IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Newbie question re mroe power (did searches)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 03:36 AM
leebol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question re more power (did searches)

I just got a '04 IS300 (manual) and absolutely love it. I'm interested in the most cost-effective, hassle-free way of modifying the car to add additional HP (say 30-50, possibly more if it's possible)., but by spending under $1000-$1500 with installation included (I couldn't even try).

So 2 questions:
(1) what options do I have, if any?
(2) Which modifications wouldn't kill my warranty? I don't want to nullify the warranty on the car, so I want to avoid any modifications that would potentially give the dealer/manufacture a basis to argue that a problem isn't covered due to the modif. (my limited research suggests that unless the modificiation is a direct cause of the problem, the warranty still stands -- is that right?

Thanks for any responses and your patience with a total newbie.

Last edited by leebol; 09-21-04 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-21-04, 11:22 PM
E12ic46
Driver

Default Re: Newbie question re more power (did searches)

Originally posted by leebol
I just got a '04 IS300 (manual) and absolutely love it. I'm interested in the most cost-effective, hassle-free way of modifying the car to add additional HP (say 30-50, possibly more if it's possible)., but by spending under $1000-$1500 with installation included (I couldn't even try).

So 2 questions:
(2) Which modifications wouldn't kill my warranty? I don't want to nullify the warranty on the car, so I want to avoid any modifications that would potentially give the dealer/manufacture a basis to argue that a problem isn't covered due to the modif. (my limited research suggests that unless the modificiation is a direct cause of the problem, the warranty still stands -- is that right?

hmmmm...I just bought my is300 not too long ago..like in june sometime....so far I added an intake and thats about it...im aiming for an exhaust next!!! I dont think any of those mods will void your warranty...the only thing is IF anything does happen, you must put it back to stock. I think headers will void your warranty and i think it would be a big ****** to put back to stock if anything happens..intake runs about $250-300 unless your aiming for srt which is a whooping $525. I would love to grab that but its out of my range. exhaust runs from 400-900 depending what brand and type you want.

So the bottom line if I were you with $1500..I would grab an intake, header, exhaust, and a SAFC

SAFC and header will void ur warranty so good luck with your choices
Old 09-22-04, 02:17 AM
leebol
Driver School Candidate

Cool - that was just the type of advice I needed to start my research -- thanks a lot for the post, I appreciate it
Old 09-22-04, 12:51 PM
scottc25
Driver

To add to the above advice:

If you are looking @ $1500 you are not going to add 50rwhp. It just won't happen. If you want to get #'s say goodbye to the warranty. With the standard Intake, Header, Exhaust, SAFC set-up I would say you could gain around 25 rwhp. All of this can be done for around $1,500 installed. The gain in power IMO is not worth the $. That's why I went F/I. At least a lot of my N/A mods helped with the F/I, such as exhaust, header, SAFC.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-04, 03:46 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

You could always go on the bottle but .........realistically I dont think any other bolt ons will give you the yield you are after for what you want to spend.
Old 09-22-04, 04:52 PM
chicolex
Rookie

with $1,500 you'll get around 20-25 wheelHP, i spent almost the same amount of money for my mods and those mods will **** the warranty. my next plan is F/I and learn as much as you can in how to modify your car (engine wise) in case something happen due to the mods you installed. go to IS300.NET for more info, be prepared when you post there, clublexus folks are so much nicers

Last edited by chicolex; 09-22-04 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 12:32 AM
leebol
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks to all the helpful replys. I've been checking out IS300.net religiously, which is a great resource.

Last question -- I kow that everyone's needs and preferences are different, but in terms of reputation and reliability, are there any companies that people recommend that offer F/I systems, particularly those in the Bay Area? Preference would again go to those with affiliated dealers/outlets that install them....

Thanks again.
Old 10-05-04, 10:11 AM
TCM080903
Pole Position

Default Re: Newbie question re more power (did searches)

Originally posted by leebol

So 2 questions:

you are correct on that portion in italics. i don't think most mods can instantly "kill" your warranty simply b/c you install it. esp not for most bolt-ons, such as most intakes, exhaust, headers...they would have to prove that modification caused the malfunction/problem. they canNOT void your warranty simply b/c you have aftermarket parts installed!!

(btw E12ic46, i haven't heard that headers or SAFC will definitely void a warranty. care to enlighten me? )

and in regards to your question, i think we'd all love to get 30-50 rwhp gain with a $1000-1500 investment. but it's really not feasible. like everyone else has stated, you can get an intake, exhaust, headers, SAFC, etc...you can find used parts on is300.net fairly easily for most of those parts, and you'll save a LOT more money that way too! but if you're looking for new, may i suggest the .NET store or carson toyota's website www.carsontuned.com? happy shopping!