IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

replacing stock front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-04, 10:05 AM
Calypso13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing stock front bumper

please dont yell at me..im a novice at this..

my mom borrowed my car..and ofcourse scrapped it on the front right side bumper....saying its was "tooo low, she couldnt see"......GRRr..r... scrape is where where the right fog lights are..big white scrapes on the bumper..and even a small area where the paint is OFF and the plastic is now showing...its also on the back of the car..same side.. side..but that doesnt bother me too much....IM PISSED!!! and it really really bothers me. i want to fix it and was told by my other friends i have to replace the whole front lower bumper.

how do i go about fixing this the cheapest way...how much is this gonna cost me with a stock part... part/paint/instalation. where is the best place to go??? I have a mil. silver is 300 2003. any of you guys selling yours???

thanks for your help.
i live in l.a.
Old 01-09-04, 11:35 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: replacing stock front bumper

Well let's see. First if you could post a photo, then it would be easier to describe exactly what your options are, otherwise it's hard for anyone to give the best recommendation. It all depends on the type and extent of the damage.

Your first option should be to take it to a friendly body shop for an estimate and get their recommendation for your options. Unless the plastic has a nasty crack,(which it sounds like it is not) the bumper will be easier to repair than to replace. The bottom line is, repairing or replacing will depend if the labor time to repair it will cost almost the same as replacing it. From your description, it doesn't sound like you need to replace it.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer or know someone who is, you could try to sand down the scratches and/or fill the deeper scratches with a special filler used for flexible bumpers. Then touch up the repaired area with primer and matching spray paint. It might not look perfect, but it should look better than what it currently does.

Since there are a lot of people modding their cars by changing out the bumpers, you have a decent chance of finding a mil. silver bumper that someone will sell you for cheap. Go to the want ads section in IS300.net and try posting a "Want to buy-Silver Bumper" . Being that you are in LA, the odds of finding a used bumper are good.

Good Luck