IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Test Drive...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 11:00 AM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test Drive...

I've always wanted to test-drive an IS300 5 speed just to see how the car feels and drives. The CPO section of my local Lexus dealer happens to have 1 of these babies in stock for sale. The problem is that I'm not going to buy the car, but just to experience it for maybe 5 minutes and see how it feels. Has anyone ever done this, knowing that you won't be buying the car for sure, and yet just driving it for the sake of the experience? The only cars that I've test-driven were the ones that I bought.
Old 08-04-04, 11:16 AM
ISfrmHoldn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've sold cars before. Go into the dealership and tell them you're out test driving cars. Let them know the IS300 (5-Speed) is on your list of choices and you are not making any decision until you drive all of the cars you are interested in. The Lexus dealer should have no problem with this. I have an IS 5-speed. I recommend you go on the test drive. Let me know if you get any vibration when letting out the clutch...
Old 08-04-04, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have test driven a lot of cars and i knew i wasn't going to buy. go in there, in relatively good clothing (not suit, but not slippers and shorts), be nice, ask about the car, and you will get to drive it
Old 08-04-04, 07:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yeah go for the test drive. It's not like they're gonna turn down a potential sale. Even though you know you aren't gonna buy. But then again, you might have a hard time saying no after the drive.
Old 08-04-04, 08:37 PM
single sho
Driver

We (my wife and I) use to go test drive cars all the time just for grins. I have a problem (new car envy) so by test driving cars that made me drool it usually eliminated half of the cars I drove when it actually came time to buy. The local Lexus dealer has NEVER sent a sales person with us, so that gave me the opportunity to really put the car through the ropes. That's why I purchased the IS... too much fun..

Go for the test drive.. I would test drive a manual if they had one in stock when I was in there for a oil change. What the hell.

single shot
Old 08-04-04, 10:23 PM
azari
Intermediate

Default Test-Drive Done!!

Ok guys, just test drove the car this afternoon! 2003 with 28000 miles. Charcoal color. First, the gentleman did not come with me, which was great, because you can really focus on the experience, as opposed to be concioncious. So that was great.

As for the car, the IS 5 speed is a very nice car. My first impression upon getting behind wheel was how nicely it fit me (i'm 6'1"). It felt right. My hand fell right on the shifter. Interior was high quality. Then I played around for a few seconds with the shifter and went through all gears; again, nice!! Turned the key and started engine; I had originally expected a better engine/exhaust note, but I wasn't disappointed at all either. Revved it and was very smooth. Took it for a spin and clutch engagement point was really nice and as expected.

Couple of things I noticed: This car accelerates seamelessly; so if you're not paying attention, you could end up with a lot of tickets (now how bad is it to get a ticket on your test drive). It's not necessarily torquy, but it accelerates very effortlessly and before you know it, you're doing 50 in the city (happened to me many times). The other thing is how quick the steering is; the wheel is very sensitive and feels precise. Also, the shifter takes no time to get used to, and it's just alot of fun to switch back and fourth from 2nd, 3rd and 4th, as I did a lot. Power delivery is smooth and even.

A couple of other things: As I said before, the car felt very high quality in the interior department with great fit and better than almost any car i've driven; but without sounding biased or negative, I felt that my 1991 LS400 still had an edge in quality. Touching different interior panels and center console, the IS 300 was great, but my LS it feels like you're touching a piece of rock or cement. Also, in the torque department, the IS was just a tad bit lacking (power is way more than adequate for virtually all driving situations though), and I didn't quite get the same neck-snapping effect (torque) as I do in my LS400.

Final word: If I had to buy a new car, I would absoloutely get the IS300 5 speed. In fact, that will most likely be my next car (and i'll buy new, because i think cars of this sporty nature are more likely to be driven hard and/or abused, so new will be the best bet). But "when" I will buy one will be another issue. Most likely I'll end up with the next generation as I don't have the $$ for it just yet. So, it'll be a few years.
Old 08-04-04, 10:26 PM
azari
Intermediate

So the above was my review of the IS300 5spd;

Comments and inputs are of course welcome.
Old 08-04-04, 11:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah it's definitely a nice car. being an owner of the 5 speed, i have to agree it's so much fun driving the car. however also being an owner of the gs4 i have the say that the pwoer is lacking, specially the tq that's what i miss a lot. redlining in 1st i really don't feel much power on the is3. otherwise, nice car
Old 08-15-04, 12:18 PM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

A few months ago, I test drove the 2004 Audi S4. Lot's of power. But while driving iy, all I was thinking was,..........

"330XI or the GS, 330XI or the GS, 330XI or the GS"

-Donald

P.S. I hate it when dealers talk too much while we test drive cars.
Old 08-15-04, 09:11 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

1 word for the IS.

BOOST.
Old 08-16-04, 01:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by MY GS300
A few months ago, I test drove the 2004 Audi S4. Lot's of power. But while driving iy, all I was thinking was,..........

"330XI or the GS, 330XI or the GS, 330XI or the GS"

-Donald

P.S. I hate it when dealers talk too much while we test drive cars.
that's why i usually tell them to just let me drive