IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

remove yellow from is300 foglight.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 09:49 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
i am curious why it would decrease light output? if you sand it rough, then go to 180, 220, and eventually wet sand with 2000 you get pretty much a clear lens?
I don't really know, but maybe the refraction of the light may be slightly different?
Old 08-03-04, 12:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by bchau_gt
I don't really know, but maybe the refraction of the light may be slightly different?
wow if that's the case you must be sanding a lot of the lens?! if you are sanding like 1mm i don't think it's going to change much?
Old 08-18-04, 09:53 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

i am curious why it would decrease light output? if you sand it rough, then go to 180, 220, and eventually wet sand with 2000 you get pretty much a clear lens?
I agree with you on that.But just too much work.
Old 08-18-04, 12:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by lexus4jess2
I agree with you on that.But just too much work.
yeah that's definitely some work, afterwards you probably get a sore hand, haha
Old 08-20-04, 08:12 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

just sanded the lens.Your right, on the len ,it's clear,they spray the lens with some transparent yellow paint on the flat side of the lens.my bad

Last edited by lexus4jess; 08-20-04 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-22-04, 04:38 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

wow, this is a great guide. i wish i had the guts to bake the fixtures though. can you elaborate on that procedure?

so i guess after your final test, paint thinner will work just like sanding? i do like that RX light swap though. seems easy and painless.

i like to do this except that i would hate to mess up anything having to bake and then reseal...how do you reseal anyway?

thanks.
Old 08-22-04, 06:47 PM
AA Concepts
Pole Position

Thinner will not work to clear the lens.

You will need to to use sandpaper or a dremel to get it off.
Old 08-23-04, 02:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

just sanded the lens.Your right, on the len ,it's clear,they spray the lens with some transparent yellow paint on the flat side of the lens.my bad
ah gotcha, so the yellow isn't on both sides of the lens, just on the flat side huh?
Old 08-23-04, 09:49 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

ah gotcha, so the yellow isn't on both sides of the lens, just on the flat side huh?
yeah. but doing the swap is better then sanding
Old 08-23-04, 09:52 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Originally posted by darden
wow, this is a great guide. i wish i had the guts to bake the fixtures though. can you elaborate on that procedure?

so i guess after your final test, paint thinner will work just like sanding? i do like that RX light swap though. seems easy and painless.

i like to do this except that i would hate to mess up anything having to bake and then reseal...how do you reseal anyway?

thanks.
you can use a heat gun to remove the lens as well. if you don't wat to put it in the oven.
Old 08-24-04, 10:20 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

you can use a heat gun to remove the lens as well. if you don't wat to put it in the oven.
thanks man for the helpful info. still debating if i want to try this out myself. maybe when i move out to SOCAL, i can seek your expert help in this area in person.
Old 08-25-04, 12:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks man for the helpful info. still debating if i want to try this out myself. maybe when i move out to SOCAL, i can seek your expert help in this area in person.
it's a nice mod if you wanna have matching headlights color, you should do it. me myself i love the yellow fogs which tells it's a lexus, that's why i am keeping them
Old 08-25-04, 12:42 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

it's a nice mod if you wanna have matching headlights color, you should do it. me myself i love the yellow fogs which tells it's a lexus, that's why i am keeping them
yeah, i like the yellow fogs. i don't turn on my fogs unless it's really foggy or raining. but i do also like the white. i can't decide.

as for functionality, you think yellow outperforms white in foggy conditions? or maybe not much difference.

Last edited by darden; 08-25-04 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 01:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah, i like the yellow fogs. i don't turn on my fogs unless it's really foggy or raining. but i do also like the white. i can't decide.

as for functionality, you think yellow outperforms white in foggy conditions? or maybe not much difference.
oh my fogs on both gs4 and is3 are always on whenever headlights are on i just love them too much, hehe...

in terms of foggy occasion, yellow DEFINITELY works better than white. the idea under foggy situation is that you want to have some soft light penetrating the fogs. yellow is a lot softer than white light, so that's why. putting white (specially if you change the bulb to superwhite as well) it's not going to help in foggy situation
Old 08-25-04, 02:37 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

oh my fogs on both gs4 and is3 are always on whenever headlights are on i just love them too much, hehe...

in terms of foggy occasion, yellow DEFINITELY works better than white. the idea under foggy situation is that you want to have some soft light penetrating the fogs. yellow is a lot softer than white light, so that's why. putting white (specially if you change the bulb to superwhite as well) it's not going to help in foggy situation
ok cool. thanks man. i probably will keep the yellow then. i am more of a functional type.

in my first bmw, i used to keep the fogs on all the time, but i found out that they kinda burn out too fast. after that car, i just kept the fogs off on the cars and used them when necessary. in doing so kept the bulbs lasting for a really long time. i think i have gotten lazy, not that it's a big deal or something to replace the fog bulbs.

Quick Reply: remove yellow from is300 foglight.