IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

trac light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 12:10 PM
jst2sic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trac light blinking

After I lowered 2in. and put 18" on my IS the light wont stop blinking what do I do? I don't really want to take it to the dealer, so they can tell me it's my fualt. Thanks for any advise.
Old 12-20-04, 05:10 PM
Styx
Rookie

I think that the blinking "Trac" light is actually for a faulty O2 sensor. I am not positive...but I am about 90% sure.
Old 12-20-04, 08:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, i never thought about the trac light has anything to do with the o2 sensor?

i am more inclined towards a bad connection (not completely plugged in or so) on the sensors on the suspension during the install?
Old 12-21-04, 05:39 AM
Styx
Rookie

When I had my headers installed we had a problem getting one of the O2's out. The mechanics thought that they might have broken it trying to pry it out. Well, we reconnected everything and there it was...that annoying, blinking "trac" light on the dash.

I called Lexus and asked them why the light was blinking. I figured it had somthing to do with the suspension or brakes. The Lexus mechanic said that a blinking "trac" light refers to a faulty O2 sensor. It makes sense to me that there was a problem with my O2's...but why that is the signal for it I have no idea.
Old 12-21-04, 10:40 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jst2sic
After I lowered 2in. and put 18" on my IS the light wont stop blinking what do I do? I don't really want to take it to the dealer, so they can tell me it's my fualt. Thanks for any advise.
Do you have any other mods other than lowering your car? Are you referring to your TRAC OFF light that's blinking? Just want to clarify. Do you also have the check engine light (CEL) on? They usually light up together.
Old 12-21-04, 01:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Styx
When I had my headers installed we had a problem getting one of the O2's out. The mechanics thought that they might have broken it trying to pry it out. Well, we reconnected everything and there it was...that annoying, blinking "trac" light on the dash.

I called Lexus and asked them why the light was blinking. I figured it had somthing to do with the suspension or brakes. The Lexus mechanic said that a blinking "trac" light refers to a faulty O2 sensor. It makes sense to me that there was a problem with my O2's...but why that is the signal for it I have no idea.
very interesting, it's funny how they relate the o2 to the trac

but either case, back to jst2sic, does the light come on right after you lowered the car? if so, then i think it has a lot to do with it?
Old 12-22-04, 09:46 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
very interesting, it's funny how they relate the o2 to the trac

but either case, back to jst2sic, does the light come on right after you lowered the car? if so, then i think it has a lot to do with it?
I'm pretty sure that if it's an O2/emissions related problem, the flashing TRAC OFF light will appear along with the CEL. I think the flashing TRAC OFF is just meant to get the driver's attention that something major may be wrong. That's why I asked if he was also getting a CEL.

I went through all this after I installed my kit, but I haven't had a CEL or any issues for over 1500 miles. Still never got the car completely tuned though. I got the CEL and flashing TRAC OFF lights for a variety of things including:
* Running too rich
* Running too lean
* O2 circuit slow response
* O2 heater circuit malfunction
* Random misfires or individual cylinder misfires

I've never heard of anyone getting a flashing TRAC OFF light from lowering their car, but it's possible.
Old 12-23-04, 07:22 AM
jst2sic
Driver School Candidate

that light started to blink when I lowered the car, however I did put on an air intake at the same time. A month later I did put on headers on I had the o2 sensors striped out, so now i only have one o2 sensor working. Of coarse my check engen lite is also on.
Old 12-23-04, 09:42 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

that light started to blink when I lowered the car, however I did put on an air intake at the same time. A month later I did put on headers on I had the o2 sensors striped out, so now i only have one o2 sensor working. Of coarse my check engen lite is also on.
Well, I still doubt that lowering your car caused the light to turn on. I think something was missing from the intake install; it's possible that a wiring harness was not plugged back in or the MAF sensor got damaged.

For the header, I don't understand why you had to strip out your O2 sensors and have only one remaining. What brand of header is this? All well-made headers should already have bungs in it for THREE of the O2 sensors (the fourth one goes into the y-pipe). Did you also get an O2 simulator with your header?

I'm not surprised that you would get a CEL and flashing TRAC OFF light if you're missing O2 sensors and didn't compensate for them by simulating their signals. Even if you have an O2 sim, it could have been installed incorrectly and cause the CEL and flashing TRAC OFF lights.

The first thing you should do is get an OBDII scan on your car so you know why you're getting the CEL and flashing TRAC OFF lights. Write down the exact error codes and go through there. It seems like you could have a combination of this going on.
Old 12-23-04, 02:27 PM
Styx
Rookie

This is a reply to the guy questioning the O2 sensors in the header. I had the headers and y-pipe installed at the same time. When we were taking the sensors out of the stock headers...well, one took a little convincing to come loose. I think it was broken then. After we switched out the headers we put the sensors back in. No big deal...I was just adding that a faulty sensor will cause the trac light to come on.

Last edited by Styx; 12-23-04 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 12:29 PM
jst2sic
Driver School Candidate

That's when two of mine got striped out. I didn't want them two strip out of coarse. the headeres are Megan racing. I want two put the sims on But I want every thing to be somewhat normal If I need to take it two the dealer.
Old 12-27-04, 12:59 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

That's when two of mine got striped out. I didn't want them two strip out of coarse. the headeres are Megan racing. I want two put the sims on But I want every thing to be somewhat normal If I need to take it two the dealer.
Your post was a little confusing to read, but did you get an OBDII scan yet? Do that first to figure out what codes the car is throwing, then work from there. If you don't have O2 sims for your header, then that definitely could be the cause of the CEL and flashing TRAC OFF lights.