IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Replacing Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 10:06 PM
Pokeham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Spark Plugs

My 2001 IS is near the 60K mark and I will need to replace the spark plugs soon, among other things. Does anybody know if this is easy to do - are the plugs located on the top surface where they are easily removed and replaced? Or will I need to take it to a dealer to do that? I am hoping that all I have to do is remove the plastic top off the engine, and then replace the plugs.

In addition, assuming that I can do it myself, what brand spark plug do you recommend?

Thanks All!
Old 01-20-04, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't know exactly how hard it is to change it, but shuldn't be hard. take off the engine cover and you should be able to find everything

i would recommend getting the torque master. i have them in my gs4 and i love it
Old 01-21-04, 07:23 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

you're right. you don't know. and get the stock irridium plugs, everything else is bunk.

1.You have to take off the cover.
2. unbolt the support bracket from the throttle body.
3. unhook the throttle cable
4. disconnect a bunch of hoses
5. unbolt the intake manifold from the plenum.(some of these are a real *****)
6. pull it off and unhook a couple more hoses.
7. unscrew some support brackets for the coil packs
8. take out the coil packs
9. unscrew some more brackets
10. take off the plug wires.
11. take out the plugs making sure nothing drops in the cylinder
12. gap your new plugs appropriately
13 put new plugs in.
14 reverse steps 1 - 10

an hour or so if you know what you're doing.

Originally posted by rominl
i don't know exactly how hard it is to change it, but shuldn't be hard. take off the engine cover and you should be able to find everything

i would recommend getting the torque master. i have them in my gs4 and i love it

Last edited by IS_Dude; 01-21-04 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 07:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by IS_Dude
you're right. you don't know.
the OEM Denso Iridiums are definitely superior plugs, I agree...but man...choose your words wisely...especially with the Moderator of this forum.
Old 01-21-04, 08:30 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

no worries. rominl and I have "discussed" things before.

not knowing is one thing, but I just don't want someone getting in way over their head on something mechanical like this. It's not too difficult, it's just tedious and you need to know what you're doing.

btw: you're right, and even more so the GS400 plugs are used on some high horsepower cars as well.

Originally posted by flipside909
the OEM Denso Iridiums are definitely superior plugs, I agree...but man...choose your words wisely...especially with the Moderator of this forum.
Old 01-21-04, 08:42 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How So ??

you're right. you don't know. and get the stock irridium plugs, everything else is bunk.

I have been reading about TM plugs on various threads on ClubLexus for a very long time.

From what I recall there were some issues initially, but I have heard nothing but positive comments from my local members who have been using them for up to two years now.

What data such as reports, reviews, actual heads up testing, etc. do you have on this comparing TM to Stock?
Old 01-21-04, 09:00 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Default Re: How So ??

know anyone w/ 500whp + on them? maybe a dozen or better at 400+ on them? and the stock ones are iridium. I have 375whp and am running toyota irridiums..... I know of people in the other catagories.

What supra's are running these TM?

Here's what I know about the supra's. they run ngk's. http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#enginefeatures1

Do you know what would warrant a different plug? If you are igniting the fuel mixture then the plug is doing it's job. The stock ignition system w/ a functioning plug is fine for NA. Plugs won't make a difference in performance unless the previous plug was fouling w/ NA. I'm sure people are happy w/ the TM's but that doesn't mean they are better. That just means they aren't having problems. How many problems are caused by the stock plugs? Probably next to none.

what tangible data do you have on TM's? I'm sure there's nothing wrong w/ the TM's, but better than the stock irids........ errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Originally posted by RMMGS4
I have been reading about TM plugs on various threads on ClubLexus for a very long time.

From what I recall there were some issues initially, but I have heard nothing but positive comments from my local members who have been using them for up to two years now.

What data such as reports, reviews, actual heads up testing, etc. do you have on this comparing TM to Stock?
Old 01-21-04, 09:36 PM
RMMGS4

Your info is good to know as far as topics to do with high horsepower motors but unless you and your Supra buddies have actually tried TM's, what have you actually proven by telling me this?

I've read TONS of threads and had direct input from local members claiming the TM's to be reliable, "so far" and I agree, the stocks are very reliable.

So at this point, it's sounds like you are saying you have no specific problem with the TM's, it's just a matter of whether they are better than stock? No one on this thread said anything about being better than stock, but since you started here goes:

Again, the info I have regarding improved performance are from the responses of previous threads. Search for them yourself, there are tons of comments, plus I have the 5-6 reports of improved performance from my local CL members and their butt-O-meters. This is not conclusive evidence, but that is why I asked if you could shed more light on this with as you say, "tangible" data, which you haven't so far.

what tangible data do you have on TM's?
Check out the following Dyno Information:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

OK, so back to the original question on my first post " What data such as reports, reviews, actual heads up testing, etc. do you have on this comparing TM to Stock?" errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-22-04 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-21-04, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

jez man, what are you smoking today.... you can definitely be nicer to people around here.
Old 01-22-04, 01:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

alright now i have a bit more time, let's see how i should put this. first of all, although i haven't seen the exact case for the i6 engine, but i have seen the exact same thing done on my gs4. it involved pretty much the same instruction after i read everything. off engine cover, off the intake pipe, some hoses, etc... honestly i still don't think it's that hard, compared to some other tasks i have seen. maybe it's hard for someone but it all depends on how much you have done on these car.

on the other hand, IS_Dude, i don't care if you meant it or not, but treating other members nice is the least you can, and have to do, if you want to stay in this forum. we all appreciate your help and the informative instructions, but being nice to members are what we ask for as well. i might be wrong in that it's not super easy, but you could have corrected me in a much better way.

and about the TM plugs, yes IS_Dude, you are right, they might not be really gaining anything, but they aren't bad at all to begin with too. and for the record, the stock iridium, they are good too, but so what? my gs4 has the old stock iridium plugs and i just changed them out after 50k miles. they are in BAD shape as pointed out by my mechanics. so i don't see anything so good about the plugs as well if anything (they are good, but not extremely good).

my bottom line is, there are a lot of people here (running NA, btw) including me and RMMGS4 we have the TM plugs and we like it. personally i don't feel much power gain but it's going a good job. both RMMGS4 and i never said that the TM plugs are better, i wonder where your statement of "what tangible data do you have on TM's? I'm sure there's nothing wrong w/ the TM's, but better than the stock irids........ errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..." come from.

on the other hand yes i haev read a lot of threads, even with dyno sheets from people stating that the TM plugs do give more power to the car. if you want info go search or go to the links RMMGS4 provided you. If you have the proofs that they are not better, show us. if not, we can all just base on stuff that we can find.

also, not that many people using TM plugs on the supra, so, what does that mean? to me it's all about exposure. a lot of times when something isn't exposed to certain group of people, you just dont' see it there. back when the 01+ taillights were out for the GS, it wasn't all that common. but now a lot of people have it and say it's nicer. who knows, maybe one day some supra people with over 600hp try the TM plugs and mysteriously find that it helps the power, and the next thing you know, all supra owners would be using it. or maybe they put in the plugs and blow their engines and TM goes out of business.

and last of all, in case you IS_Dude you have not noticed, my previous post about "what are you smoking", that's to you. watch out for the way you talk
Old 01-22-04, 05:54 AM
IS_Dude
Driver

all this love.

first, to defend and trying to be respectful:

rominl and RMM: I don't like it when people are mislead, either intentionally or unintentionally. I know you meant no harm rominl, and were only helping, but for the average person replacing the plugs on the IS is an endeavor. And you have to take off the Intake Manifold(throttle body and all) not just the intake. Look at an engine pic and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's the whole aluminum piece that's shaped in a Y and attached to the plenum.

Is it tough, no. Is it 10times more than most any other car out there, Yes.

RMM, what tangible evidence do I have? Nothing, I don't know anything...

With all respect, that "dyno" link you sent me is a riot. His baseline was 2yrs previous to that day. You can't be serious.... The only way to test appropriately is to swap new plugs for new plugs one after the other. Unless you do that it's not a valid test. On the same day I might add.

And you guys are welcome for the step by step proceedure for replacing the plugs.
Old 01-22-04, 11:57 AM
RMMGS4

I don't like it when people are mislead, either intentionally or unintentionally.
So first you said " and get the stock irridium plugs, everything else is bunk."

next response you said " . . . I'm sure there's nothing wrong w/ the TM's . . ."

And when I ask what you have to back your claim, you say " Nothing, I don't know anything... "

So how misleading is that ??

I don't like when people are misled either, so when you say "everything else is bunk", that's a pretty black and white answer.
You could have said something like "99% of the miracle plugs out there are bunk, I haven't tried the TM's but . . . " instead your response comes out sounding like fact, with no exceptions

Rominl prefaced his original response with " don't know exactly how hard it is to change it, . . .". He didn't say "It is very easy and simple", he admits he wasn't solid about what he was saying. He made it clear from the start, that he did not want to mis-lead anyone.

With all respect, that "dyno" link you sent me is a riot. His baseline was 2yrs previous to that day. You can't be serious.... The only way to test appropriately is to swap new plugs for new plugs one after the other. Unless you do that it's not a valid test. On the same day I might add.
Agreed, to be a truly valid dyno, it should all be done under nearly identical conditions, same car, etc. I responded to you because I wanted to know if you had any MORE data / info about the TM's and so far I haven't heard anything of value. You ask me for data and I provided what I have. It's not totally conclusive data, but it's a hell of a lot more than what you have provided so far.

I'm not here to defend or debate the merits of the TM plugs. Anyone who does a search for Torquemaster can read 2 &1/2 years of threads and decide for themselves. Even with all those threads, I'm still open to the idea that we don't know everything. That is the ONLY reason why I chimed in to this post, because of YOUR "bunk" comment, and I wanted to know what value added information you had, that might not have been discussed before.

With all due respect, your meaningful contribution of recommending plugs on this thread has been a riot.
Old 01-22-04, 12:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IS_Dude
[B]all this love.

first, to defend and trying to be respectful:

rominl and RMM: I don't like it when people are mislead, either intentionally or unintentionally. I know you meant no harm rominl, and were only helping, but for the average person replacing the plugs on the IS is an endeavor. And you have to take off the Intake Manifold(throttle body and all) not just the intake. Look at an engine pic and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's the whole aluminum piece that's shaped in a Y and attached to the plenum.

Is it tough, no. Is it 10times more than most any other car out there, Yes.
[\QUOTE]

i agree, and that's why i straight out said "i don't know exactly how hard it is to change it" in the beginning. for sure i don't want anyone to come sue me coz' they thought it's really easy. and on the plugs brand, i have to agree with rmmgs4 here. both of us never ever say that the TM is better, we just said we have it and they are good. and like i said i didn't really feel more push on my butt but i didn't feel anything less neither. however you said everything else other than iridium plugs are bunk now that's a very bolt statement. unless there is really proofs saying that they are bad for teh car, i guess you should put the disclaimer "i don't know exactly" too
Old 01-22-04, 12:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I swapped out my stocks to the TMs at 50k. There was definitely a change in feel for the better. I don't have dynos, just personal experience so take that any way you like. Now, it I had swapped in a new set of iridiums, it might have felt great too. It's hard to say. BUT, it just tells me that the TMs are not "bunk". They've been performing great for over 20k miles.

I can see your point with most of what you said and will concede that your opinion is your own. It is just the statement:

that is causing a rise in people. It is always hard to tell tone over the internet and that makes a big difference in how a statement "feels".

Pokeham should do some reading and decide what is comfortable for him. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

As for changing them out, yes the I6 is much more of a PITA than the V8. Much more need to come out. I was not comfortable doing it so I had someone do it for me. No big. If you are cool with the work, then more power to you. BUT it is definitely not " remove the plastic top off the engine, and then replace the plugs" like Pokeham hoped.
Old 01-22-04, 12:48 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Originally posted by RMMGS4
So first you said " and get the stock irridium plugs, everything else is bunk."

next response you said " . . . I'm sure there's nothing wrong w/ the TM's . . ."

And when I ask what you have to back your claim, you say " Nothing, I don't know anything... "

So how misleading is that ??

I don't like when people are misled either, so when you say "everything else is bunk", that's a pretty black and white answer.
You could have said something like "99% of the miracle plugs out there are bunk, I haven't tried the TM's but . . . " instead your response comes out sounding like fact, with no exceptions

Rominl prefaced his original response with " don't know exactly how hard it is to change it, . . .". He didn't say "It is very easy and simple", he admits he wasn't solid about what he was saying. He made it clear from the start, that he did not want to mis-lead anyone.
all of this over the word bunk.... come on peeps it was a generalism and obviosly I don't feel that way because I think the NGK's are good too.... jesus christ..

... OK, ok, ok... searched and searched and I can find no independant scientific information on these plugs.... I'll admit it. I don't know much about these plugs. Do you want to know why? I'll tell you anyway. There's not much out there on them except domestic guys(nothing wrong w/ that... man you have to be so tender footed around this place). I can't find a case of a high HP car w/ the exception of f-bodies that runs them. There just isn't much scientific data on them. That's reason enough for me not to mess w/ them. Get the torque masters, i'm sure they are alright. They have no evidence to point me to believe they are as good as the stock irids... I'm glad everyone is happy w/ them. You bought them so they should be good right...

Agreed, to be a truly valid dyno, it should all be done under nearly identical conditions, same car, etc. I responded to you because I wanted to know if you had any MORE data / info about the TM's and so far I haven't heard anything of value. You ask me for data and I provided what I have. It's not totally conclusive data, but it's a hell of a lot more than what you have provided so far.

I'm not here to defend or debate the merits of the TM plugs. Anyone who does a search for Torquemaster can read 2 &1/2 years of threads and decide for themselves. Even with all those threads, I'm still open to the idea that we don't know everything. That is the ONLY reason why I chimed in to this post, because of YOUR "bunk" comment, and I wanted to know what value added information you had, that might not have been discussed before.

I have real world experience w/ the stock toyota irids and w/ ngks. There's also TONS of info on the ngks that the supra boys have done. If you followed the link you would of seen that. I think that should speak volumes to you. The MKIV site has some of the best info for Toyota around, but obviously mostly 2jz related. If you discard this as no proof then I can't help you. Does one of the best tuners in the nation using stock toyo irids have any validity to it? Does me having first hand knowledge of the differences on my car between ngk's and irids have any validity.

I understand that you want specifics and documented proof. The proof is out there. I would post links and such I just don't have the time or inclination to do it just now. If I lose the discusion because of it so be it. I'd suggest researching how spark and mixture ignition are realated from independant studies and then look into when a problem with mixture ignition may occur.

With all due respect, your meaningful contribution of recommending plugs on this thread has been a riot.
See I knew you guys had some sarcasm.... man was that so difficult..... At least it was more meaningful that that dyno writeup. Mine demonstrated a step by step proceedure to replace the plugs in an IS. Apparently though it is less credible than a dyno result w/ a baseline from 2yrs ago.... :roll:

Quick Reply: Replacing Spark Plugs