IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

INDGOGRL I have a ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 10:58 AM
IS4DATAZZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INDGOGRL I have a ?

I am planning on lowering my IS with the same springs you used. The drop is 1.3 and 1.5. How does the car ride now? very stiff or just a little different than stock? Also, how does the lowering effect your tires? are you going to install a camber kit in the future or do you really need one? Any Info will help me out.
thanks in advance
Old 01-16-04, 11:27 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all. Welcome to CL.

For technical questions on INDGOGRLs car you can ask me since I did most of the work.

If you are talking about the Tein - S springs, the ride is very similar to stock. It is actually a little stiffer overall, but very close to stock. Since all lowering springs have higher spring rates than stock, that should generally be the case.

Any time you change the suspension geometry you should get an alignment done. The money spent will save your tires from un-neccessary tire wear. You should drive a few hundred miles on the new springs to let them to settle, before bringing the car in for a 4 wheel alignment.

At the drop that the Tein -S gives, you should be able to align the car without requiring a camber kit. The IS needs camber adjustment in the rear suspension more than it does in the front. A lot of people will say that toe is critical for tire wear which is true, however the toe can still be brought back to spec fairly easily on a lowered car, but on the IS, it is the rear camber which is most difficult to get to spec. Note: factory spec is not necessarily the ideal setting for lowered cars, but that is another subject.

Those using coilovers, can drop their cars significantly more and at a certain point a camber kit will be required. We are all eagerly waiting for a kit to be available from Daizen (a CL sponsor). I believe Cusco may have a kit already.
Old 01-16-04, 11:32 AM
Orbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks RMMGS4...good info since I am also going to be doing the same thing soon.