Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

RX350h Ownership Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 03:50 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
Post RX350h Ownership Review

Went to a friend’s yesterday, about 40 miles away (and back). LOVE my new ride! I now have pretty much figured out most of the features that I’ll use regularly. The heads up and steering wheel controls are actually very user friendly, despite some YouTube negative reviews, ONCE YOU FIGURE THEM OUT. Easy to toggle between radio channels while watching the road. At first I missed the familiar cruise control “stick”, but the new set up is easy, again, after figuring it out.

The ride is even better than the 2020RX that I traded. It did seem to struggle, just a bit, up the hills of Western Pennsylvania. But I had it in economy mode and was somewhat distracted trying to figure it out, so I wasn’t fully paying attention to the engine. I set it at 66MPH on cruise and I think it slipped to 65 and 64 temporarily. I don’t remember the old car doing that.

The Mark Levenson sound system, which I’ve never had in any of my 15+ Lexi, is excellent, although the sound in the old car was only half-a notch below. I need to “crank it up” on a cruise control ride, after I fully figure out the car, and just “absorb” it. Stay tuned for an update on this at some point soon. So far I’ve been too distracted with the car’s learning curve, to fully listen.

The remote start is WAY improved over the old car. Engine continues to run when you get in, particularly great in 15 degree weather like last night. The heated steering wheel is a big improvement too, as it’s heated all around and has two temperatures to choose from.

The kick sensor seemed to work better than the “sometimes it works, sometimes requires multiple kicks” sensor of my old rear hatch. And the “lock and close, but it waits for you to unload the groceries” thing is a great improvement over the old car.

The camera rear view mirror is a step up, especially when backing into my tight condo parking slot. I played with the auto park and hopefully I’ll learn how to do that condo back-in with it, but I didn’t succeed during a quick attempt.

The extended seat thigh support is a step up.

The “high beams as default” thing has a better switch set up. It’s either on or off, with a definitive push button switch at the end of the stock (where the old GM vehicles had the cruise control button). No more “push the stalk” and never remembering if the other button was on to activate this or not.

I’m having trouble setting up the remote key, but look forward to never carrying the actual key again because I always have my iPhone. And THAT, the phone thing, is an ENORMOUS upgrade from the old car. The seamless and wireless phone connectivity, charging and AppleCarPlay-Google Maps is fabulous. As is the bigger screen. Both “Hey Siri” and “Hey Lexus” seem work well to get me a phone call or radio station. Just as an aside, I actually liked the touch pad in the old car and learned to make it work well for me. I know that I’m in the minority here. That being said, I do not miss it as the new set up is definitely better.

Now a few questions:

1. How can I reorder the radio favorites? I want a certain order to toggle through.

2. I keep getting an error message when putting in my phone number while trying to set up the keyless entry.

3. MPG says 24. I idled the car for a long time playing with the the controls. I think the dealer might have done the same. So I’m not yet concerned about the “far below sticker” MPG at only 100 miles. But how do I reset this to start over and eliminate the idling wasted gas thing?

4. How can I turn off the “you’re not paying attention/ not looking at the road” beeper thing? I’ll generally leave it on, but I’d like the ability to shut it down on occasion (like yesterday when I was carefully driving, but looking at various controls trying to figure out this vehicle).

5. “Mandatory request body attributes missing” is the error message I’m getting when trying to input my phone number to set up the digital key. Is there some easy thing I’m missing that’s causing this?

6. Car WiFi at $20/month. Why would anyone need this? Anyone who can afford a new Lexus has unlimited cell phone service.

I do have one quirky but legitimate complaint: It’s impossible to hand a temporary driver the key to let them use the car, without a 20 minute tutorial. Valet guys, my girlfriend and my adult kids just will go crazy with frustration. And my 86 year old mother and 83 year old aunt will have to have the door opened by me, from the outside, to get out. The controls are easy ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THEM, but not very intuitive at all.

So there you have it. I hope you guys are or will enjoy your 2023RX as much as I’m enjoying mine. I’m so glad I did this, even though my 2020RX was fabulous. This is more fabulous! I do look forward to answers to my questions.

Last edited by daryll40; 01-15-23 at 04:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daryll40:
Ascho (09-14-23), FMY421 (01-15-23), Kapakahi (12-08-23)
Old 01-15-23, 04:40 AM
Hefty
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Went to a friend’s yesterday, about 40 miles away (and back). LOVE my new ride! I now have pretty much figured out most of the features that I’ll use regularly. The heads up and steering wheel controls are actually very user friendly, despite some YouTube negative reviews, ONCE YOU FIGURE THEM OUT. Easy to toggle between radio channels while watching the road. At first I missed the familiar cruise control “stick”, but the new set up is easy, again, after figuring it out.

The ride is even better than the 2020RX that I traded. It did seem to struggle, just a bit, up the hills of Western Pennsylvania. But I had it in economy mode and was somewhat distracted trying to figure it out, so I wasn’t fully paying attention to the engine. I set it at 66MPH on cruise and I think it slipped to 65 and 64 temporarily. I don’t remember the old car doing that.

The Mark Levenson sound system, which I’ve never had in any of my 15+ Lexi, is excellent, although the sound in the old car was only half-a notch below. I need to “crank it up” on a cruise control ride, after I fully figure out the car, and just “absorb” it. Stay tuned for an update on this at some point soon. So far I’ve been too distracted with the car’s learning curve, to fully listen.

The remote start is WAY improved over the old car. Engine continues to run when you get in, particularly great in 15 degree weather like last night. The heated steering wheel is a big improvement too, as it’s heated all around and has two temperatures to choose from.

The kick sensor seemed to work better than the “sometimes it works, sometimes requires multiple kicks” sensor of my old rear hatch. And the “lock and close, but it waits for you to unload the groceries” thing is a great improvement over the old car.

The camera rear view mirror is a step up, especially when backing into my tight condo parking slot. I played with the auto park and hopefully I’ll learn how to do that condo back-in with it, but I didn’t succeed during a quick attempt.

I’m having trouble setting up the remote key, but look forward to never carrying the actual key again because I always have my iPhone. And THAT, the phone thing, is an ENORMOUS upgrade from the old car. The seamless and wireless phone connectivity, charging and AppleCarPlay-Google Maps is fabulous. As is the bigger screen. Both “Hey Siri” and “Hey Lexus” seem work well to get me a phone call or radio station. Just as an aside, I actually liked the touch pad in the old car and learned to make it work well for me. I know that I’m in the minority here. That being said, I do not miss it as the new set up is definitely better.

Now a few questions:

1. How can I reorder the radio favorites? I want a certain order to toggle through.

2. I keep getting an error message when putting in my phone number while trying to set up the keyless entry.

3. MPG says 24. I idled the car for a long time playing with the the controls. I think the dealer might have done the same. So I’m not yet concerned about the “far below sticker” MPG at only 100 miles. But how do I reset this to start over and eliminate the idling wasted gas thing?

4. How can I turn off the “you’re not paying attention/ not looking at the road” beeper thing? I’ll generally leave it on, but I’d like the ability to shut it down on occasion (like yesterday when I was carefully driving, but looking at various controls trying to figure out this vehicle).

5. “Mandatory request body attributes missing” is the error message I’m getting when trying to input my phone number to set up the digital key. Is there some easy thing I’m missing that’s causing this?

6. Car WiFi at $20/month. Why would anyone need this? Anyone who can afford a new Lexus has unlimited cell phone service.

I do have one quirky but legitimate complaint: It’s impossible to hand a temporary driver the key to let them use the car, without a 20 minute tutorial. Valet guys, my girlfriend and my adult kids just will go crazy with frustration. And my 86 year old mother and 83 year old aunt will have to have the door opened by me, from the outside, to get out. The controls are easy ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THEM, but not very intuitive at all.

So there you have it. I hope you guys are or will enjoy your 2023RX as much as I’m enjoying mine. I’m so glad I did this, even though my 2020RX was fabulous. This is more fabulous! I do look forward to answers to my questions.
i can help you with #4. Go into the settings, I think it may be vehicle customization and or safety support. I would spend 15 minutes or so going through all the screens. There are several that can beep at you and I just had to keep searching to find what I was looking for. I turned off the following. I will possibly turn some back on once I get used to the vehicle.

Lane departure alert system
Lane change assist
Proactive driving assist
Steering assist
Deceleration assist
Object anticipation assist
Driver break assist
Traffic Jam assist
Driver monitor recording
Driver monitor

On #3, go into settings trip information and reset or delete history. That will reset your MPG to zero. I really do not like having to go into the infotainment system each time you do this, but that’s how my tech guy at the dealership showed me to do it. Another step backwards on this vehicle in my opinion. I tried to see if I could change the left steering wheel button, but it doesn’t appear that can with the HUD. Maybe some others have found an easier way to do this.

The following users liked this post:
Kapakahi (12-08-23)
Old 01-15-23, 07:47 AM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Auto stop start

Not a fan of Auto stop start. Nice feature is that if you don’t press break too hard, stop start will not activate
Old 01-15-23, 07:55 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bdspilot
Not a fan of Auto stop start. Nice feature is that if you don’t press break too hard, stop start will not activate
I’m not even sure the hybrid has this, other than the back and forth between the electric motors and the gas engine. Our gas Subaru Crosstrek has this and we have gotten used to it.
Old 01-15-23, 08:15 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Isn't there a button to turn off the auto start/stop right next to the gear shift lever? That isn't present on the hybrid, is that what you mean?
Old 01-15-23, 08:19 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Someone asked for a picture. Here it is, just as I took delivery at the dealer. I ordered body side moldings to be installed soon.
The following 4 users liked this post by daryll40:
Edison_Chen (01-15-23), FMY421 (01-15-23), lexusnyca (01-15-23), Mikes94GS3 (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 11:08 AM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

Per #1, select the Radio and choose a station. Press edit on the top right and rearrange your favorite stations, FM, AM and Satellite. When I first bought my car I sat in my driveway with the engine on going through the setup menus. I was initially showing 28mpg in the early days. 45 days later it is up to 35 mpg. I am tempted to reset mine also, but have not decided yet. Hope this helps.

Pictures loaded out of order.

Old 01-15-23, 12:09 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dhill
Per #1, select the Radio and choose a station. Press edit on the top right and rearrange your favorite stations, FM, AM and Satellite. When I first bought my car I sat in my driveway with the engine on going through the setup menus. I was initially showing 28mpg in the early days. 45 days later it is up to 35 mpg. I am tempted to reset mine also, but have not decided yet. Hope this helps.

Pictures loaded out of order.

I tried this, but there is no way to move the order that I could find. Only to delete. HELP!
Old 01-15-23, 01:12 PM
FMY421
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

timestamp 47:32 - Reorder Radio Favorites

or if you want to watch the whole segment:
timestamp 45:13 Audio System: How to Tune to a station, Save Favorites & More
Old 01-15-23, 01:44 PM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Interesting, my 2023 RX 350h screens are different as you can see in my screenshots. To get the to three bars to rearrange the favorites, you have to go into edit mode first, then the three bars show on the left side. Press and hold the three bars and then you can move your favorites.
FMY421 (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 01:54 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Interesting, my 2023 RX 350h screens are different as you can see in my screenshots. To get the to three bars to rearrange the favorites, you have to go into edit mode first, then the three bars show on the left side. Press and hold the three bars and then you can move your favorites.
Son of a gun! It was the “press AND HOLD” part that tripped me up. Now I’ve got it! THANKS to you guys who posted the photos and videos.
FMY421 (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 01:57 PM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by daryll40
Son of a gun! It was the “press AND HOLD” part that tripped me up. Now I’ve got it! THANKS to you guys who posted the photos and videos.
Sorry, forgot to add that to my original post. After 45 days I love this car and have no regrets. I have the Iridium color also, a great look.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dhill:
daryll40 (01-15-23), FMY421 (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 02:04 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Sorry, forgot to add that to my original post. After 45 days I love this car and have no regrets. I have the Iridium color also, a great look.
Nice! Agreed!
Old 01-16-23, 05:21 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Default 2023RX First 100 Miles Report

NOTE: I posted this before but it got moved to they HYBRID TECHNOLOGY subforum, that, frankly, I think most readers will miss. Particularly since most of this has nothing to do with the hybrid stuff, and everything to do with the basic vehicle itself, hybrid or not, I'm reposting here.

The “high beams as default” thing has a better switch set up. It’s either on or off, with a definitive push button switch at the end of the stock (where the old GM vehicles had the cruise control button). No more “push the stalk” and never remembering if the other button was on to activate this or not.

Now a few questions:

7. I don't see the wheel lock key. Could this be my first Lexus without one. Truthfully it was a PITA and I'm not that worried about having my wheels stolen. What's the deal?

Last edited by daryll40; 01-16-23 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-16-23, 07:13 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

For #6, some people want to make their car a hotspot - for example if they have some children and the passengers are all running their own devices in the car, and have a capped data plan - instead they can join the cars WiFi network while riding, and all use that plan. How do you sign up for the plan? Only through Lexus - or can you install a SIM chip from your carrier/plan and get the car on the network that way? Or, does the car support eSIM? If I could get the car online through my own plan, as opposed to a Lexus specific subscription - then its probably a decent deal to get the car itself online.

Quick Reply: RX350h Ownership Review