IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Just purchased

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 12:42 AM
yaowza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased

Whats up everyone, brand new to owning a Japanese car lol...I'm a mechanic at a BMW dealership so I've been driving bimmers forever, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take this IS300 off my buddies hands for 4500 bux. I'm not new though to custom mod jobs, I have a 2001 BMW m3 euro spec (full euro interior and right hand steering) that I installed a custom supercharger onto, with a 3 core intercooler, full custom internals from the headers to lifters to rods and overdrive pulley, basically the entire engine was built up to handle the double compression level I achieved with the blower pushing 26 lbs. after dyno and more than 3 weeks of meticulous tuning I had it hitting 645 horses to the crack with 630 foot lbs of torque.

Yea, thats just a little history, I plan on making this IS a project car, possibly a daily driver as I'm driving the m3 as a daily and i have a feeling it's gonna blow up on me one of these days. So since I have absolutely no clue about the 2jz engine, can I assume that turboing would be the rational forced induction choice...
Old 03-08-05, 12:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welcome to clublexus! congrats on your new purchase! and i hope you didn't get the car from your friend for just 4500 bucks, that sounds a bit too cheap

anyway, man, you able to push that much power on the e46 m3? that's unbelieable! the engine is still running strong? this is one fast m3 i can say man. i have never seen anyone running FI on the e46 and push out this much power. big props! pics and more info? sorry going OT here

anyway, the 2jz is one hell of any engine too. it's not as strong as its gte brother (supra tt) that can go 800hp easy, but you can still do magic to this car. but you will need to upgrade internals and have to deal with the tranny which is very weak on this car.

anyway, enjoy, search and ask questions!
Old 03-08-05, 12:59 AM
yaowza
Driver School Candidate

yea, as far as doing interior engine work, I have no problem as I did ALL the work to the m3 myself either at my father's body shop or at my work when it got slow. my friend is moving to NYC cuz he recently finished college and got a job offer he can't refuse and is trying to sell as much of his stuff as he can...yes I did say I got the car for 4500 and it's a steal. I'm not too comuter savvy so I haven't been able to get pictures of the m3 up on the net, but if I ever get a chance to take some pics I'll definitely let you guys know where I post 'em up.

Yea, the engine I have in the m3 is the 3rd engine actually lol...first engine I had was naturally aspirated at 415 horses that blew up....next I did a turbo setup and I didn't tune it enough and ended up blowing that up and now this engine has been in for about 7 months after final major mod. The only odd maintenance I do for the car is all fluid replacements every 750 miles, oil, coolant, tranny, antifreeze lol....

what kind of quarter mile times to stock is300's run? I obviously have no idea what kind of performance this car puts out....
Old 03-08-05, 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

man, really 4500 bucks? damn, what yr and mileage? sounds like the car has to be trashed to be worth that much, haha... sounds like it's s steal to you

anyway, stock 1/4 mile for the is300? you are going to be really disappointed man, maybe low to mid 15s?
Old 03-08-05, 06:30 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What else does he want to sell
Old 03-08-05, 10:31 AM
yaowza
Driver School Candidate

it's a 2002 but he just finished his MBA from indiana's Keller Business school...he got offered a spot on the board of chairmen for a major corporation based in NYC so he'll be making bank...thats why he had no problem selling me the car for that price. I guess I can deal with the slow quarter time, just means that I'll have to be more "artistic" in the way I do the car's engine up. If my cousin could get a crx to run 10.5's in denver in the mountains, I think theres a good chance I'll get the IS runnin' pretty nice times too.
Old 03-08-05, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

man let us know when he has anything else to sell
Old 03-08-05, 02:53 PM
yaowza
Driver School Candidate

ok, so talking with co-workers today, I think I'm gonna go custom supercharger for this car...not to sound mean or anything but I wana take this car past it's brink 'n just blow it up so I can put a supra TT engine in...I'm thinking twin whipple vortec supercharger 13-20 lbs of preasure, greddy 3 core intercooler that I'll have to install a wide body front fascia onto the car to fit underneath and I'll have to find a tranny cooler, low compression internals and lightwight flywheel and pulleys. Let me know what u guys think. We have a fabricator on site at my work that can bend and weld tubing of any shape I need oh and I just realized I almost forgot to mention the intake manifiold and headers that I'm gonna head to install, to reduce back preasure on the exhaust I might go headerback straight pipes but not sure yet, I might go with a silencing muffler just to keep the kiddy ricers in the nighborhood off guard.
Old 03-08-05, 07:32 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yaowza
ok, so talking with co-workers today, I think I'm gonna go custom supercharger for this car...not to sound mean or anything but I wana take this car past it's brink 'n just blow it up so I can put a supra TT engine in...I'm thinking twin whipple vortec supercharger 13-20 lbs of preasure, greddy 3 core intercooler that I'll have to install a wide body front fascia onto the car to fit underneath and I'll have to find a tranny cooler, low compression internals and lightwight flywheel and pulleys. Let me know what u guys think. We have a fabricator on site at my work that can bend and weld tubing of any shape I need oh and I just realized I almost forgot to mention the intake manifiold and headers that I'm gonna head to install, to reduce back preasure on the exhaust I might go headerback straight pipes but not sure yet, I might go with a silencing muffler just to keep the kiddy ricers in the nighborhood off guard.
That's some crazy work you have planned for the car. What kind of budget are you working with?
Sweet M3 BTW. With such a highly modded M3, and after going through 2 engines, I suspect that money isn't an issue for you.

Aside from just slapping on a supercharger or turbocharger on the IS, you really need to think about the engine management system you want to run. One of the biggest issues with adding F/I to the IS300 is the Lexus ECU, it will re-learn how the car is operating and eventually "un-tune" anything you setup. Therefore, if you have lofty power goals or simply have lots of money, then get a standalone.
Old 03-08-05, 07:40 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to CL. Let's see some pics of your 645 HP M3 please
Old 03-08-05, 08:32 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Something smells. But congrads on the car, IS and M3 is a nice combo
Old 03-08-05, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

just curious. why not just take out the current engine and throw in the gte engine once and for all, which is good for 800+hp already
Old 03-08-05, 10:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SDuquette
Something smells. But congrads on the car, IS and M3 is a nice combo
yeah right, what a teasing sig you got there huh
Old 03-08-05, 11:18 PM
yaowza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs400998
Welcome to CL. Let's see some pics of your 645 HP M3 please
If you guys haven't read before, I'm not too computer savvy and don't own a digi-cam if I find somebody I know who knows how to do that stuff, I definitely will let ya guys see under the hood or if any of u live in the NW burbs of chicago I'll let ya see it first hand.
Old 03-08-05, 11:25 PM
yaowza
Driver School Candidate

oh, and without a doubt I'm going to install a standalone EMC...without a doubt a supra TT is going to be dropped into the IS at some point but I want to see what this 2jz can do for me first...oh and one thing incase you guys think my m3 seems fishy is that since I work at a BMW dealership I can get my hands on custom made bmw f1 parts such as internals rather than going through an aftermarket company, seriously though if any of you want to see the car, if you live near chicago let me know and I'll bring the car one night to a couple spots where I know ppl race for cash and let ya see the speed for real....annother thing I hate is when people "race" (not rice) their cars up by taking the badges off or installing rims, my m3's got 8 series rims all stock badges and I got my exhaust tips to look almost identical to stock, no body would race me if I rolled upto the line runnin' open headers with a clear carbon fiber hood, and trust me I've considered that stuff lol...