Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

RX350h Ownership Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 04:54 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 427 Likes on 290 Posts
Default RX350h 120 Day "Nitpicks"

As I've mentioned on multiple threads, my 2023 RX350h is my favorite Lexus so far, purchased just after this past New Year's day. I've been driving them since my 1989 purchase of one of the first LS400s and have had many, mostly LS and RX Lexuses. All of that being said, here are my 120 days ownership "nitpicks", in order of annoyance:

1: No horn option in the app. To use when you "lose" the car in a crowded parking lot. The annoyance is compounded by the fact that some RX owners DO have a horn option and some do not, and there is no apparent rhyme or reason why this is. Some sort of inattention to software detail. And the annoyance is compounded because the "panic button" is old-school tech with the FOB, but the new tech Digital Key deletes this useful feature. For some of us.

2: The need to "wake up" the audio control on the left steering wheel touchpad. Depending on if you incidentally "pretouched" it or not, it may need waking up or it may not. You have to really think about it which somewhat defeats the purpose.

3: More inattention to software detail with regards to Siri integration. Specifically, if you don't remember to turn down the radio, the loud volume "locks in" after summoning Siri and you can't hear Siri.

4: No tire pressure display option in driver's steering wheel screen area or on HUD. You have to push a bunch of touches on the main screen to get there. My old 2020RX had an easy toggle on to see it on the steering wheel screen area. I miss that. I'm somewhat OCD about proper tire pressure.

5: Inattention to software detail with regard to the Digital Key. It does not allow "close and lock" of the rear hatch. Not really a big deal but annoying.

5a: Along the lines of Digital Key issue is the fact that there was a software update a few weeks ago, overnight, that was mandatory and required the FOB to reinstall. This could have been a disaster if I was out of town. I would not leave town without the FOB, ESPECIALLY after this. When Lexus updates the software, it should not be "immediately mandatory". Meaning that the Digital Key should continue to work under the current/prior installation until the driver has the FOB available on his/her own time.

5b: There should be some way to have the Digital Key on all the time, without having to have the app open in the background, and without hugely draining the phone battery. This is aspirational, as opening the app is something most of us now do most of the time for all sorts of stuff anyway. But this makes the Digital Key less seamless than the 1989 technology FOB.

6. The autopark isn't ready for prime time. I get it that it's still somewhat experimental, but perhaps it should be included at no charge while for a few years until it's better evolved. Many of us have this because it's a seller's market and Lexus can get what they can get. But I'd never recommend paying for this if there was a choice.

As an aside, I've found that all of the driving assist technology (except autopark) is excellent. It was hard to get used to at first, and I turned stuff off because I didn't trust or understand it. But I've come to the conclusion that leaving all of it on is the way to go. I trust the driving assist technology more than I trust myself, I've found.

Again, this is my favorite Lexus so far, and I've had many. But these "nitpicks" are annoying. All should be fixable with software updates. I hope Lexus is listening. Feel free to add your own "nitpicks".

Last edited by daryll40; 05-04-23 at 05:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (05-04-23)
Old 05-04-23, 05:28 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I would like a user optional window in the LCD screen where you could assign data you would like visible all the time. Things like tire pressure would be very nice to glance at. The screen is huge so a little for the vital functions your would like to see would be great. I enjoy trying to beat my milage everyday and would like a quicker way to reset the total miles per gallon that is always visible in the display. The large LCD is great but sometimes a single button you can hold down for a few seconds would be optimal.

Love my RX, it is right up there with the sold LX570 which seemed old fashioned after being exposed to the tech in the 350h.
The following 2 users liked this post by ggebhardt:
daryll40 (05-04-23), Julius071 (05-05-23)
Old 05-05-23, 11:18 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I would like a user optional window in the LCD screen where you could assign data you would like visible all the time. Things like tire pressure would be very nice to glance at. The screen is huge so a little for the vital functions your would like to see would be great. I enjoy trying to beat my milage everyday and would like a quicker way to reset the total miles per gallon that is always visible in the display. The large LCD is great but sometimes a single button you can hold down for a few seconds would be optimal.

Love my RX, it is right up there with the sold LX570 which seemed old fashioned after being exposed to the tech in the 350h.
but you still have your LX as your profile photo haha.
Old 05-06-23, 02:08 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Julius071
but you still have your LX as your profile photo haha.
Been that way for a while. It is a favorite. It was my 3rd LX.

I have some cat pictures. . . . . .
Old 07-05-23, 07:58 PM
Burghfan56
10th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Burghfan56
Went to the dealer today and walked out having left a deposit for an RX 350h Luxury in Nori Green. Will probably be 3-4 months. We test-drove a non-hybrid Luxury and while we could have gone PP or Luxury, the extra adjustability of the seats was worth the upcharge, in our opinion. The quiet and comfort blew us away. Now we'll see what options are on the ones coming in.

Got a call from our sales rep Monday. A sister dealership had a cancellation for a 350h Luxury Nori Green Pearl/Black, equipped about as well as we could have hoped. More options than we really wanted, but they all come in that way, from what I'm seeing.. Looks like we will take delivery next week - about 11 weeks after placing order. We're excited!

Last edited by Burghfan56; 07-05-23 at 08:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Burghfan56:
ggebhardt (07-07-23), tedward155 (07-05-23), Urlik (07-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 05:37 PM
Lexus-SSA
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 3 month overall review -350h Premium

Hello Members,
I have been reading almost all of the the threads about various questions and issues. Here is my 3-month personal review. Some of my opinion will be subjective since we all don't feel, hear and sense thigs the same way (For example: vibration).
  • Car was made in May 2023
  • No dash separation - I was in Phoenix for 5 days in 110 degrees heat. I guess heat is not the reason for the clips to fail.
  • I feel road vibration, especially on a rough road on the floor of the car and on the gas pedal. My tires are the 19 inch and all on 34PSI.
  • I feel engine vibration on the gas pedal and steering wheel when the engine gets up to 3000 RPM.
  • The engine revs up to 4000 RPM when going on a down hill road. (I drove from LA to Phoenix) and it only did it when driving down hill. The computer uses a combination of speed, road grade, etc. to rev up to 4000 only for engine braking to slow you down. I had the energy monitor on and did not see any regen. once you come to more flat road it goes back to normal behavior.
  • MPG was around 38 throughout the trip
  • AC is fine if you set it up properly- For example S-mode, Auto, etc. In 100 degree weather it was cooling fine.
  • I tried regular and adaptive cruise control and it worked as expected including changing lane on its own when using the blinker.
  • The 4 cylinder Lexus hybrid did well even on a steep uphill. The only issue is the engine growling once it gets to 3000 RPM but keeps up with other V6 engine cars.
  • The car was quiet. No wind noise but you can hear the tires on the rough pavement.
  • I put a temporary PPF on the bumper and nose of the car so it saved me from some paint chips but got some very tiny rock chips on the windshield.
  • The gas tank indicator like others mentioned, shows "Refuel" even though there is still one more bar left and it only takes 13 gallons.
  • No second key fob yet. I am being told maybe in Feb of 2024!
Bottom line, I bought the Lexus for its reputation of being reliable, quite and soft. Overall, I am happy except for the road/engine vibrations and engine growling.
I wish for those of you who have encountered some engine malfunction issue to get it fixed soon or Lexus do a buy back like some had to do.
Regards,
Old 09-07-23, 01:38 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I only have a couple of issues after over 5k.

I would like the vehicle to lock automatically when I walk away of the FOB is no longer detected. I know others would not so Lexus should make a setting that can be disabled. This is not a big deal, my last vehicle just spoiled me.

Filling my 350h up with gas is a pain in the ***! If i pump at any speed other than as slow as the pump will allow the pump hose handle kicks off over and over. I have tried to fully insert to the nozzle to just barely in there and gas backs up the tube kicking off the pump! I have tried inserting the hose at all angles including upside down and it is the same. I just makes gassing up painfully s l o w! I have never owned a vehicle so hard to fill up! I doubt there is anything that can be done, it must the the hose routing to the tank.

Other than that, I love my 350h!
Old 09-14-23, 03:59 AM
khollister
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New (4 days) owner of a 2023 Iridium 350h Premium with optional 14" infotainment, leather/wood heated steering wheel & hatch kick sensor. Found it on the lot!

My wife has a 2019 RAV4 hybrid and I had a 2014 Prius. We also have a 2016 Ram 2500 diesel truck as a tow vehicle for our Airstream.

I am loving the RX so far - the ride, comfort and size are perfect for me. It is reasonably quick, but a bit more oomph would be nice. Looking to add the mudflaps since I live on an unpaved (gravel) road and the bottoms of the doors get messy after it rains.

My main complaints (probably too strong a word):
  • No 1 click way to reset MPG after fillup
  • Constant nagging of proximity sensors - needs an option to have a single beep or kill audio permanently
  • A bit more road noise than ideal.
  • Temperature *****/rings feel cheap as does the plastic trim at the bottom of the steering wheel
  • Plastic fill panel for where the HUD would go rather than a matching upholstered panel
  • Standard 12 speaker audio system is good, not great.
Old 09-14-23, 07:36 AM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 113 Likes on 65 Posts

Just passed 5K miles on my RX 350h Premium+. The car has been great, with few issues of importance. It's quiet, luxurious, and roomy. Power is more than sufficient, but not throw you back in the seat.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. At least once a week a stranger will comment positively on the Copper Crest color. If you don't like this, don't get this color.

I wanted the 350h powertrain because it's not new to Toyota. It's established and proven. I expect it to be bulletproof with ordinary maintenance.

Gas mileage, using mostly Costco regular, has been just a bit below EPA estimates, in ex-urban driving. I expect this to improve.

The real leather seats (not the quasi-aniline) are supple and comfortable.

A few niggling annoyances:

there is not even an option to place real protection (beyond the ineffective film) on the top of the rear bumper to prevent scratches

too much shiny black in the interior, it should only be an accent

the a/c seat effect is too subtle, barely noticeable

needs more physical buttons, a recirculate on/off especially (like the RAV4), and a tire pressure button

the temperature ***** are way overthought and they still lack single degree clicks

the CVT-like effect of the transmission is inferior to planetary gear automatics, it's NOT up to luxury car standards

turned off the annoying audible notifications of the driver monitoring but I can't turn off the monitoring itself, driving with your arm over the middle of the steering wheel gives you a notification

despise the subscription policy for the navigation, will never sign up for it, even the "free" part, your cooperation with it will only encourage future subscriptions on other features

Nothing is perfect, but my grade is 9 out of 10.

Last edited by Klamalama; 09-14-23 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-19-23, 11:11 AM
Bentru
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 3 months and 2 weeks

Exactly 3 1/2 months today with a RX350h premium +

it was a long process to end with the RX

At the beginning my first choice was a emotional one with the WOW factor as #1, a Macan

After talking with different owners I understand that I was not the right person to fit with a Porsche

And I put down what I want from a car…for me is reliability, good value, gas savings, awd, gadget, space, quiet

so I was far from one of my buddies that decide to go with a M2 of BMW with manual transmission

Both same age and retired

After 3 1/2 moths very happy with my choice

conclusion for me
i am more rational with my car choice than some other things

Old 12-07-23, 04:55 PM
Rsnook
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rx350h reviews?

I bought a 2024 rx350h trading in a 2020 Escalade. Escalade awesome but, since it is just my wife and I did not need the space and mileage was less than desireable. So I have driven the rx, read everything I could find, joined this web page. I cannot find very few reviews on the car. All say great, comfortable, Lexus luxury, etc. those that have been driving one for awhile, what are your likes and dislikes. Mine will not be here until sometime after the 8th of December
Old 12-07-23, 06:01 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 113 Likes on 65 Posts

Bought mine in March. Have about 7K miles.
Likes: Roomy, quiet, comfy, sufficient power, excellent gas mileage (on regular), craftsmanship, materials, conveniences, base radio is very good, heated steering and seats work rapidly, digital mirror is excellent, my dealer is actually nice and accommodating.
Dislikes: Noise on hard acceleration, locking button on tailgate is too finicky, driver monitoring can not be turned off 100%, touch sensitive overhead lights are too sensitive, waited 8 months to get a second key, nearest dealer is 1 hour away.
Hates: Subscription services are an abomination and I refuse to use them, on principle.
Old 12-27-23, 12:30 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for all the detailed owner reviews.
This has made me decide to get rid of my RX in 2024 and leave the Lexus brand once and for all. So far it has been a bad experience.
The fit and finish and reliability of a Lexus/Toyota product just isn't what it used to be, and the wafty luxury ride is also gone.

Cheerio

Old 12-28-23, 02:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
Thanks for all the detailed owner reviews.
This has made me decide to get rid of my RX in 2024 and leave the Lexus brand once and for all. So far it has been a bad experience.
The fit and finish and reliability of a Lexus/Toyota product just isn't what it used to be, and the wafty luxury ride is also gone.

Cheerio
‘Best of luck to you on your journey!
Old 02-12-24, 06:10 PM
CaviarES
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2024 RX350h Premium - 48hour impressions

So got a '24 RX 350h Premium - Here are some specs and impressions from first 48h and 250mi -

Caviar(w/Macadamia interior) of course as I am a big fan of the color - matches my '21 ES in name - don't know if it's all the waxing I did on the ES or not but Caviar on the ES feels richer/glossier to me than the RX which is supposed to have premium paint.

Build quality - Canada built and ignoring the 3 year difference it feels only slightly better than he USA built ES - the only slight issue with my ES was rear panel fit which isn't noticeable unless you look - the RX seems perfect. (Comparison with ES otherwise isn't apples to orange but ES feels a lot softer ride wise and noise level wise than the RX if anyone cares.) Seats are super comfy if a bit thinner for my taste - ES is an F-sport so I am used to harder seats and the lack of bolstering on the RX seats feels a bit annoying.

Infotainment - much better than the ES of course - love the huge display and overall feature set but still a tad bit glitchy with wireless Android auto - like it overall. Also non-premium audio is totally acceptable - like it even - compared to utterly crappy one on the ES.

Elephant in the room - the 4cyl - it is totally not a problem with the hybrid and I am glad there are no turbos. But man oh man the 2GR-FKS is something else - few will disagree that the 4 cyl alone is worse in every respect to the legendary v6. But again it is absolutely not a problem - matter of fact the A25A is really good in a hybrid setup.

Noise levels - don't push the 4cyl too hard or you will hear it scream but for a light footed use it's pretty good - 50dB city 55-60dB highway.

MPGs - easy 37 on highways - try harder in city and 41 is doable unless the engine comes on too often. Careless city driving gets you 70% EV ratio easily.

Safety Sense 3.0 - much better than on my ES where it just nannies me all the time to the point where I don't use it at all. Also on the RX the object detection system seems less aggressive / more practical than the ES's older system. The driver monitoring system makes up for the less nannying of the rest of it though - it asks me to "Sit Up" constantly if I slump - ends up improving my posture but it's annoying - I have found a combination of seat height, steering position and seating position which reduces it a bit - but what a stupidly annoying implementation!

Doors are harder to close than my ES. The trunk door with kick sensor works well but makes noises that don't belong on a Lexus - it feels like it is trying to tell you how indestructible it is!

Overall - when I miss the v6 I will take the ES out but the fuel economy and all the other good things on the RX make up for it and there's not another car that comes to mind that I might buy instead.

Last edited by CaviarES; 02-12-24 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: RX350h Ownership Review