IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Toyomoto vs Xerd

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-04, 07:57 AM
bobthefish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Toyomoto vs Xerd

OK i am VERy new so all help would be great!! i want to increase the performance but i dont want to be like every other honda civic out there with annoying exhaust!! I am considering header and y-pipe on my 2004 IS the only ones i found are by Toyomoto and Xerd??!! Which one do people have installed? Are they gonna make my car sound like a weed wacker? or is there a company that makes complete exhaust system (header, y-pipe, cat-back)? Thanks for all the input!!!
Old 08-09-04, 10:52 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

TurboEast (formerly known as TBKO) also sells a header/race-pipe combo. I don't think any company sells a full exhaust system setup (from header to muffler).

Adding a header or race pipe will not make your car sound like a weed-wacker. What it will do is likely increase the exhaust volume and generate a deeper, throatier, and potentially raspier exhaust sound. It's the rear-section (muffler) that causes the drone, and in my opinion, contributes to any annoying exhaust sound.
Old 08-10-04, 09:15 AM
bobthefish
Driver School Candidate

ANy suggestions so that my car wont sound like a weed wacker?
Old 08-10-04, 09:29 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bobthefish
ANy suggestions so that my car wont sound like a weed wacker?
Well, a header and race pipe won't make it sound like a weed wacker. If you're asking about the exhaust, then there are many good ones to choose from. Depending on whether you want the most power gains, quietest exhaust, deepest sounding exhaust, axle-back, or cat-back, there are many to choose from.

Here's a list of exhausts from what I've heard and what I've read about (off the top of my head):
* HKS Hiper (probably highest power gains, but may be loud for some and has drone)
* HKS Dragger II (moderate gains and somewhat quiet, deep tone and has drone)
* GReddy Evo/Evo II (mild gains and a very deep growl sound and has drone)
* L-Tuned (moderate gains and very, very quiet with no drone)
* LSportline (moderate gains and quiet with supposedly no drone)
* Borla (moderate gains and fairly quiet with a deep sound and supposedly has a little drone)
* HKS Ti-Limited (not sure it's still offered, but supposedly similar to the L-Tuned)
* Tanabe Racing Medallion (moderate gains, but supposedly very loud and has drone)
* Tanabe Hyper Medallion (same as above)
* Apex'i WS (supposedly quiet)
* Apex'i N1 (supposedly decent gains and may be somewhat loud)
* Carson-Tuned (moderate gains and fairly quiet, but has a little drone)
* HKS Carbon Fiber Ti (same as HKS Hiper, but wrapped in carbon fiber and has a Ti tip)

Please note, I may be wrong about some of the exhausts above, so hopefully others will correct me.
Old 08-12-04, 10:07 AM
bobthefish
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

HOLLY **** thanks buddy!!!! yeah i am lookin for cat back!!! thanks alot yeah and i hope that others input as well!!!!
Old 08-12-04, 10:11 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Is there a particular reason you want a cat-back exhaust? Typically, axle-back exhausts have produced more power.

Some cat-back exhausts from the above list are:
* GReddy Evo/Evo2
* Apex'i N1 (and WS, I believe)
* Borla (I think)
Old 08-12-04, 12:38 PM
bobthefish
Driver School Candidate

sorry if i am confusing but i used to have a 11 sec mustang and tryin to convert my knowledge from that car to my IS. this is what i want i want headers, race pipe (takes inplace of the cat's, right?) then i would need cat-back exhaust to finish the job, right? thanks for all the help. i also saw on ebay a muff with a tip that spun to reduce or change the sound? any good? thanky ou again
Old 08-12-04, 01:06 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

I usually don't like any generic eBay stuff, and I prefer to buy well-known or tested brands.

If you wish to change out the exhaust system, then you will also need tuning with a piggy-back EMS to get the most power. That's just something else for you to consider.

Also, if you want an 11sec IS300, that will be fairly difficult and required lots and lots of money.

The exhaust piping on the IS300 goes as follows:
Engine >> header/exhaust manifold >> race pipe/y-pipe >> b-pipe >> axle-back exhaust/muffler

The cats are located on the exhaust manifold and y-pipe; 2 small cats (one on each bank) of the exhaust manifold and one larger cat on the y-pipe. So you're correct in saying that a header and race pipe will remove all cats.

Most people I've heard about selected axle-back exhausts because of the power gains. The stock b-pipe includes a resonator, which also helps keep the noise down. Cat-back exhausts will replace the b-pipe and the rear-section of the exhaust.

Some people have even used an axle-back exhaust and replaced the b-pipe with a straight pipe. That will make your car pretty damn loud, so I don't know if you'll want that or not.

There are a lot of choices, so you can just go to the websites of all the exhaust manufacturers listed above, then decide what's best for your interests. There are also a lot of resources on this forum already I'm sure, as well as, IS300.net.
Old 08-12-04, 02:43 PM
TCM080903
Pole Position

dang, B, good info!!

you've given some great, informative info...

btw, i've got the Ltuned exhaust, and i love it.
Old 08-12-04, 03:01 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TCM080903
dang, B, good info!!

you've given some great, informative info...

btw, i've got the Ltuned exhaust, and i love it.
Thanks E, just trying to help out.

BTW, I wish I had a nice, quiet L-Tuned exhaust.
Old 08-12-04, 03:31 PM
TCM080903
Pole Position

Originally posted by bchau_gt
Thanks E, just trying to help out.

BTW, I wish I had a nice, quiet L-Tuned exhaust.
it's not as quiet as you think though...i thought it would be REALLY quiet, but it's not. it's quiet in terms of aftermarket exhausts, but i expected quiet compared to stock. it's still loud enough where ppl inside the car notice or else ppl in the backseat tell me they can "feel" it. heehee...but when the radio's on, it's not that audible...

btw, if they had dots or something here, i'd give you some.
Old 08-12-04, 06:53 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TCM080903
it's not as quiet as you think though...i thought it would be REALLY quiet, but it's not. it's quiet in terms of aftermarket exhausts, but i expected quiet compared to stock. it's still loud enough where ppl inside the car notice or else ppl in the backseat tell me they can "feel" it. heehee...but when the radio's on, it's not that audible...

btw, if they had dots or something here, i'd give you some.
I would still think that the L-Tuned exhaust is quieter than my Dragger II. I've heard the L-Tuned exhaust in person and it was louder than I expected, but it sounds really nice with that deep rumble. The other advantage of the L-Tuned is that here is no drone.

Too bad there aren't dots here, but it's the thought that counts.
Old 08-16-04, 01:38 PM
bobthefish
Driver School Candidate

Hey TCM~
NOt to be nosey but what was the price on the L-Tuned exhaust? Is there a L-tuned website i was just wondering about the parts they make for the IS. i also told the salesman when i bought my car (3weeks ago) the only way ill sign the papers is if i get his price on l-tuned parts so i am waiting for the list. he also told me that as long as the dealership installs the parts it wont void the warranty??!!! i can only imagin the labor rate at a dealership??!!!?!?!?!?
Old 08-16-04, 02:06 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bobthefish
Hey TCM~
NOt to be nosey but what was the price on the L-Tuned exhaust? Is there a L-tuned website i was just wondering about the parts they make for the IS. i also told the salesman when i bought my car (3weeks ago) the only way ill sign the papers is if i get his price on l-tuned parts so i am waiting for the list. he also told me that as long as the dealership installs the parts it wont void the warranty??!!! i can only imagin the labor rate at a dealership??!!!?!?!?!?
The dealership doesn't typically offer L-Tuned parts anymore. The L-Tuned edition IS300 was only around for a year or so. TCM got her exhaust used from someone who has an L-Tuned iS300. However, Carson Toyota (http://www.l-tunedparts.com/) probably has the best prices on L-Tuned items, and may be the only ones who can get it for you. The exhaust is ~$600. If you find another dealer that sells for cheaper, then let me know as well.

Also, even if the dealer doesn't install the parts for you, you still will not void your warranty. They want to install it because they'll make money. They cannot legally void your warranty unless they prove that your exhaust caused a problem; and I don't know how any exhaust could ever cause some other failure.
Old 08-16-04, 03:19 PM
TCM080903
Pole Position

Originally posted by bchau_gt
The dealership doesn't typically offer L-Tuned parts anymore. The L-Tuned edition IS300 was only around for a year or so. TCM got her exhaust used from someone who has an L-Tuned iS300. However, Carson Toyota (http://www.l-tunedparts.com/) probably has the best prices on L-Tuned items, and may be the only ones who can get it for you. The exhaust is ~$600. If you find another dealer that sells for cheaper, then let me know as well.

Also, even if the dealer doesn't install the parts for you, you still will not void your warranty. They want to install it because they'll make money. They cannot legally void your warranty unless they prove that your exhaust caused a problem; and I don't know how any exhaust could ever cause some other failure.
great answers, B! sorry for the late response, bobthefish. yeah, carson toyota is your best bet for the ltuned exhaust. their website is linked above in b_chau's post. i believe it's about $600. you might be able to find some used here and there, but i haven't seen many used ones for sale lately.

as for the warranty, B's correct. they can't void it simply b/c of the exhaust. they're probably telling you that if they install it, they'll warranty it like any other lexus certified accessory they sell/install. so they'll probably warranty it for maybe 1 year, i think? but i don't think you'll really have any problems with an exhaust, so you don't really need that 1 year warranty on the part and install.

Quick Reply: Toyomoto vs Xerd