IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Replacing Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-04 | 12:54 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Originally posted by rominl

i agree, and that's why i straight out said "i don't know exactly how hard it is to change it" in the beginning. for sure i don't want anyone to come sue me coz' they thought it's really easy. and on the plugs brand, i have to agree with rmmgs4 here. both of us never ever say that the TM is better, we just said we have it and they are good. and like i said i didn't really feel more push on my butt but i didn't feel anything less neither. however you said everything else other than iridium plugs are bunk now that's a very bolt statement. unless there is really proofs saying that they are bad for teh car, i guess you should put the disclaimer "i don't know exactly" too
cool..... errr.. I guess. I hope all of this motivates someone to do this test back to back. I've done my own test under boost conditions and I know what the results are, but one of you NA guys should do it and know for sure as well. The the speculation can end... because it's all speculation till the dyno rolls. I'm just saying if I had a GS400, nothing but stock irids would go in my car, but that's me.

Last edited by IS_Dude; 01-22-04 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-22-04 | 01:18 PM
Pokeham
Driver School Candidate

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your replies. I certainly have gathered enough info for what I needed. As I am not overly familiar with the IS engine, I will tinker around to see if I am able to replace the plugs (thanks for the detailed instructions!)

I think I will go with the OEM Denso plugs as they have suited me well.
Old 01-22-04 | 01:28 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

cool man. have fun w/ it and check out what all you'll have to pull apart. It's not too bad, but a couple of the bolts on the back of the intake manifold that attach to the plenum are a bizatch to get to. And they are on there tight too.

Originally posted by Pokeham
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your replies. I certainly have gathered enough info for what I needed. As I am not overly familiar with the IS engine, I will tinker around to see if I am able to replace the plugs (thanks for the detailed instructions!)

I think I will go with the OEM Denso plugs as they have suited me well.
Old 01-22-04 | 09:38 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

I put TM's in my GS and now I roll wheelies!

Seriously though - The TM's are fantastic and the six peeps I know who swear by them have done more homework than all of us combined.

But hey - if you like the irids and they work for you then sit back and count the cash you saved by staying "stock"
Old 01-23-04 | 06:01 AM
IS_Dude
Driver

That's cool, glad you like them. How many miles do you go in between changes?

I don't know how much those tm's cost, but if they cost more than the stock irids I'd be very surprised. retail on the stock gs400 irids are 14 or 15. you should be able to work them down a few buck each though. I can get them for 9 and that's pretty good.

Originally posted by Synergy
I put TM's in my GS and now I roll wheelies!

Seriously though - The TM's are fantastic and the six peeps I know who swear by them have done more homework than all of us combined.

But hey - if you like the irids and they work for you then sit back and count the cash you saved by staying "stock"
Old 01-25-04 | 12:19 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Keep in mind I'm not bashing anyone, I'm talking about the plugs not people... Don't get all rilled up.

After all of the uprising in this thread I did some intensive research(hours on google) on these plugs. They are the same as splitfires.. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as stock plugs or NGK's.

Have any of you looked into independant testing of these? I think you should dig down a little to reveal some truths on these.

Even the propoganda site that they have up is riddled w/ BS. Just look at that opening chart, what a load of crap. I don't even know what that thing is suppose to mean.. It's got zero proof and zero evidence. And they continually do tests against splitfires which everyone knows are gimmick crap.
Old 01-25-04 | 07:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Geeze, this whole thread is bunk.
Old 01-25-04 | 07:59 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Originally posted by flipside909
Geeze, this whole thread is bunk.
well there was so much hell raised over my comment, I felt I owed it to them and myself to do a little research... should I of dropped it?
Old 01-25-04 | 11:33 PM
Synergy

Originally posted by IS_Dude
well there was so much hell raised over my comment, I felt I owed it to them and myself to do a little research... should I of dropped it?
Dude - just white flag it and call it a day. Your research sucks and you are living in a vacuum. If you like what you have then stick with it.....the rest of us will enjoy our TM's and our performance gains. There are about 10 of us who thoroughly looked into the pros and cons of these plugs and find them to be a great mod to our GS4's.

Now that's what you call a focus group.
Old 01-26-04 | 05:39 AM
IS_Dude
Driver

Dude - just white flag it and call it a day. Your research sucks and you are living in a vacuum.
See I dodn't understand this. So my research sucks and I'm living in a vacuum. What exactly does that mean. Does that mean it doesn't fit what you commonly accept as fact? All I'm trying to do at this point is learn more about these plugs. I've basically challenged anyone to provide good information on them. I've searched and searched and all I've found is bad info on them. I'm objective and just reading what I find that isn't associated w/ tm's site.

If you like what you have then stick with it.....the rest of us will enjoy our TM's and our performance gains. There are about 10 of us who thoroughly looked into the pros and cons of these plugs and find them to be a great mod to our GS4's.

Now that's what you call a focus group.
it's not that i like something or not I'm trying to get more information n these. Since there is this "target" group I'm hoping that some of you guys have some scientific info that I was unable to find.

Why are you people so offended to me wanting to learn more. I admitted my first words were hard, but now I'm begging for information that you might have that isn't on the web. Why are you so defensive of your purchase?

[edit]why would i raise a white flag. that would indicate that someone technical disproved what I said. to date I'm the only person in this thread who's provided anything on a technical basis.[/edit]

Last edited by IS_Dude; 01-26-04 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-26-04 | 08:50 PM
Synergy

I understand that you are new and I may be quick to judge. I appologize for that....

Do everyone a favor and run a search on this board for Torque Master and read through the plethora of posts. Plenty of research will be presented as well as many happy customers...

I think we have beaten this subject to death - everyone has an opinion and to each their own.
Old 01-27-04 | 05:01 AM
IS_Dude
Driver

thanks for the empirical data. searching only reveals opinions. no data.

I understand that you are new and I may be quick to judge. I appologize for that....

Do everyone a favor and run a search on this board for Torque Master and read through the plethora of posts. Plenty of research will be presented as well as many happy customers...

I think we have beaten this subject to death - everyone has an opinion and to each their own.
rmm is hooking something up for what it's worth.

Last edited by IS_Dude; 01-27-04 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-27-04 | 08:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You really do need to have the last word on this thread don't ya? Especially with us CL vets that have been here from the start.
Old 01-28-04 | 09:43 AM
IS_Dude
Driver

so far I've responded to each comment you directed towards me and you have only came in said a one liner and walked away. This solves nothing. I want an active debate w/ valuable information and informed research. What do you want?

And what does how long you've been on 'this' forum have to this subject? I expect no special treatment because I'm a modorator on .net and have been there for years. I try to gain respect from knowlege, information sharing, and helping others.

Originally posted by flipside909
You really do need to have the last word on this thread don't ya? Especially with us CL vets that have been here from the start.
Old 01-28-04 | 08:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by IS_Dude
so far I've responded to each comment you directed towards me and you have only came in said a one liner and walked away. This solves nothing. I want an active debate w/ valuable information and informed research. What do you want?

And what does how long you've been on 'this' forum have to this subject? I expect no special treatment because I'm a modorator on .net and have been there for years. I try to gain respect from knowlege, information sharing, and helping others.
I commend your motives but it seems like you're more apt to picking a fight/creating an argument to get your point across. That's great you've been a mod at .net. I've followed the site on and off since they started in 1999. Big deal? I still remember those numerous bs threads of 3.2TL Type S vs IS3 arguments and my IS3 is better than yours kinda attitude. What do I want? I definitely like to read good info. But you've become the minority in this thread.

To be on topic, I agree with you, the OEM Denso Iridiums are great plugs. So are many of the OEM/Denso equipment installed in our vehicles. It's far superior to many aftermarket items out there. It's obvious most people here have had great success with the TM plugs...take it for what it's worth. They're giving you first hand testimonials...not bs or emperical data taken by a rocket scientist. If you don't like it, then go with your own sense of choice. Just because the folks on such and such boards have not had luck with those plugs doesn't mean it's total garbage. If you think it's garbage great. If you think they're the next best thing to sliced bread...by all means you are entitled to that opinion. So far the only gain you've made here is a negative one. Instead of helping others, it seems like theres a "know-it-all" attitude in your responses. Now that's bunk if you ask me. Yes the English language is flawed but choose your diction here wisely since this isn't a crowd of kids on .net you're trying to lecture. You're probably gonna reply to this since you want to have the last word on this thread. The floor is yours, it will only make you shine in everyone's perspective.

Quick Reply: Replacing Spark Plugs