Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow dag.. have u ever hooked up a car??/
Old 02-23-04, 03:14 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Default hooked up a car?

Sorry TicaLis300 but i do not understand what you mean. Does everyone on Clublexus have mechanic experience? I know some about my car, and this is why i'm on clublexus--to learn more about the IS300. Surely you can understand that. BTW have you hooked up a car?
Old 02-23-04, 03:29 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

ok... here we go..

dont just buy anything... do your research. and then do some more research... and then ask around for personal opinions... and then do some more research.

in this game, its not always good to save as much money as possible. the fraud rate is pretty high and continues to grow on a daily basis... be very careful in whom u do business with... where u buy your products from.... alot of times, you are better off buying from well known companies to reduce any type of risk... even then, there times where well known companies will get u too..

this is defintely a good place to start learning.

my best advice to u would be to figure out what your goals are for your car... what i mean by that is how much power do u want.. what would satisfy you? do you want it to handle better? if yes, how much better? are u willing to sacrifice all comfort or do u want to retain the lexus feel? do you want to improve your stereo system or are you only interested in performance gains?? i could go on forever...but we'll just start with this for now....
Old 02-23-04, 03:30 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.lexoticconcepts.com/members/dan.html

a few pics of my car.....
Old 02-23-04, 03:32 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: hooked up a car?

Originally posted by _DAG_
BTW have you hooked up a car?

i started modifying cars at the age of 14... im now almost 28... i got into performance mods when i was about 18... so yeah, i've been in the game for a hot minute..lol
Old 02-24-04, 09:49 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Default mods

Thanks guys. right now I just want the car to flow well so i've added the intake, axleback exhaust (it turns out i got stiffed), and a y pipe. Now i just need to add the headers and possibly replace the midsection b pipe with straight piping to get rid of all that restrictive OEM stuff.
Old 02-24-04, 10:28 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

do u have an afc?? if not, i suggest u get one... with all those mods, you're gonna need an air fuel controller to adjust the fuel for the added air flow... i do have an apex'i s-afc that might be for sale... pm me if you're interested.
Old 02-27-04, 05:39 PM
_DAG_
Driver

No, dude i do not have one. Does it really work if tuned well though? Thanks.
Old 02-27-04, 06:30 PM
crazeazn
Rookie

Default Re: mods

Originally posted by _DAG_
Thanks guys. right now I just want the car to flow well so i've added the intake, axleback exhaust (it turns out i got stiffed), and a y pipe. Now i just need to add the headers and possibly replace the midsection b pipe with straight piping to get rid of all that restrictive OEM stuff.

okay my advice to you,

1. you have to buy the header & y pipe in pairs, i dont know what kind of y pipe you have so thats that.
2. dont buy a B pipe, you will lose power, unless you are supercharged, its not neccessary
3. a stock exhaust may put out more power than a crappy aftermarket exhaust, so either go back to stock or get yourself a nice one. contrary to some thought the factory exhaust and B are not that restrictive...
4. afc will help, look around car forums(is300.net, supraforums, etc) you should be able to buy a gently one for like 170~190 shipped; i bought mine off of supraforums
5. like the above guy said, research, research and research!!!! that way u will get the best deal for your money and not get shafted with shatty quality products

the most restrictive areas are your y pipe and header (b/c the factory cat is on there)

way back in the day when i dynoed i put down (178hp/188tq) with a intake and exhaust (untuned); with my afc and xerd y pipe i should be putting down around 185hp/195tq or so...
Old 02-27-04, 10:55 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Thanks crazeazn:
1. my headers and y pipe are free flowing--no cats, nor mufflers anywhere on those.
2. for my b pipe, i cut out the resonator and had the muffler guys weld on a straight pipe.
3. I am running a quality exhaust system with only one muffler at the end--total. what could make an exhaust like that bad though?
4. How much would the afc help out my car? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-04, 11:46 PM
crazeazn
Rookie

1. my headers and y pipe are free flowing--no cats, nor mufflers anywhere on those.
Did you already buy an aftermarket header? or did you gut the factory cats in the header? The factory header has two catalytic converters and the stock y pipe has one. I understand you bought an aftermarket Y pipe, but what I'm saying is you have to buy the aftermarket header and y pipe at the same time or else the two wont fit. For instance, a xerd header will not work with a toyomoto y pipe and etc... in my case I have a xerd Y pipe but the newer xerd headers arent long enough to bolt on... but I'm not buying headers anyway so it doesnt matter...

2. for my b pipe, I cut out the resonator and had the muffler guys weld on a straight pipe.
so you dont have the factory b-pipe anymore?

3. I am running a quality exhaust system with only one muffler at the end--total. what could make an exhaust like that bad though?
It doesnt matter what kind of muffler it is, it is all dependent on the bends inside of the muffler and piping used. This helps determines the sound and how much power you are freeing up. Unlike an intake which any k&n filter style will give some improvement, and exhaust system is a diff matter. Hot air is being pushed out so flow is very crucial. Some r&d is necessary for good power.

An afc basically corrects the engine air flow, you are allowing more air in (intake side, your intake) and more air out (exhaust manifold side, header/y/b/exhaust), if you know the terms lean and rich, this is where those words come in. you want a balance between to the two (to attain the most power) hence the afc runs a tap into your ECU and corrects this number. Apexi and HKS both make excellent units.
Old 02-28-04, 10:55 PM
_DAG_
Driver

crazeazn: You have been awesome helping me out with all of my questions!

Did you already buy an aftermarket header? or did you gut the factory cats in the header? The factory header has two catalytic converters and the stock y pipe has one. I understand you bought an aftermarket Y pipe, but what I'm saying is you have to buy the aftermarket header and y pipe at the same time or else the two wont fit. For instance, a xerd header will not work with a toyomoto y pipe and etc... in my case I have a xerd Y pipe but the newer xerd headers arent long enough to bolt on... but I'm not buying headers anyway so it doesnt matter...

Yeah, i got the pro1 headers and they came with the race pipe. I already have a straight piping race pipe on there and it fits perfectly. both headers and race pipe are aftermarket.

2. for my b pipe, I cut out the resonator and had the muffler guys weld on a straight pipe.
so you dont have the factory b-pipe anymore?

no, cause i got the resonator replaced with straight piping.

It doesnt matter what kind of muffler it is, it is all dependent on the bends inside of the muffler and piping used. This helps determines the sound and how much power you are freeing up. Unlike an intake which any k&n filter style will give some improvement, and exhaust system is a diff matter. Hot air is being pushed out so flow is very crucial. Some r&d is necessary for good power.

I bent it a little outward by heating it up and pushing hard to the outside. Still, it sounds no diff.

An afc basically corrects the engine air flow, you are allowing more air in (intake side, your intake) and more air out (exhaust manifold side, header/y/b/exhaust), if you know the terms lean and rich, this is where those words come in. you want a balance between to the two (to attain the most power) hence the afc runs a tap into your ECU and corrects this number. Apexi and HKS both make excellent units.

Yeah, jason at jp said it was probably running lean. He said he could get the apexi s-afc new for $300 plus $150 for tuning. Will it give my car more go?
Old 02-29-04, 12:26 AM
crazeazn
Rookie

its not going to give you too much power boost, but it should help. i'm going to sell my safc soon, oh did you still need a stock exhaust?