IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Tranny Problems w/IS300

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 04:30 PM
rukarims
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Problems w/IS300

I'm looking into getting an IS300 this summer. I have read and heard that the IS300's tranny has a slow response. Well I decided to post on here to see what all of you IS300 say. Thanks - Ray
Old 02-16-04, 06:48 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Hey, a few answers: first i would not call it a tranny problem, with the power mode on and trac off its pretty darn fast. Manual tranny, as rominl says has 18x rwhp as compared to the auto's 16x. second, the addition of aftermarket parts helps out the performance(exhaust, intake). The IS300 is a great car, handles well, fast, and stylish. Go test drive one and see if you like it. I love mine.
Old 02-16-04, 07:09 PM
rukarims
Driver

k..gotcha. I've driven an IS300 plenty of times. I love the car, but when I read a few magazines and I just wanted to know what you guys think. Thanks
Old 02-16-04, 09:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeah, you can blame alot of the "lag" or slow response from the throttle by wire system our IS300's use. If it was a regular throttle cable wired system, the engine would be more responsive. Definitely nothing wrong with our system, just a high-tech type of technology Toyota had chosen for our version of the 2JZ. ECT PWR definitely helps.
Old 02-16-04, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by flipside909
Yeah, you can blame alot of the "lag" or slow response from the throttle by wire system our IS300's use. If it was a regular throttle cable wired system, the engine would be more responsive. Definitely nothing wrong with our system, just a high-tech type of technology Toyota had chosen for our version of the 2JZ. ECT PWR definitely helps.
i think we need to clear this up for sure... is the is300 throttle by wire or cable? if you take off the engine cover you do see the cable, and if you adjust that cable you do get better throttle response when you press the gas. so what's up with that
Old 02-17-04, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
i think we need to clear this up for sure... is the is300 throttle by wire or cable? if you take off the engine cover you do see the cable, and if you adjust that cable you do get better throttle response when you press the gas. so what's up with that
There are both wires and cables involved but it is primarily electronically controlled...thus the "by wire' designation. It is a complex system and I can't give you all the details....I don't know them all myself.

Part of the hesitation problem is the ECU for the automatic transmission, part of this is the fact that early cars...mostly 2001's....tended to go into Traction Control mode prematurely at certain low-speed and RPM-throttle openings (even with the T/C shut off) , and part of it is simply an autolean fuel mixture at low speeds for emissions. That is the way that the Lexus techs have explained it to me. A factory ECU reprogramming is available for some cars.

To rukarims: If you want max response at low speeds, you should probably consider the manual transmission anyway...unless you drive mostly in dense traffic.
Old 02-17-04, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by mmarshall
There are both wires and cables involved but it is primarily electronically controlled...thus the "by wire' designation. It is a complex system and I can't give you all the details....I don't know them all myself.
boy sounds like a very complicated system there @_@
Old 02-17-04, 09:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

With any drive by wire/throttle by wire/fly by wire systems...they all involve a cable and a conventional throttle body. BUT if you notice when you press the gas pedal...it feels very vague...and no tension at all. Part of the system in conventional, but it's continuous through electronics...not a straight throttle cable from the TB to the pedal.
Old 02-17-04, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by flipside909
With any drive by wire/throttle by wire/fly by wire systems...they all involve a cable and a conventional throttle body. BUT if you notice when you press the gas pedal...it feels very vague...and no tension at all. Part of the system in conventional, but it's continuous through electronics...not a straight throttle cable from the TB to the pedal.
sorta get more idea now. but i think the 430 engine they are full drive by wire? i don' recall seeing any wires? right, wrong?
Old 02-17-04, 11:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

sorta get more idea now. but i think the 430 engine they are full drive by wire? i don' recall seeing any wires? right, wrong?
If theres no visible wire...its probably under the plastic sheathing/shrouds covering the engine and TB. There should be an actual cable from the gas pedal the firewall of the car. Unless it's all controlled by position sensors and etc.
Old 02-18-04, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

boy sounds like a very complicated system there @_@
Apparantly even the people in Lexus engineering can't totally figure it out. The IS300 is a great car...one of the best on the road....but this is the one area that has drawn significant complaints from owners now for over three years straight.
Old 02-18-04, 11:10 AM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

its drive by wire.... correct me if im wrong...

the auto tranny is strong enough... actually stronger than the 5 speed tranny. if it doesn't shift as fast as u'd like or as crisp.. get a shift kit. if that isn't enough, get a valve body upgrade. just know once u do this, ur shifts will be very precise and will probably snap ur neck into place

the 5 speed has a weak *** clutch and has the terrible device called the CDD. the 5 speed has also been proven to break with any power over 300rwhp...

i've had both.... got the auto back in 2000 and the 5 speed in 02... if i had to pick between the 2... it would still go to the 5 speed... the auto has more advantages... but nothing can replace a manual tranny!!!

btw... if u do get an IS300... PLEASE DO NOT put those UGLY *** RIMS off ur ES on it.
Old 02-18-04, 01:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by TicaLis300
its drive by wire.... correct me if im wrong...

the auto tranny is strong enough... actually stronger than the 5 speed tranny. if it doesn't shift as fast as u'd like or as crisp.. get a shift kit. if that isn't enough, get a valve body upgrade. just know once u do this, ur shifts will be very precise and will probably snap ur neck into place

the 5 speed has a weak *** clutch and has the terrible device called the CDD. the 5 speed has also been proven to break with any power over 300rwhp...

i've had both.... got the auto back in 2000 and the 5 speed in 02... if i had to pick between the 2... it would still go to the 5 speed... the auto has more advantages... but nothing can replace a manual tranny!!!

btw... if u do get an IS300... PLEASE DO NOT put those UGLY *** RIMS off ur ES on it.
yeah the cdd sux, but you can always disable it by taking out that module. i might have mine done actually, that thing is so stupid. and yes, the clutch on that car is pretty weak. i wonder if i can change it out togeher with the fly wheel
Old 02-18-04, 01:58 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

yea..i have plans on taking out my cdd too..... i just swapped in the PHR clutch and a new throwout bearing... the bearing sings like a canary on ur worst day.... it hasn't stopped making noise from the second it went in... however, i did find out how to fix the problem.... theres a fork where the bearing sits and if u put any pressure on the fork the sound goes away... just place a spring in there to create a little tension and the sound is gone.... this info actually came from a Lexus tech and i was told that there really is not "fix" for this problem.. just a temporary solution.

btw... how much power u lookin to get out of ur IS rominl?? i wouldn't get a 6 puck if i were u... 6 pucks and lightened flywheels have proven to break the w55... im rockin the phr clutch as stated above which has a street disc and stock flywheel.. we'll see if it can hold up to the 500+ foot lbs of torque they claim...
Old 02-18-04, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by TicaLis300
yea..i have plans on taking out my cdd too..... i just swapped in the PHR clutch and a new throwout bearing... the bearing sings like a canary on ur worst day.... it hasn't stopped making noise from the second it went in... however, i did find out how to fix the problem.... theres a fork where the bearing sits and if u put any pressure on the fork the sound goes away... just place a spring in there to create a little tension and the sound is gone.... this info actually came from a Lexus tech and i was told that there really is not "fix" for this problem.. just a temporary solution.

btw... how much power u lookin to get out of ur IS rominl?? i wouldn't get a 6 puck if i were u... 6 pucks and lightened flywheels have proven to break the w55... im rockin the phr clutch as stated above which has a street disc and stock flywheel.. we'll see if it can hold up to the 500+ foot lbs of torque they claim...
hahha i have no idea yet. my plan is still to finish my gs400 before i go to the is300. now it only has sways and coilovers. i am still debating how i should play with the is3, coz' i know it's no turning back (at least it would be very expensive) so i wanna do it right. any ideas?

Quick Reply: Tranny Problems w/IS300