IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

I decided i was only going to do this once..... climate built with 400,000 mcd led's

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 02:34 AM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I decided i was only going to do this once..... climate built with 400,000 mcd led's

The magic number is 40. Forty 10,000 mcd blue German led's totalling an astounding 400,000 mcd in led's are being used to do this climate unit. This is a very custom order and I hope i never have to do it again. The unit is built with *Shadowboxer Technology, the brightest form of cluster lighting led's can possibly do.

Anyone that curently has a Shadowboxer knows the timepiece is blindingly bright, This climate was built to be identical to the center ring of a Shadowboxer. It is hopefully a one time thing, i'm not fond of the man hours it takes to build them. Totally redesigned and completely custom built "pipework" to run the mainframe of the voltage network to all 40 led's takes literally days and sleepless nights.

Why though? Why do this? Because there is nothing out there that will ever touch it It is 25 times brighter than any "kit" produced by anyone anywhere for the IS. It involves close to 75 hours to build and lay the completely hand built aluminum framework to support the led's and tracers. It produces the same amount of light as a 40 watt lightbulb sitting in the seat of your car. The "average" blue climate just won't cut it, we are specialty custom lighting.

It's V.I.P.

I just wanted to post a few teasers of it before it was completely done
Attached Thumbnails I decided i was only going to do this once..... climate built with 400,000 mcd  led's-isclimateshadowe-007.jpg  

Last edited by L. L. S.; 10-15-04 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-15-04, 02:34 AM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Attached Thumbnails I decided i was only going to do this once..... climate built with 400,000 mcd  led's-isclimateshadowe-005.jpg  
Old 10-15-04, 02:35 AM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

last pic. I'll update the thread soon.
Attached Thumbnails I decided i was only going to do this once..... climate built with 400,000 mcd  led's-isclimateshadowe-006.jpg  
Old 10-15-04, 02:39 AM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Oh, for the people that haven't seen our shadowboxer technology, the climate will match the center speedometer ring of the cluster below.
Attached Thumbnails I decided i was only going to do this once..... climate built with 400,000 mcd  led's-img_60622222watermarked.jpg  

Last edited by L. L. S.; 10-15-04 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-15-04, 09:19 PM
eyedrop
Driver

I have been wanting to order the Shadowboxer cluster for the IS from you since day 1. I know you have a GB going on right now.

The ONLY reason I'm holding back is that it wouldn't match the climate area. And I have navigation on my 2002 as well. Will you ever release a kit for it?

You said it's custom work. Can you PM me on how much it would cost to have you "make" another one? Just do it one more time....please. Thanks.
Old 10-16-04, 01:23 AM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Have you ever priced technician labor by the hour?

If i decide to use the non shadowboxer type design, which doesn't look too much different from a few "other" things i have seen on the web, i'll be sure to post up, but "normal" is boring. We try to do something very special everytime.

If i priced this job at $150 i would make around $2 per hour Which is what this one went for.

But, would i build another? Hmmm, i actually have one more idea in mind i'd like to try, if it didn't turn out the way i want, i could always just build this once more.

Last edited by L. L. S.; 10-16-04 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 09:16 AM
IS_Dude
Driver

why is it that i see multiple shades of blue. it looks real chincy and not uniform like stock.

i like the attempt, but i'll wait till it's all ironed out.
Old 10-16-04, 09:19 AM
eyedrop
Driver

I fully understand the labor involved in performing this kind of work. Well, I guess that's a no then?

Let me know when you decide to do it later on...or develop a more cost and time effective solutions.
Old 10-16-04, 10:25 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally posted by IS_Dude
why is it that i see multiple shades of blue. it looks real chincy and not uniform like stock.

i like the attempt, but i'll wait till it's all ironed out.
sorry guy, it's just a badly taken shot. the unit is perfect. this isn't like where you fire led's into space and bare area's. it is a solid row of led's. my camera has never photo'd blue worth a dang.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-16-04 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 10:57 AM
IS_Dude
Driver

well, the color looks fine, it's just that the gradient changes. showing different tones(intensity) of blue and not an even spectrum.

It's the same on the other photos too. It's almost there man, keep it up.

btw: i know what the backside of the display is so i understand the difficulty.

Originally posted by O. L. T.
sorry guy, it's just a badly taken shot. the unit is perfect. this isn't like where you fire led's into space and bare area's. it is a solid row of led's. my camera has never photo'd blue worth a dang.
Old 10-16-04, 02:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

If it were just a few led's fired around it would be different. When i say a solid row, i mean a SOLID row that's why it is 20 times brighter than anything else out there. The pic below shows the first build of the unit, i didn't like it and changed it even more, included 8 more led's in that one spot.

This camera just doesn't like blue at all. I know what the spotting looks like when the intensity is different, lord knows i have taken a lot of those shots. If this were any color than blue, or i had a different camera, it wouldn't blow the contrast out of whack.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-25-04 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-16-04, 11:57 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Attached Thumbnails I decided i was only going to do this once..... climate built with 400,000 mcd  led's-isclimateshadowe-011.jpg  
Old 10-27-04, 01:42 PM
LMBLF8
Rookie

Holy **** that looks nice! Will anything be made for the SC like this?
Old 11-16-04, 09:56 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Let there be bling

Old 11-16-04, 10:01 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

...and in case you are wondering........

http://lextech.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=113

Quick Reply: I decided i was only going to do this once..... climate built with 400,000 mcd led's