IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS 300 vs. TL-S, CL-S, BMW 330i

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-01, 04:01 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, so I have like 1200 miles on my new IS, it seems like alot of people get all edgey around my car (Integra's, Accords, etc.)...kinda weird, cause I normally am all mellow, almost never get aggro. I am discovering that the IS, has alot of plain old torque, and a motor with much expandability. So my question is just stock how would I do against the cars mentioned in subject line ? Also I have to say the other night driving along a winding ridgetop road, some guy in like..a Nissan whatever, was all over my tail, so I just cruise and be cool, and then since I am well accustomed to this road, I finally decided to school this little boy racer..I shifted to auto manual, and at the perfect apex exit in a turn, dumped into 3, then just nailed it, he tried to keep up for like two or three turns, and by now I was just waaay ahead, silly Nissan.....tricks are for kids...Furthermore, after years of wanting the Supra TT, just because the motor was such a beast, I am very happy with the N/A version in the IS 300. People though unaware of the motor configuration, seem to think the IS has a 4 cyclinder in it like the poopy Infiniti G20, for sure many will be surprised.

Later,
Old 05-08-01, 05:41 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lexusnexus
Ok, so I have like 1200 miles on my new IS, it seems like alot of people get all edgey around my car (Integra's, Accords, etc.)...kinda weird, cause I normally am all mellow, almost never get aggro. I am discovering that the IS, has alot of plain old torque, and a motor with much expandability. So my question is just stock how would I do against the cars mentioned in subject line ? Also I have to say the other night driving along a winding ridgetop road, some guy in like..a Nissan whatever, was all over my tail, so I just cruise and be cool, and then since I am well accustomed to this road, I finally decided to school this little boy racer..I shifted to auto manual, and at the perfect apex exit in a turn, dumped into 3, then just nailed it, he tried to keep up for like two or three turns, and by now I was just waaay ahead, silly Nissan.....tricks are for kids...Furthermore, after years of wanting the Supra TT, just because the motor was such a beast, I am very happy with the N/A version in the IS 300. People though unaware of the motor configuration, seem to think the IS has a 4 cyclinder in it like the poopy Infiniti G20, for sure many will be surprised.

Later,
uhm..i dont agree with most of what you say. nissan, boy racer? uhm...the maxima carries one of the best v6 engines ever built, and its about to get better with the vq35de. not to mention the Skyline GT-R...which in stock form is already a monster. and than u just had to bring up the infiniti g20 eh? the motor in it is sr20de, which is the NA version of the silvia, only minor difference between the two motors, like compression, oil squirter, cams, and such. you dont like people underestimating your car, but you under estimate theres? not trying to be a d*ck at all...just trying to understand your point.
Old 05-08-01, 08:47 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Your totally right about the Skyline, really amazing car, the Nissan in question was a Altima, now I know no one gives this car any respect...and hopefully this will clarify the first post, the new Q45, sweet ! The new Maxima, er, well I don't care for the look of the car, but the engine is given a firm nod for dynamics.

Lastly, the G20....this car seems like it has a special following, I just can't see past the 4 cylinders configuration, every car that has just four (cylinders) seems to needs ultra high revs to enter into any kind of power band or torque curve.

Anyway, you didn't answer the question....CL-S, TL-S, etc...
Old 05-08-01, 09:31 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lexusnexus
Your totally right about the Skyline, really amazing car, the Nissan in question was a Altima, now I know no one gives this car any respect...and hopefully this will clarify the first post, the new Q45, sweet ! The new Maxima, er, well I don't care for the look of the car, but the engine is given a firm nod for dynamics.

Lastly, the G20....this car seems like it has a special following, I just can't see past the 4 cylinders configuration, every car that has just four (cylinders) seems to needs ultra high revs to enter into any kind of power band or torque curve.

Anyway, you didn't answer the question....CL-S, TL-S, etc...

top end on high revving 4cyl can be an advantage too. the jun silvia (same motor as g20 basically) runs 8s quarter mile times. as for CL-S and TL-S, dont be surprised if you get beat on the straights (45hp advantage, and bigger motor .2L but still bigger)..but around the corner and thru curves..they are nothing! 330i, i have raced, an auto...and we were bumper to bumper.
Old 05-08-01, 11:06 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tl-s and cl-s are both good bang for your $$$, if rear wheel drive is not a first priority.

i would just compare the IS300 and beemer.
Old 05-09-01, 04:24 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And you said you had problems with the other guys all over your tail? I had an S4 (for goodness sake) all over the IS3 when I was on a cruise. Just wish I had my GS4 so I could smack him down. Hindu guy with an attitude problem.

I've driven the BMW330xi, Acura CL type S, Acura TL type S, Infinity G20, older Nissan Maxima. The IS3 in stock form would LOSE to all of these cars listed with the exception of the crappy G20 in 0 to 60 and in a 1/4 run. The Bimmer and the Type S's will give you a headache...both have strong motors. The 330xi felt a bit heavier and stiffer in suspension. The Type S's...if you push them too hard you'll get a bit of oversteer on the turns. G20...the computer system is so bad that it literally took 3 FULL SECONDS for the system to respond to a full throttle input. This was on all of the G20's (3 of them) that I've driven. Quite poor. Maxima...sweet motor. Too bad they had to change the suspension over to a solid multi link axle rather than a fully independent one. Push the car a touch on the hard side and it'll hop.

Where the IS3 shines is in it's unique look and it's handling capability. More often than not I've gotten young drivers waving with big grins on their face. It's a refreshing car and it sure beats the dime a dozen BMW autos anyday. The bimmers, while nice, are as common as Honda Civics and riced out Integras. BORING.

The only one you'll clearly win against in stock form is the Infinity G20. But to me it isn't a 0 to 60 comparison. When you buy a Lexus, you always get Lexus quality. Try that with Acura "there's nothing wrong...completely normal", BMW (gives snotty look to young owner), Infinity (??????) and Nissan (sister to Infinity so the ????'s apply also).

But if you want to mod out your IS3, there's always the SRT intake. Plus, go with lightweight wheels instead of those heavy 20 inch ones. The IS3 that I drive has Pole Position SO2's with SSR GT1 18 inch wheels at 18 pounds each. Most weigh in the low 20's to high 20's. Unsprung weight makes ALOT of difference. With mods you'll have a fighting chance against the Maxima but the Type S's and 330's will still beat you by a little bit.

Percy
Going back into my GS4 to find that snotty S4 driver. Pick on the IS3, will ya?!??!
Old 05-10-01, 05:20 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

I tend to agree with both of the previous posts, for one the IS 300 is a Lexus, and the Ohio built Acura's seem maybe somewhat prone to some quality control issues, and body suspension dynamics in both the TL-S and CL-S seem OK, but I think pushed they may exhibit some steering float and ride bounce. And for another reason, my wife's V6 Accord EX looks very, very similar to the TL series. I do wish there was a way for TRD to release a supercharger for the IS, one that would have full factory warranty and not in anyway void the really great factory warranties 4/50 and 7/100. If there was a supercharger (which I believe, would provide just pure torque) released at say, $4500 installed, yikes....I think many, many people would be purchasing these units...Hey TRD are you reading this Ideally I'd like close to 300 HP with near zero or no daily drivability issues. That would truly be sweet......can you imagine the astonished faces of not only the TL-S, CL-S but even to some extent M-3 and NSX owners...that would be major grin medicine
Old 05-10-01, 08:07 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

lexusnexus - TRD is working on a SC as we speak. Should be out by early next year hopefully.
Old 05-10-01, 09:56 PM
dogofthegods

the only problem I have with my IS is the tranny. it is crappy. I think that is where we lose most of our power.
Old 05-10-01, 10:01 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

"the only problem I have with my IS is the tranny. it is crappy. I think that is where we lose most of our power."

you know, any auto tranny is like that.

"I tend to agree with both of the previous posts, for one the IS 300 is a Lexus, and the Ohio built Acura's seem maybe somewhat prone to some quality control issues, and body suspension dynamics in both the TL-S and CL-S seem OK, but I think pushed they may exhibit some steering float and ride bounce. And for another reason, my wife's V6 Accord EX looks very, very similar to the TL series. I do wish there was a way for TRD to release a supercharger for the IS, one that would have full factory warranty and not in anyway void the really great factory warranties 4/50 and 7/100. If there was a supercharger (which I believe, would provide just pure torque) released at say, $4500 installed, yikes....I think many, many people would be purchasing these units...Hey TRD are you reading this Ideally I'd like close to 300 HP with near zero or no daily drivability issues. That would truly be sweet......can you imagine the astonished faces of not only the TL-S, CL-S but even to some extent M-3 and NSX owners...that would be major grin medicine "

IS300 with TRD SC still will not have a chance against an M3 or NSX, trust me. the best it will get stock with the SC is around low 14s.
Old 05-11-01, 02:54 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well let us hope the manual IS drops 0-60 times and we can go from there.
SC an answer, I dunno, what about pushing the VVTi to the limit or something. HP wars are cool but I have stated in many a post before in most cars it's just a number on paper, not a real world thing. I cannot see the IS turbo beating the M3's 333hp, but check out the S4 "only" 250hp but 0-60 in low 5's so hopfully and IS with around 300 hp 0-60 in 5 flat.

Rumor mill has it they CAN shoehorn the 4.0liter engine in IS (not sure of 4.3) might have to extend front nose a lil to fit intercooler/radiator.

Then the Supra engine WILL fit (twin turbo kids).

Whatever it is it will kick major @#$%!!!

the manual IS300 will surely drop some times on the 0-60. as for SC/Turbo, they are both good ways to increase HP and the 2jzge motor have been known to withold pretty high amount of horsepower with stock internals. and YES, its very possible for a Turbo IS300 to beat the new E46 M3. as for your comment on the S4, what you dont realize or might have not taken into consideration is that the s4 quatro is AWD so that is an advantage for 0-60 timing.

and yes the 1UZFE (gs/ls400-430) motor will both right onto the IS300's engine bay, but i do not know if theres enough clearance from the hood.

2GZGTE will work and have been done. but it would be too much work, just like the 1UZFE would be.

you guys have to realize that the 2jzge motor has ALOT of potential...right now toyotmoto is pushing 540hp on their IS300, pretty damn impressive if you asking me. and from what ive been hearing, turboIS is upgrading his turbo. cant wait to get some official track numbers on these cars!
Old 05-11-01, 03:03 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

We definitley will be able to make our cars a M3 fighter. Just seeing how much hp toyomoto is getting out of the 2JZ-GE gives me plenty of hope
Old 05-11-01, 04:10 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

This is what I have suspected along, the weight of the IS 300, ah.. I think around 3,000 pounds, makes for a fairly good power to weight ratio, once you've added forced induction, I was pleased to see others are in agreement on taking on an M3. The excitment of seeing the M3 in your rearview mirror, and the look of dis-belief from the owner who has forked over about 50,000 for what he thought would be the ultimate alpha-male vehicle, would be woth at least 6,000 dollars to me. My dentist is on the waiting list for an M3, he has had 2 previous, and was really surprised about the story of the 500+ HP IS 300......he actually stopped for a moment with deer in the headlights look...