k miles . When I first got car i was around 37 and it has been trending downward for a while but I didn't realize things had gotten this bad. A while back I changed my display to show the battery instead of mileage. Today I changed it back and was shocked.

I live in NJ. Warming up definitely isn't doing me any favors. It usually runs the entire 10 min warmup cycle and sometimes more.

I wish I would have gone with the 450 but it wasn't an option in 23 unfortunately. Most of my driving is short trips under 10 miles.

Very disappointed in this car so far. Wish it had a v6 at least
mds (01-20-24)
Old 01-17-24, 02:59 PM
KillerPups
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Lexus-SSA
My experience with my 350h:
  • I run in ECO mode almost all the time and I get about 36MPG
  • If I use any of the following, the 36 MPG goes down drastically
    • AC, Heater, Seat heaters, Steering heater, S-mode, Heavy foot on the gas pedal
Is it still a luxury car if you turn off all the comforts ?? Goodness
maybe this is where I'm going wrong.

Quick Reply: RX350h MPG