IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Is300 shifting problem? HELP! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-04, 10:41 PM
kokonutjc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
boy glen, you have your GS for so long already and you never know about that feature? you people you never read the manual

and yes and no to what you said. no it does not DROP to 1st. when you are at the light, it's ALWAYS at 1st, even if you don't gun it. it just starts in 1st that's all. and then 2nd, and then you shift to 3rd, etc... remember, the numeber NEVER EVER means the gear you are in. it means the highest gear you can go..... makes sense now?

and yes when the car is cold, you can NOT go to 1st. that could be one reason. also when the car is in snow mode it will start in 2nd too i believe
Hey thanks for all the replies guys....That just helps me understnad more and less frustrated. hahahaha. Again thanks ! ! !
Old 01-16-04, 12:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by kokonutjc
Hey thanks for all the replies guys....That just helps me understnad more and less frustrated. hahahaha. Again thanks ! ! !
well at least you got your computer reprogrammed for nothing and tell us which dealership you go to, i think i can go straight to be the master tech there.
Old 01-16-04, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Reply to IS300 shifting problem

Also, on the 2001 IS300 E-shift, you will also find a couple of other quirks.....at cold temperatures, 3-4 shifting is delayed for a couple of blocks, and 4-5 is delayed in both Manual and auto modes until the engine temperature reaches 140 degrees. The 4-5 delay is emissons-related to warm the engine and catalyst sooner. Why the short 3-4 delay? Not sure...maybe also temperature and emissions-related. 3rd gear is pretty short in the IS300 and this puts a lot of RPM on a cold engine.
Old 01-20-04, 09:49 AM
mtrappo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if this helps ........... my mother-in-law has an Acura 3.2TL. Hers will automatically shift into a higher gear when it reaches a certain rpm. The rpms are lower when in a lower gear & shifts quicker.
Old 01-21-04, 07:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by mtrappo
Don't know if this helps ........... my mother-in-law has an Acura 3.2TL. Hers will automatically shift into a higher gear when it reaches a certain rpm. The rpms are lower when in a lower gear & shifts quicker.
Yeah, the Honda/Acura Sport Shift system is designed to automatically upshift when it reaches redline or a certain RPM. The Lexus E-Shift system just bounces off the rev limiter and WILL NOT upshift to the next gear.
Old 01-21-04, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Originally posted by flipside909
Yeah, the Honda/Acura Sport Shift system is designed to automatically upshift when it reaches redline or a certain RPM. The Lexus E-Shift system just bounces off the rev limiter and WILL NOT upshift to the next gear.
nop that's not the case. on my TL, if i am in 2nd and i just gun it, it will just keep on hitting the rev limiter
Old 01-23-04, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by flipside909
Yeah. 04 LS430's 6spd is beautiful. I'll ask Liz to take me for a spin tomorrow.

As for the shifting...my 2004 will hit redline in M-Mode in 2 (start in 1st and end up in 2nd). The way E-shift was programmed for the IS, you only have control of upshift/downshift to and from 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th from 2001 to present. You cannot go into 1st because the computer wont allow it....UNLESS you manual row the gears into L through the shift gate. The reason why Lexus only allowed only as low as 2 was to keep people from blowing their motors and tranny so to speak. Why they didn't allow it to be shifted into 1st...but allow all the other Lexus models with E-shift can be shifted into first beats me. 1st is a very short gear to be of any use at all anyways. But yes, in M-Mode 2 of eshift...your gear will start in 1st and go up to 2nd only as Rominl and everyone else explained. The manual explains this too.

Flip, you say that question beats you. I think part of the reason why the E-shift does not allow 2-1 downshifts, can be explained by the difference in final-drive gearing between the IS300 and more sedate Lexus products like the ES and LS. The IS, being primarily a sport sedan, has noticeably shorter gearing than other Lexus products, so an abrupt downshift into 1st at anything except very low speeds would give the drivetrain quite a jolt and, as you suggest, cause major damage. Yes, you can still do it with the lever, but most IS300's are not as likely to be driven as hard with the lever as with the buttons.
Now what has ME beat.....why doesn't the shift lever itself allow a 5-4 downshift?.......you can only go from 5-M-3. It by-passes 4th....you have to hit "M" and press the DOWN button to get 4th. Lexus has never really explained that one. You got any idea?
Old 01-23-04, 11:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Originally posted by mmarshall
Flip, you say that question beats you. I think part of the reason why the E-shift does not allow 2-1 downshifts, can be explained by the difference in final-drive gearing between the IS300 and more sedate Lexus products like the ES and LS. The IS, being primarily a sport sedan, has noticeably shorter gearing than other Lexus products, so an abrupt downshift into 1st at anything except very low speeds would give the drivetrain quite a jolt and, as you suggest, cause major damage. Yes, you can still do it with the lever, but most IS300's are not as likely to be driven as hard with the lever as with the buttons.
Now what has ME beat.....why doesn't the shift lever itself allow a 5-4 downshift?.......you can only go from 5-M-3. It by-passes 4th....you have to hit "M" and press the DOWN button to get 4th. Lexus has never really explained that one. You got any idea?
is 4th gear overdrive?
Old 01-23-04, 12:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Reply

No.......in the E-shift, fourth is not a significant overdrive; it is either a direct 1:1 or very close to it. 5th is a traditional overdrive....but still a little shorter than, say, the ES300's 5th, due to the shorter final drive in the IS300. I think that the engineers who designed the shift lever probably figured that people who wanted (or needed) to downshift from 5th to 4th would probably want the buttons anyway. The buttons are easier to use if you are going in a straight line, but the lever is more convienent in turns.
It's a little odd, but certainly nothing that I'd dump the car for....and you get used to it after a few days.
Old 01-23-04, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Default Re: Reply

Originally posted by mmarshall
No.......in the E-shift, fourth is not a significant overdrive; it is either a direct 1:1 or very close to it. 5th is a traditional overdrive....but still a little shorter than, say, the ES300's 5th, due to the shorter final drive in the IS300. I think that the engineers who designed the shift lever probably figured that people who wanted (or needed) to downshift from 5th to 4th would probably want the buttons anyway. The buttons are easier to use if you are going in a straight line, but the lever is more convienent in turns.
It's a little odd, but certainly nothing that I'd dump the car for....and you get used to it after a few days.
umm that's interesting then. on the acura tl i know that both 4th and 5th are overdrive, that's why when you just punch it in 5th it will go to 3rd for the power. but the is3, dunno, maybe along the same reasoning too
Old 01-25-04, 07:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Hypothetically, any gear above 3rd gear is an OVERDRIVE gear. Since 3 is the standard drive gear, any gear past that is OVER drive.