IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

amy011079 Got some new shoes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 08:41 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SexY10
DANG!!!! big BALLIN AMY!!!!! hmm let me check for you there is a site that tells the calibration from wheel size modification. I dont know it but my friend does and when I get that site tonight i'll post it for you amy... Amy, i didnt know you were this HARDCORE, 19's are BLING BLINGin!!!!!!
Thanks girl! I will look for that later.

And you haven't quite seen how hard core I am in this yet. Just wait and see what's coming!
Old 03-01-04, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by amy011079
thisguy - thanks!

mmarshall - i can't remember what size the tires are for some reason, i will have to remember to check. but either way, with 19in wheels i am going to be off somewhere. i can't go too low profile or i will screw up the rims. if they were 18s i probably wouldn't have too much of a problem correcting it. what sort of correction devices are you talking about? i haven't heard of anything that i could use to fix that problem except for altering the tire size to match the stock measurements. thanks!
Check with TRD (Toyota Racing Development) or the Lexus parts bin to see if they have correction gears for the speedo and odometer assembly. There may also be ways of recalibrating the cluster electronically. I'm not really in expert in this area, but there are some other guys on this forum who are....like 1SICKLEX, DaveGS4, Flipside 909, Romini, etc.....they may be able to give you some parts numbers.
Depending on tire/wheel size, the calibrations may or may not be perfectly back to stock readings.
If all else fails, you can just remember how much the unit is off and adjust your indicated speed accordingly.
What led you to 19-inchers in the first place?.....just looks, or did you want to put more rubber on the pavement for cornering and braking? The increased rolling friction of the 19-inchers may also impact slightly ( not a whole lot ) on gas mileage.
Old 03-01-04, 08:57 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
Check with TRD (Toyota Racing Development) or the Lexus parts bin to see if they have correction gears for the speedo and odometer assembly. There may also be ways of recalibrating the cluster electronically. I'm not really in expert in this area, but there are some other guys on this forum who are....like 1SICKLEX, DaveGS4, Flipside 909, Romini, etc.....they may be able to give you some parts numbers.
Depending on tire/wheel size, the calibrations may or may not be perfectly back to stock readings.
If all else fails, you can just remember how much the unit is off and adjust your indicated speed accordingly.
What led you to 19-inchers in the first place?.....just looks, or did you want to put more rubber on the pavement for cornering and braking? The increased rolling friction of the 19-inchers may also impact slightly ( not a whole lot ) on gas mileage.
Well, I was originally looking at 18s of a different wheel and brand but a deal came up with these that I couldn't refuse. I really liked these anyway but was originally looking at silver with a polished lip. But looking at them next to the car and all I figured out that these would look good, and would be different. So I got these instead. I love them and am glad I went with these.
Old 03-01-04, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I agree that polished silver looks nice. Subaru tried bright gold alloy wheels a few years ago on the Impreza RS (before the WRX came out). They looked awful. Now they are putting those same gold wheels on some of the new STi's. Again, just awful. But...what can you say?....those cars sure sold.
Old 03-01-04, 01:51 PM
JS300
Driver School Candidate

speedometer changes depend on the overall diameter of the wheels and tire. you can't tell by wheel size. you could have an 18" tire with really high sidewalls be larger overall than a 19" tire.

go here to calculate how much your speedometer will be off:

Tire Size Calculator

enter the stock tire size (215/45/17), and then enter your new tire size, and it'll tell you how far off your speedometer will be. having a slightly larger overall diameter won't really affect anything.

Last edited by JS300; 03-01-04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 02:21 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

ok well according to that link (whats up with the miata thing???) it say's it is 2.4% slow. if my speedo says 60 i am going 61.4. not too bad then.
Old 03-01-04, 02:32 PM
JS300
Driver School Candidate

ok well according to that link (whats up with the miata thing???) it say's it is 2.4% slow. if my speedo says 60 i am going 61.4. not too bad then.
there are a ton of tire size calculators on various car websites. the miata one is just one of them.

that difference isn't too bad. you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-01-04, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's nothing i wouldn't worry about it. i doubt if thre is any way to fix the speedo anyway, not that i know of. my gs4 is 6% out of spec, that's major. when it says 80mph, i gotta be careful, coz' i am doing 85 already
Old 03-01-04, 10:18 PM
SexY10
Driver

hey amy! my friend isn't picking up his phone. i i'll bug him tomw for sure about cuz i'm making the boy come over and help me set up my fish tank! hahah sorry about the delay
Old 03-01-04, 11:00 PM
SexY10
Driver

http://www.web-cars.com/math/tiresize.html

okie i got it! there you go check that website, for any car any tire size modification.... hope that helps u out amy.......
Old 03-02-04, 10:06 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.web-cars.com/math/tiresize.html

okie i got it! there you go check that website, for any car any tire size modification.... hope that helps u out amy.......
well according to this one, it says that the ratio of my old vs the new is .97. which is the same as the other that i saw. that is just awesome! glad it's not much difference. thanks sexy!!!
Old 03-02-04, 10:12 AM
SexY10
Driver

haha! no prob silly! i'm glad you're enjoying ur car
Old 03-02-04, 10:18 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

haha! no prob silly! i'm glad you're enjoying ur car
you bet i am! thanks!
Old 03-02-04, 02:05 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

they are actually 35 series. i dunno how long i am going to keep these, i get the worst vibration at about 55-65mph. anyone have a clue what it could be? i had them balanced this morning and it still does it. it is so annoying.
Sounds like a problem with the hub centering rings. There should have been at least two small plastic rings around 3" around that came with the wheels. These have to be installed either inside the back of the center of the wheel, or put onto the center hub of your brake rotor before putting on the wheel. You can get by with only having them on the front, at which point you would only need two.

If you don't put these on you will have BAD problems at freeway speeds!!!
Old 03-03-04, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default 55-65 MPH vibration

You say you had them balanced checked and it still vibrates. I'd suggest taking it back to the shop, put the tire-wheel assemblies back on the machine, spin them, and while they're spinning, look and see if there is any visible tire or wheel runout (out-of-roundness). Runout can be of two types....lateral (side-to-side) wobble, and vertical (up-and-down) type. The up-and-down type is also known as hop. Out-of-roundness can give you a vibration even if the machine is perfectly calibrated (many are not) and the operator uses it properly (many do not). A tire can also be measured with a out-of-round gauge. A tire is generally considered defective if it is .030" out of round....this varies slightly with different makes.
Sometimes doing what is known as a 180 can help. If the tire/wheel wobbles, take off the tire and remount it directly across the wheel from its former position.....hence the name 180. The high spot on the wheel sometimes will counter the low spot on the tire this way, and it will be perfectly round. Alloy wheels are generally pretty round, but sometimes defects do occur.
If that doesn't help, try another shop or balance machine. Many companies....NTB in particular...stand behind their work and will give you free re-checks as long as you're not satisfied with it.
As the earlier posts suggest, hubs can also give a vibration...but that is a whole other area.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: amy011079 Got some new shoes!!!