IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

what will woid warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 06:52 PM
brandon122
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what will woid warrenty?

My dad has a 03 is300 with the sport design package. I was wondering, if i got him an AEM short ram intake, would that void the warrenty? Also would you all reccomend AEM or would a cheaper bomz cold air intake that you can get off ebay work just as good? Also the cold air intake would not make this car much louder would it. He wants a quiet car still, but i want to get him something for the car.
Old 12-17-03, 06:57 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

if he doesn't plan on doing much to the car... get the srt hfi

www.swiftracing.com
Old 12-17-03, 07:13 PM
brandon122
Driver School Candidate

My dad isnt into modding it or racing it at all. I just want to put somethin little on it, and it cant make the car much louder. Also the milage has to stay about the same.

Last edited by brandon122; 12-17-03 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 08:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well they can only void that part of the warranty if they can prove that whatever defected is caused by the aftermarket parts. if you put in an intake and water gets in and kill the engine, yes they void it. you put on the intake and the shocks go bad, they have to warrant it
Old 12-17-03, 08:38 PM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

A couple of things.

One.
This is not a Civic.

Two.
If you want performance, you will have to spend money.

Three.
Why do you want to put a cheap POS intake on it?

Four.
The intake will make the car louder at WOT.
Old 12-17-03, 08:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Re: what will woid warrenty?

Originally posted by brandon122
My dad has a 03 is300 with the sport design package. I was wondering, if i got him an AEM short ram intake, would that void the warrenty? Also would you all reccomend AEM or would a cheaper bomz cold air intake that you can get off ebay work just as good? Also the cold air intake would not make this car much louder would it. He wants a quiet car still, but i want to get him something for the car.
If you want to get your dad a good present for his IS, don't buy him an intake. An intake will only make his IS louder. That's what he DOES NOT want. right?
Old 12-17-03, 09:44 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you wanted to get an intake that gave a little performance increase and still be relatively quiet, get the PLP intake on sale for $227.

http://www.prolexperformance.com/nav/fproducts.html

As flipside said, it will still make the car louder as any aftermarket intake will, but the PLP is about as quiet as they get.

Performance wise, there is a small gain and some people with insensitive butt-o-meters can't tell any improvement at all.

Looks-wise, it's nothing to write home about unless red grommets turn you on.

The SRT would provide more power, but at a lot higher cost and increased noise level.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-17-03 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 10:08 AM
jespinal
Driver School Candidate

Go with the SRT Intake w/race ECU. It's quiet, i have it on my car and it's very quiet, compare to others.
Old 12-18-03, 11:02 PM
ali1983
Rookie

plp is nice and clean....i bet money the dealer would never notice it if it didn't have the red couplings....

it's quiet...and your dad might like the extra power (being he drives the car regularily)

you run a higher chance of warranty problem with the dealer with a SRT intake and the chance of a CEL light.......but you make more power.

good luck....IMO...use to money to get some like cosmetic things....
Old 12-19-03, 04:25 AM
brandon122
Driver School Candidate

what type of small cosmetic things are there? He has the sport design by the way. But what are some cosmetic things that wouldnt really stand out.
Old 12-19-03, 12:14 PM
ali1983
Rookie

JDM short antenna 25dollars (not as good reception on some weaker stations)

altezza grill, TRD grill, z-edtion grill (new grill in the front)-no downside unless he doesn't like the way it looks.........anywhere from 150 to about 250

tint-don't go to dark, pigs will give you tickets...150+

lower it with a subtle drop (1-1.5 inches)-most aftermarket springs are a little stiffer....but he might like that.....go with a subtle drop so he doesn't have to worry about speed bumps and having to replace the shocks soon....good springs go for 200ish

if your dad is not performance-oriented....he might hate having to listen to the noise created by the SRT intake....

get the brake calipers painted and get the lexus stickers on them (looks really really nice) about 25 dollars

get the sunshade visor stickers (say lexus over the warnings) about 10 dollars

the SRT intake is around 500ish, you could do alot with that much money
or use that money on your own car......?
Old 12-19-03, 02:52 PM
inno521
Driver School Candidate

An intake is a nice gift IMO. However, the SRT intake, Injen intake etc WILL be much louder at WOT. If your dad doesnt gun it he won't notice, but once you gun it, you will hear it roar. Now, the PLP intake that was suggested is nice. It uses the stock airbox, and is relatively quiet in comparison. I have the Injen, it's loud. I like that it has the heat shield, and doesn't throw any CELs.

Regarding warranty, the dealer probably won't hassle you much over an intake but will with the SRT. The SRT has an ecu mod that goes along with is (since it is very large and pulls in a lot of air). If you modify your air/fuel curves the dealer is most likely going to void every warranty relating to your motor. I wouldn't recommend going that way personally.
Old 12-20-03, 08:52 AM
brandon122
Driver School Candidate

i could paint his brake calipers i painted mine on my trans am. He doesnt want tint, or a stiffer ride. He also doesnt ever floor it, he drives it good. Maybe ill just get him a regular gift, and not get something for his car. I was gonna get him both.
or use that money on your own car......?
There isnt really too much i can to now to my car, unless i get a cam or something, which i was thinking of, but wont do it since im onl keeping it for anouther 2 years prob.

Last edited by brandon122; 12-20-03 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-22-03, 09:07 AM
jespinal
Driver School Candidate

I've seen that some of you say that the SRT is loud, Where? I have it on my car and it's not loud at all. I like the extra power you get, If you're going to mod your intake, then go with something that worth it. Why would you want an intake? just to get better Gas Milage? If it's for that then dont get nothing at all.
Old 12-22-03, 08:06 PM
ali1983
Rookie

i don't think a SRT intake would give you better gas mileage....two things mainly

1.you would be induced to get on it (full thottle) smash the gas and hear that thing roar...it takes fuel comsumption to get into those higher rpm's

2 when you get a intake that modifies the car to force in more air...the ECU will try to balance the air/fuel ratio by adding more gasoline to end with a better balanced, better burning mixture.

in the end the intake would hurt your gas mileage unless if the car was orginally running a rich a/f....

Quick Reply: what will woid warrenty?