IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Cloth Seats on An IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 12:17 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cloth Seats on An IS?

Does anyone have pics of an IS w/ cloth seats? does it look good Im getting a good deal on one
Old 12-28-04, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there is actually one? i thought the least you get is leather / suede
Old 12-28-04, 01:47 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

I guess so...Im going to see it on thursday
Old 12-28-04, 02:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes the cloth seats are standard issue but because most people want the leather/escaine aka alcantara or the leather seating, the cloth seating is usually special order and the normal interiors we are accustomed to seeing are packages that most dealerships will get. The cloth seats are rare. They don't have power adjustments for the driver or passenger, only manual.

Here's a pic of the actual cloth from a RHD IS from Australia. Same cloth interior for the US versions.

Last edited by flipside909; 12-28-04 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 02:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

maybe take some pics for us, i would like to see it
Old 12-28-04, 03:17 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

sure will... ah man! no power seats! well its for my wife and i dont think she'll mind....say I get my hands on IS leather seats since there are powered will they work on the non power car ?
Old 12-28-04, 04:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ummm.... hard to say.... i wonder if it would be better off to just get a car with leather and power seats to begin with

i know there are some harness and plugs underneath the car for the power seats... on the non-powered one, i have a feeling that those might be missing...
Old 12-28-04, 04:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXISM
sure will... ah man! no power seats! well its for my wife and i dont think she'll mind....say I get my hands on IS leather seats since there are powered will they work on the non power car ?
That is a good question. If the wiring is there for the powerseats..it should be plug and play. I would inspect under the seat to see what's up. There should be wiring to the seatbelt harness(seatbelt indicator light for the dash)...and another set of wiring for the power seats. The cloth seats are comfortable power or not. I've always liked them!
Old 12-29-04, 09:05 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the new IS keeps the tradition. It will be the only entry level luxury car that could be had with cloth seats now that cloth is no longer an option on the G35.
Old 12-29-04, 04:43 PM
XaLtezZaX
Driver

I have cloth seats, it really isn't all that bad. Things i notice that differ from leather/automatic is that you sit higher on leather, but on cloth you go back further. I think you should go with leather, cloth is good i have no probems with it but if i could do it all over again i would choose leather!

Also its not plug and play with the cloth transfer to leather i tried....... didn't work got to do some rewiring! Hope this helps!
Old 12-29-04, 04:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by XaLtezZaX
I have cloth seats, it really isn't all that bad. Things i notice that differ from leather/automatic is that you sit higher on leather, but on cloth you go back further. I think you should go with leather, cloth is good i have no probems with it but if i could do it all over again i would choose leather!

Also its not plug and play with the cloth transfer to leather i tried....... didn't work got to do some rewiring! Hope this helps!
ah, so the answer is out...
Old 12-29-04, 05:28 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

well not really ..not yet lets say ..the guy im buying the car from says it does have power seats!!...so I guess i'll find out tomorrow
Old 12-29-04, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yes the cloth seats are standard issue but because most people want the leather/escaine aka alcantara or the leather seating, the cloth seating is usually special order and the normal interiors we are accustomed to seeing are packages that most dealerships will get. The cloth seats are rare. They don't have power adjustments for the driver or passenger, only manual.

Here's a pic of the actual cloth from a RHD IS from Australia. Same cloth interior for the US versions.

Yes, I can verify that. That is the same fabric as the U.S. versions. I have a 2001 with those same cloth seats. I didn't want leather for several reasons.....one of the most important being that the leather / Escaine package invariably came with a sunroof, which simply cut out too much headroom for my 6' 2 " and 280-lb. frame. A power seat option, back then, was not available with cloth........and, of course, neither was the seat-memory system that Flip wanted so much.

When I bought my car in April 2001, cloth-seat models were common on the lot......my local Lexus dealer ( Pohanka Lexus) had at least one in stock in every body color in the book except the one I wanted....Solar Yellow. So I had to order one. Fortunately I did not have to wait....one was found on a ship coming into NY port the next day. It was diverted, and, of course, I bought it.
I don't have the exact figure, but cloth-seat yellow cars are quite rare. I have seen only one other one. Most of the cloth-seat models (of all colors) also came with the 16" all-season tires.

Excellent quality fabric, by the way. It has taken nearly 4 years of my 280-lb. frame bouncing up and down on it and sliding on it getting in and out and still looks like new.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 06:36 PM
XaLtezZaX
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I can verify that. That is the same fabric as the U.S. versions. I have a 2001 with those same cloth seats. I didn't want leather for several reasons.....one of the most important being that the leather / Escaine package invariably came with a sunroof, which simply cut out too much headroom for my 6' 2 " and 280-lb. frame. A power seat option, back then, was not available with cloth........and, of course, neither was the seat-memory system that Flip wanted so much.

When I bought my car in April 2001, cloth-seat models were common on the lot......my local Lexus dealer ( Pohanka Lexus) had at least one in stock in every body color in the book except the one I wanted....Solar Yellow. So I had to order one. Fortunately I did not have to wait....one was found on a ship coming into NY port the next day. It was diverted, and, of course, I bought it.
I don't have the exact figure, but cloth-seat yellow cars are quite rare. I have seen only one other one. Most of the cloth-seat models (of all colors) also came with the 16" all-season tires.

Excellent quality fabric, by the way. It has taken nearly 4 years of my 280-lb. frame bouncing up and down on it and sliding on it getting in and out and still looks like new.

hey dude now i know im not the only one, how do you clean yours if you happen to have a mishap or anything... Stupid cloth just suck everything in lol.
Old 12-29-04, 06:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by XaLtezZaX
hey dude now i know im not the only one, how do you clean yours if you happen to have a mishap or anything... Stupid cloth just suck everything in lol.
man in that regard leather isn't too much better neither

Quick Reply: Cloth Seats on An IS?