IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

I'm back : Lexus Curse Gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 11:36 AM
INDGOGRL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back : Lexus Curse Gone ?

Well, I'm back. For those that didn't know, I was rear ended on the freeway leaving work on Thursday, January 22nd. No it wasn't in my IS. I was going to drive either my IS or my husbands GS to work that day, but luckily I drove neither car. Hopefully this is a good omen to rid us of the now infamous Lexus Curse.

Rominl posted about this incident on my thread (My IS Story) and I was going to respond there, but I thought it is appropriate to make a new thread. I am so darn lucky to be surrounded by a lot of loving and caring friends. Those that responded to my thread and those that contacted me directly, made me feel very special. The Lexus community is a great group of people; both local and non-local members have made me feel like I have an extended family.

My neck and back are still sore from the impact, but I am sure the physical therapy will help speed up my recovery. We had a mini-meet this past weekend and it was nice to meet new people and see old friends.

Check out the thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

There's the first pic of me in this thread. BigJoeD, just 4 U

I am hopefully going back to work next week and will start posting on "My IS Story" soon with MORE MODS TO COME !

Thank you all.

Last edited by INDGOGRL; 02-09-04 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-09-04, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Welcome Back

Welcome Back, INDOGRL. Glad to see you're in one piece. Cars, in most instances, can be replaced....you can't.
Let me make a suggestion. You mention that you have a sore neck from the rear-ender. Perhaps that was from a mild case of whiplash....a very common problem in rear-enders. You might want to report your injury either to NHTSA ( National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) or to Lexus Customer Assistance and have them suggest to Lexus Engineering that they adopt the active-type headrests that Saab, Volvo, and Mercedes have pioneered on their products. It works by having a counterweight attached pendulum-style to the headrest that hangs down inside the seat. When a rear-impact pushes the car forward, the pendulum inertia resists motion, and a lever-like hinge pushes the headrest forward into the back of your head before your head has a chance to swing back really hard. It is a good device and Lexus should consider it.....perhaps cases like yours will speed up its introduction.
Let us know how your recovery goes....good luck.
Old 02-09-04, 12:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Default Re: Welcome Back

Glad to hear you're OK, welcome back!

Originally posted by mmarshall
Welcome Back, INDOGRL. Glad to see you're in one piece. Cars, in most instances, can be replaced....you can't.
Let me make a suggestion. You mention that you have a sore neck from the rear-ender. Perhaps that was from a mild case of whiplash....a very common problem in rear-enders. You might want to report your injury either to NHTSA ( National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) or to Lexus Customer Assistance and have them suggest to Lexus Engineering that they adopt the active-type headrests that Saab, Volvo, and Mercedes have pioneered on their products. It works by having a counterweight attached pendulum-style to the headrest that hangs down inside the seat. When a rear-impact pushes the car forward, the pendulum inertia resists motion, and a lever-like hinge pushes the headrest forward into the back of your head before your head has a chance to swing back really hard. It is a good device and Lexus should consider it.....perhaps cases like yours will speed up its introduction.
Let us know how your recovery goes....good luck.
Mmarshall, it sounded like she wasn't in her Lexus (or her husband's) for the accident
Old 02-09-04, 08:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Good to see you back.

FYI mmarshall, the accident was sustained by their locally made Nummi - Fremont,CA made Toyota Voltz (aka Pontiac Vibe if you didn't know).
Old 02-10-04, 03:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by flipside909
Good to see you back.

FYI mmarshall, the accident was sustained by their locally made Nummi - Fremont,CA made Toyota Voltz (aka Pontiac Vibe if you didn't know).

Thanks, Flip. Is that what they call the Vibe look-alike on the West coast ....(Voltz)? Is that a tuner version? Here in the East they call it the Matrix. Of course, as you know, both are Corolla-based.
Still think the Teutonic active headrests are a good idea.
Old 02-10-04, 07:01 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad it was not worse...get better soon!!
Old 02-10-04, 08:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Flip. Is that what they call the Vibe look-alike on the West coast ....(Voltz)? Is that a tuner version? Here in the East they call it the Matrix. Of course, as you know, both are Corolla-based.
Still think the Teutonic active headrests are a good idea.
The Voltz is the Toyota badged Vibe in Japan...exported exclusively to Japan by Nummi. There is no Matrix model in Japan. The Toyota Voltz is esentially the Toyota/GM joint venture replacement export for the Toyota Cavalier. Basically, the Toyota Corolla Matrix is the version made @ TMMC - Cambridge, Ontario, Canada for North America only. The Voltz is a Japan only market vehicle made in Fremont...aka the Pontiac Vibe for North America.

Find more info here:
www.nummi.com
www.toyota.co.jp
Old 02-11-04, 03:48 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Default Re: I'm back : Lexus Curse Gone ?

Originally posted by INDGOGRL
No it wasn't in my IS. I was going to drive either my IS or my husbands GS to work that day, but luckily I drove neither car.
great to see that you are feeling better.

maybe it's not so great that you are going back to work next week huh?

great to hear that the lexus babies are okay as well. but most importantly, you are okay.

as for the loss...i think it is definitely a sign for you guys to obtain another Lexus.

with GS and IS sitting pretty...you can now add a brand new SC to the family...ahhh...
Old 02-11-04, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by flipside909
The Voltz is the Toyota badged Vibe in Japan...exported exclusively to Japan by Nummi. There is no Matrix model in Japan. The Toyota Voltz is esentially the Toyota/GM joint venture replacement export for the Toyota Cavalier. Basically, the Toyota Corolla Matrix is the version made @ TMMC - Cambridge, Ontario, Canada for North America only. The Voltz is a Japan only market vehicle made in Fremont...aka the Pontiac Vibe for North America.

Find more info here:
www.nummi.com
www.toyota.co.jp
Thanks again, Flip. I knew that Toyota sold a rebadged Cavalier in Japan but I forgot what the name was.
Hard to believe Toyota would put its name on a POS like a Cavalier. Don't know how you feel but I've always felt the Cavalier was one of the most poorly built new cars on the market. Even Kia builds a better product in many ways.
Old 03-06-04, 07:36 PM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Man, ive been away for a while. I knew you were in an accident and im GLAD your are ok.

PS. Thanks for the close-up pic LOL Im mean that facetiously.
Old 03-09-04, 11:16 AM
INDGOGRL
Pole Position

Thanks for everyone's concern.

For all you non-NorCal folk, it would be great to meet with you one of these days. I have met a lot of great people at the NorCal meets.

If any of you are in our neck of the woods for business or pleasure, please post in the NorCal Section about your trip and maybe we can organize a mini meet.

I have connections to make those types of things happen you know. . . i.e. RMMGS4