IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Help! Issues with sound system after engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-24, 09:34 PM
thrill128
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Issues with sound system after engine rebuild

after reinstalling an engine into a 2003 is300, the door speaker quality has be horrible. Static-ish distortion coming from the speaker at all noticeable volumes.

Just to give some context, this is a friend of mine’s car. I am more familiar with 1uz’s rather than 2jzge’s.

Few months ago, my friend blew up his engine in his 2003 is 300, completely stock. Following that, we removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled the engine. He had an aftermarket subwoofer professionally installed before the engine blew up. We noticed we did not connect any of the ground leads other than the main chassis ground going from the battery to the bolt above the passenger side engine mount.

As we noticed after getting the car running again, the door speakers(which where oem stock from 2003) sounded significantly worse than before. Not thinking much other than it being most likely an issue due to age of the speaker, I changed them out. I used the factory left and right for the 6.5” speakers to put in 6.5” coaxials to delete the tweeter, and used the speaker wire adapter plugs to install new 6x9 coaxials in he rear deck.

Install is perfect I promise. I know 100% it is not an issue with the speakers itself. I will say the car has an aftermarket radio(alpine CarPlay unit) and uses a metra harness to cleanly do everything.

We reconnected the ground coming from the transmission to the frame bolt(upgraded it also to 0awg wiring because of the issues we’re having) and upgraded the stock battery to block ground to 0awg and it made a noticeable difference, but nowhere near what it should be.

please, anything, let me know. also, if there are any other grounds than the 2 I mentioned let me know. Everywhere I look I only hear about the main battery ground and that’s it.