IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2002 IS300 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 03:34 AM
Bahadur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 IS300 Questions

I recently purchased a 2002 IS300, have some questions that I hope someone will be able to answer.

1. Keys - I only received one master key with the purchase. Is it possible to obtain a spare master key and how much does it cost? Also, what about replacing the existing key with a new set of keys (master, emergency, valet) and disabling the current key (so as to prevent any mischief from other existing keys that must be floating about)? Is it even possible to do so? How much will that cost?

2. Lights - I feel rather silly for discovering this after the sale, but the fog lights, daytime running lights and high beam are not functioning (the HID lights work fine). Are they (especially the daytime running lights and high beam) tied together somehow?

3. Tires - I live in the Pacific Northwest where snow is rather rare (though there was an unusual snow storm of sorts recently). Typically, summers are very dry and sunny, with a bit of rain in the winter. Will I be okay with factory tires in the winter or should I replace them with "all-season" tires?

4. Rear emblems - For some reason, the car is missing the rear emblems (Lexus - L - IS300). Is this indicative of some sort of a repair of the rear area? It's not a big issue for me, but my wife would like them. Does anyone have any idea if this is something that can be readily obtained and installed at a dealership and how much typically such would cost?

I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions anyone may have about my questions.
Old 01-19-04, 11:05 AM
st.lou.is
Driver School Candidate

My 02 came with 2 master keys (with remote built in) 1 valet (w/o remote) and 1 wallet key when purchased (new) . I have no clue how much for a replacement, however if you are concerned about someone else having it you should look into an aftermarket alarm system. It will come with two remotes and can be programed to operate all remote functions (as well as add on ones such as remote start and other options) and will eliminate the need for a new master key. See your dealer about the lights(check fuses), and emblems(the previous owner most likely altered these,a crash usually will not damage emblems). I have no problem in the rain w/stock potenza's, but they tend to harden in cold temps. And forget about taking them out in the snow... I had to purchase a winter package(at tire rack) to get around safely. The dunlop winter sport m2's (205/50/vr17) exceded my expectations by far, and cost is low (approx.$1050 mounted and balanced w/decent wheels) and worth every penny.
Old 01-19-04, 11:43 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2002 IS300 Questions

First off. Welcome to ClubLexus !

I will make an educated guess and bet that your car was owned by a Lexus enthusiast who modified the car and attempted to return it back to stock form before selling it. This is a common practice and a lot of your questions indicate that this scenario is probably the case. My only regret is to assume that the previous owner did not do a good job returning the car back to fully operational condition.

1. Go to the approved vendor section in ClubLexus and look for the key sale. Keys are not cheap, but this is a decent price. As far as re-programming, I am not knowledgable, but It is possible and I bet expensive.

2. Many people choose to disable the DRL feature. There is a module in the engine compartment on the passenger side shock tower that has a yellow lable saying "Hot, Hands Off". If the module is still there then you just need to plug the wire back in; it should be readily apparent, since it will be the only loose hanging plug that will fit into the module. If the module is no longer there, the retail price of this module is $287. I can get you one for significantly less, just let me know if it's needed.

As far as high beam not functioning, this could have something to do with the DRL feature since they are interconncted, but your gonna have to de-bug your problems one step at a time. Check first for the DRL module being plugged in ,then go from there.

Fog lights should work. Basics first, check the fuse, have the lights removed and see if there are bulbs or maybe the harness was simply not plugged in.

3. Post this question in the Wheel & Tire section and you will get better response.

4. Again many of us choose to remove some or all the emblems as it is a cosmetically cleaner look in many peoples opinion. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for replacements. There are many of us that still have our removed emblems, so placing a want add in our Marketplace section will get you some response. Hey, give me first dibs at selling you mine if your interested.

Like I said, I suspect someone probably did a poor job returning your car back to stock condition.

The only good news I have, is there are many here who can help you out.

Good Luck.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-19-04 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-19-04, 05:17 PM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

you should have asked the previous owner these questions before you bought your car. he could have easily answered your questions.

i'm guessing if you want a thorough check-up of the car, you might want to go to Lexus- if these members can not fully answer your questions.

you should have 2 master remotes.
get lexus to check out your lighting. something could be disabled or blown.
i would get all-season tires, but i think our factory tires are all-season already.
removed emblems doenst' necessarily mean its been in an accident. the previous owner might have felt it looks cleaner without them. easily replaceable though as they are held on by 3m.

Last edited by 1NewLexIS300; 01-19-04 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 07:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: 2002 IS300 Questions

1. Keys - I only received one master key with the purchase. Is it possible to obtain a spare master key and how much does it cost?

Definitely possible, but if you were to get a new key from Lexus, you are looking at $200 plus for the keyfob/key itself. There have been groupbuys around in the other forums so you might wanna do a search on this topic.

3. Tires - I live in the Pacific Northwest where snow is rather rare (though there was an unusual snow storm of sorts recently). Typically, summers are very dry and sunny, with a bit of rain in the winter. Will I be okay with factory tires in the winter or should I replace them with "all-season" tires?

It would be smart to invest in a set of all season tires. The summer tires on your 17's (most likely Bridgestone Potenza) are okay but are not the right type to drive on during inclement weather. You may wanna get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Pilot Primacy. There are other good A/S tires out there but i'm Michelin biased.

4. Rear emblems - For some reason, the car is missing the rear emblems (Lexus - L - IS300). Is this indicative of some sort of a repair of the rear area? It's not a big issue for me, but my wife would like them. Does anyone have any idea if this is something that can be readily obtained and installed at a dealership and how much typically such would cost?

Sounds like the previous owner debadged it for cosmetic reasons, not necessarily for body repair. You can definitely get these pieces from other forum members or a discount retailer. I recommend Carson Toyota/Lexus Parts if so. www.carsontoyota.com. Ask for Steve, Bobby or Gordon.
Old 01-19-04, 09:15 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the club. Where in WA are you? I'm in Tri-Cities. I don't know of anyone else on this forum from this area, they are all in Seattle area. How about you?
Old 01-20-04, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: tire question

Since you stated you live in a relatively snow-free area, if you are a hard driver with high-G cornering and you can accept a harsher ride, shorter tire life, more expensive replacement costs, and less impact/pothole protection, then the 17" high-performance tires and wheels are OK. Otherwise get the all-seasons. As the name indicates, they are better suited for year-around use.

Or you could spend a little more and use the hi-performance tires from, say March to November and mount a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks or Goodyear AquaTreads for the winter months.
Old 01-20-04, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: tire questions

I also agree with Flipside that Michelin makes some excellent tires. They seem to have fewer runout and defect problems than almost any other brand.
Old 01-21-04, 01:00 AM
Bahadur
Driver School Candidate

First of all, thank you everyone for your comments.

After some e-mail exchanges, I found out the following:

1. A master key is about $186 at one local dealer. A valet key is $86. Reprogramming is $50 regardless of quantity of keys. Supposedly, reprogramming changes the frequency of the keys, so the other old keys not in my possession (possibly floating about there in the world) won't work with the engine (but still work to open doors).

I think I'm okay with that (otherwise it is $4,000 to get all new keys and to disable the old key system according to another dealer!). More importantly, my wife is okay with that.

2. I'm getting the lights checked out at the dealer as soon as the keys are in.

3. I just found out (silly me again!) that the tires on the car are not stock. They are Nankang Sport NS1 (215/45/17, I think). From what I understand, these are pretty cheap Taiwanese tires with poor quality control. Yes, I know... I should've checked before I bought. But there were some unfortunate circumstances that led me to buy this car in a hurry.

In any case, I always had Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires in our past cars. Consumer Reports seems to think very highly of Falken Ziex ZE 512 tires, so I think I'll stick to what I know or try the Falken tires. The current Nankang should be okay for about 10,000 miles (I hope...).

4. Rear emblems are about $80 per set in chrome. Labor, though, is about $100 (ouch!). But my wife wants them, so she will get them.

Thank you all again for your comments. I look forward to more comments and advice.
Old 01-21-04, 01:01 AM
Bahadur
Driver School Candidate

Since you stated you live in a relatively snow-free area, if you are a hard driver with high-G cornering and you can accept a harsher ride, shorter tire life, more expensive replacement costs, and less impact/pothole protection, then the 17" high-performance tires and wheels are OK. Otherwise get the all-seasons. As the name indicates, they are better suited for year-around use.
Are the all seasons 16" then?
Old 01-21-04, 04:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Reply to Bahadur

The all-seasons were formerly 16".......I believe they are now 17", at least as an option if not standard. The Lexus "build your own" website should have the latest specs. and options.
Old 01-21-04, 07:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by Bahadur
Are the all seasons 16" then?
The 215/45ZR17 Bridgestone Potenzas are supposedly summer tires whereas the Michelin Pilot Primacy are all season.
Old 01-21-04, 07:44 PM
lexluger18
Driver School Candidate

i have an extra valet and master if u want i think all u would need to do is get them reprogrammed and why would u buy a car that dosen't hav working lights?
Old 01-21-04, 07:46 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Bahadur, you never answered where you are located at?
Old 01-22-04, 07:20 AM
Bahadur
Driver School Candidate

The 215/45ZR17 Bridgestone Potenzas are supposedly summer tires whereas the Michelin Pilot Primacy are all season.
Is it okay to put 17" "high performance all-season" or "grand touring all-season" tires? Or anything other than summer tires must be 16"?
i have an extra valet and master if u want i think all u would need to do is get them reprogrammed and why would u buy a car that dosen't hav working lights?
I already ordered the keys. Thank you anyway.
Hey Bahadur, you never answered where you are located at?
I'm on the coast.

Quick Reply: 2002 IS300 Questions