IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Fuel Cut Off Manual IS Question and a Top End Run with WRX.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 10:36 PM
TRD04IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by flipside909
I think you're forgetting a big factor here. The 2ZZ-GE was designed by Yamaha and was allowed to be a high revving motor to reach its powerband. The 2JZ-GE on the other hand wasn't designed to be buried past it's redline. You have totally disregarded the idea that the I6 in your IS is not a torqueless motor that needs variable lift to gain power. The 2JZ wasn't designed, engineered or built to rev high. Period. The IS is in a different league than the Celica is. Drive it more responsibly or you'll be asking for a rebuild or engine swap sooner than you know it.
i know that the 2JZ wasn't designed to rev high, you can clearly see that by the tach and engine code. my point regarding the rev-limiter it was designed to prevent damage to the motor. that's the main reason why manufacter's has them. so, bumping the limiter would not cause a rebuild or swap. if there wasn't rev-limiters in cars then i could understand the concept of engine failure. what causes engines to fail is poor maintainance and driver error (ie: mis-shifts). bumping the limiter ocassionally would not cause engine failure. i've taken the gts to streets of willow and solo2 events and whenever you see a powerful car on the track you always hear them hitting the limiter on certain corners to keep the powerband up. its okay to hit it once and awhile, but i don't suggest hitting it on every up-shift.

IS' rev limiter is ignition controlled. The speed limiter is fuel cut.
if the rev-limiter is ignition controlled its better for the car than fuel. the engine is still recieving fuel when it hits the limiter @6400rpms.

Last edited by TRD04IS; 05-17-04 at 10:41 PM.