IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Intermittent Break Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 12:16 PM
jrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Break Squeaking

I have a 2001 IS 300 with ~45k miles. I recently took it in for the 45k mile service and everything checked out fine (according to the dealer anyways). I bought the car from the dealer (certified pre-owned) and the car has been great thus far.

I've noticed of late that I'm getting a pretty high pitched squeaking sound from the rear brakes on a random basis. It seems as though when I break the first time, the rear brakes will make the noise, but braking shortly thereafter produces no squeal. I have been unable to correlate the squeaking with a certain road speed (if im above 40 it squeaks, below it doesnt...).

I'm thinking a couple of things and would like to get everyone's opinion:
- Brakes are getting to the point where they need to be replaced (not sure how long a pad should last, but 45k sounds about right)
- Cold/Wet weather in the mid-atlantic of late will cause rotors to oxidize and rust and the brake squeaking is a result (would explain why I hear this intermittently). Only thing is would this happen while I'm driving - I doubt it...

Any thoughts? thanks in advance - jrock
Old 02-03-05, 12:29 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrock
I have a 2001 IS 300 with ~45k miles. I recently took it in for the 45k mile service and everything checked out fine (according to the dealer anyways). I bought the car from the dealer (certified pre-owned) and the car has been great thus far.

I've noticed of late that I'm getting a pretty high pitched squeaking sound from the rear brakes on a random basis. It seems as though when I break the first time, the rear brakes will make the noise, but braking shortly thereafter produces no squeal. I have been unable to correlate the squeaking with a certain road speed (if im above 40 it squeaks, below it doesnt...).

I'm thinking a couple of things and would like to get everyone's opinion:
- Brakes are getting to the point where they need to be replaced (not sure how long a pad should last, but 45k sounds about right)
- Cold/Wet weather in the mid-atlantic of late will cause rotors to oxidize and rust and the brake squeaking is a result (would explain why I hear this intermittently). Only thing is would this happen while I'm driving - I doubt it...

Any thoughts? thanks in advance - jrock
Wait till it's warmer and try rebedding the brakes.
Old 02-03-05, 12:35 PM
jrock
Driver School Candidate

Rebedding?