IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 or 3-series BMW

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05 | 06:23 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by curiousg
I would totally agree that the Toyota product is likely to be more reliable, but the BMW 3 series does not have horrible ratings from 2001 on (according to Consumer Reports and Consumer Guide). I think it is a liitle bit of a cop-out sometimes. They are certainly better than current VW/Audi and Mercedes vehicles. I would be interested in the ratings that you are referencing.

I myself am torn between a used 325 and used IS300 (fairly recent though). Yes...I am aware that this topic has been explored many times over.

I read a bunch of reviews and they seem mixed . I think the only way is to driive both and see which one i like better.
Old 03-16-05 | 09:22 PM
yaowza
Driver School Candidate

as a mechanic for BMW I'll tell you the 3 series' are pretty stable cars. Once you go into higher end tuning jobs (such as my turbo setup or naturally aspirated 425 horse setup) then you run into problems with the engine blowing up (being very very blunt) The steering ratio in the 3 series' is allot more agile than the is300, it's a tid bit more responsive and you feel that you have a better grip on the road (not even owned the is300 for a month and already spun it out on a patch of black ice.) but yea...sway bars are a must to increase frame rigidity in both cars, more for the lexus...Um as far as engine goes, you'll get better performance out of the 3 series but not that much more unless your talking about the m3...
Old 03-16-05 | 11:49 PM
Statik
Driver School Candidate

I'm new to ClubLexus, but, I had to reply to this one. I have had a BMW for years and ended up hating them. In the end, I just liked it for the status (superficial and lame reason). For me (and it sounds like many others) I had so many maintenance problems and related expenses to keep my stupid 328 and 325 running. After buying an IS300, I am more happy than I have been. The 325 is gutless in comparison, for me, and the 328 was a money pit. I'm not you, though, try them and you'll probably like the IS.
Old 03-17-05 | 06:55 AM
curiousg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Statik
I'm new to ClubLexus, but, I had to reply to this one. I have had a BMW for years and ended up hating them. In the end, I just liked it for the status (superficial and lame reason). For me (and it sounds like many others) I had so many maintenance problems and related expenses to keep my stupid 328 and 325 running. After buying an IS300, I am more happy than I have been. The 325 is gutless in comparison, for me, and the 328 was a money pit. I'm not you, though, try them and you'll probably like the IS.

Again, these seem like fairly broad generalizations - are we taling about the E46 3 series here? What type of maintenance problems? I know people that have had few, if any, problems with their 3 series (all 2001+ E46 mind you).

I am also a little confused by the "gutless 325" ...the IS 300 numbers are not that much different than the 325 (way closer to the 325 than the 330 anyway). I have driven both the IS and the 325 and find them pretty comparable.

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to "challenge" you on your choice of an IS 300 - I am just trying to stay away from generalizations. I am currently contemplaiting a smaller, sportier replacement for my 1st gen GS. I have read all of the posts on this site about BMW vs. the IS and most of them are garbage, containing phrases like "Yo dude ...get an IS (add goofy smile icon here)" or "I can add the shiznit supercharger and I will beat an M3".
Old 03-18-05 | 12:52 AM
Statik
Driver School Candidate

Curiousg, I had a 99 E46 328I. Had many problems with the coils failing, instrument cluster shorting out, starter failure, water pump replacement, temp sensor wouldn't respond, cylinder misfire even with upgraded DME. This was the one I hated.

The 2001 325 E46 was a fun car, you're right, but didn't do it for me. The numbers are comparable b/w the IS300 and the E46 325. Wet weight lbs/hp and 0-60 times (argueably, I found) favors the IS, and I have better 30-, and 60- foot times with my IS. Torque seems more robust through the powerband with the IS (supports the spec sheet). Got into a "friendly" race in my 325 with an IS (can't verify that the IS was 100% stock) and just couldn't pull ahead; it was a good run, though, until an S4 came along and killed us both (I'm not endorsing street racing!). The handling on stock BMWs are amazing considering they're stock. Overall, it didn't fit my driving style, though. I thought the power response of the 325 during an apex/exit felt sluggish and if I could have figured out how to start the 325 without the electronic stability control activated, it would have been better. I like my cars to shovel a little more when "driving inspired" which I found with my IS, but never really found with the 325. I had to replace the coils twice on the 325 (covered by the dealer, but a hassle all the same), and one-time problem with the starter.

Modded, any car can be a better car, but the better a platform that you start with, the better you'll probably end up with. That's what I based my opinion on.

All in all, I told Lexodude that I'm not him and he has to see for himself. I just offered my opinion. Sorry to be so long-winded, hope that answers some questions.
Old 03-18-05 | 12:18 PM
curiousg
Driver School Candidate

Statik-

Thanks...I appreciate your response. Reliability reports seem so mixed on the 3 series that sometimes it is hard to figure out and I appreciate it when folks have something tangible to go to instead of the "if it's not a Lexus it must be unreliable". So things like persistant coil problems help.

I really do favor the IS for its near guaranteed reliability, but their I many things that I don't like about it (small trunk w/ no fold down option, interior trim/features that are a little off pace of what 3 the 3 offers, not great gas mileage, and lack of stability control on the manual tranny).
Old 03-18-05 | 10:54 PM
Statik
Driver School Candidate

I understand what you mean by "no fold down option," a folding rear seat does come in handy sometimes, or at least offering it. Trunk space is a little deceiving, though, it actually can hold more than one might think. The interior doesn't have what the beemer has to offer, but I do like the double-stitched leather like you find in the IS sport editions. I have driven a bunch of automatics, and a lot of times I actually turn the "Trac Off" to get more of a feel of the car. I'm not drifitng or anything, but, I like to be able to control the car through throttle and/or heel/toe and not have the car tell me what to do. Gas milage... you said it. Gas milage leaves something to be desired sometimes. If any of you have/end up with an IS, I hope you have as much fun with it as I do!