IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Rattle in Dash - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 01:47 PM
jroosh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle in Dash - Please help

I have an 02 IS 300 E-Shift that two winters in a row has a temperature-sensitive and intermittent rattle in the dash and the dealership can't fix it after numerous attempts.

-It happens after the car has warmed up for quite a while
-Only in cold weather (silent in the summer)
-Sounds like it's coming from under the defrost vents or felt cubby on top of the dash, up high, just under the windshield, in the center of the dash
-Sounds like two quarters rattling against each other

The dealership has removed the windshield and the clips that are used for it's installation, they have removed the entire dashboard and insulated every clip or connection before reinstalling it.

Incidentally, the heater fan was replaced as it was making noise and the sound started some time after that.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-31-04, 03:56 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

minr does it too,along with 100000 other people's it seems, I just turn on the radio In all honesty, I've tried locating it, but have yet to find it, and for the most part, I don't want some strange person man-handling my baby, so I live with it.
Old 01-31-04, 04:33 PM
jroosh
Driver

actually, I haven't seen any posts anywhere that match my issue - you're in New Mexico so I doubt you have a cold-weather related noise

...and it's louder than the radio at normal listening levels
Old 01-31-04, 06:10 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

I had a rattle behind the center console. I took the radio out and greased the plastic where the face connects to the radio. I took the a/c and opened it up and greased where it connects. That solved the problem for me. If you take out the radio and a/c unit, then move twist them you will notice creaks. That is what I am refering to.
Old 01-31-04, 08:36 PM
jroosh
Driver

thank you...I will share that with my Lexus technician who thankfully is not giving up and is open to suggestions...however, if anyone else out there has additional ideas, keem them coming...
Old 02-02-04, 05:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Cold-weather rattles

It is normal to some extent to get more rattles and creaks as the temperature drops. Plastic, metal, and glass tend to shrink in cold weather, giving more clearances where the parts join. This allow the parts to rub and hit against each other and cause noises. As the temperature rises and the parts expand and form good seals, ( and you will notice this after the car has been parked in the sun, even in winter), many of these rattles will disappear. Stiff suspensions, low-profile tires, and rough roads tend to cause more and earlier rattles by sending more impacts to the unibody structure.
Old 02-02-04, 06:34 AM
jroosh
Driver

I am well aware of all that - thank you. I have lived in Minnesota all my life.

This is not a "general" squeak or rattle. It is loud and localized as I described.

I have a specific issue and what I'm really looking for is some specific advice or experience from someone who has solved this specific issue.
Old 02-02-04, 06:40 AM
jespinal
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I have a 03 e-shift w/ 16,500 miles. I'm starting to experience a rattling noise coming from the passenger side, some where in front. Can't really tell where is coming from. It almost sound like the type of vibration you get from speakers. I'm wondering if I'd should take the car to the dealer.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciate!
Old 02-02-04, 04:11 PM
jroosh
Driver

I think you should take your car to the dealer and start your own topic to get replies specific to your issue which is different than mine. In my mind, the whole idea of driving a Lexus is to not have to put up with the issues present with lesser-made vehicles - rattles and squeaks not withstanding.
Old 02-19-04, 05:20 PM
jroosh
Driver

Default They seem to have fixed it!

Aparently there is a bracket that runs the width of the dash and is attached to the firewall. This bracket, when heated by the nearby heat duct would rattle. My Lexus dealership technician loosened this bracket, insulated it, and tightened it and the noise is gone.
Old 02-19-04, 08:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Re: They seem to have fixed it!

Originally posted by jroosh
Aparently there is a bracket that runs the width of the dash and is attached to the firewall. This bracket, when heated by the nearby heat duct would rattle. My Lexus dealership technician loosened this bracket, insulated it, and tightened it and the noise is gone.
That's great to hear that Lexus finally found the culprit.