IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Who is not modifying their IS 300 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-01, 08:21 AM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I know many people are teaking this and that, but what about warranty issues ?? What happens when something clearly is a potential warranty repair, and the dealer refuses to service the car, becasue it's slammed 4 inches and rides 20" rims along with non tested engine add-ons ? Not trying to be a chump...but dudes...it all comes down to business and money eventually, I give props out to those who are able to enhance the IS 300, just keep some perspective......the dealer I have dealt with is ALREADY an *** to me, just because I am young looking and drive this car......the service manager....has been totally unhelpful with the weird shifting thing, it hasn't happened for awhile, but when it did....the guy sucked at being a SERVICE manager...my wife wants to sell her Honda Accord EX V6 which I paid cash for last fall, and buy a GS 300..believe I am like yeah let's...but am going to wait until this fall, and this time I am going to let the salesman really work for the sale....I want fresh sushi and sake at paper signing..oh yeah, and let's go talk to the f!@%ing service manager
Old 06-07-01, 08:25 AM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Old 06-07-01, 09:30 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Since the day I bought my car I pretty much knew that I would be voiding my warranty. I wasnt too worried about doing this because Lexus/Toyota is very reliable.
Old 06-07-01, 01:02 PM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

well, im not really moding my engine too much..
like ive stated before, my parents didnt like my suped up 97 camry V6 at all...

so , the condition on this car is that it cannot have engine mods..and my parents even got a 7 yr warranty

i do have plans for a drop in intake from Blitz, new grill, wing, and maybe , just maybe i can get an exhaust... but thats pretty much it..

i have to go for exterior looks , cuz if i touch the engine , i lose the car.. the only good thing about the drop in filter is that you cant see it from the outside..(just opening up the hood)..and it helps the car "breathe"

thats just what i have planned..
i hope to get to a meet sooner or later..but i think i'll feel kinda "stock" cuz i wont have all the cool mods like the SRT and stuff...

anyways, thats just me..

Old 06-07-01, 05:02 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I knew when i bought it also that the warranty was going to be voided abnd did not care... as we speak MO from SRT has my car and will be werkin on it to get my SC put in by the JUly21st race date....so some of us dont carea bout the warranty and to most ppl I can understand them not waning to void it... I mean these cars are not cheap. so you can pick and choose what parts to put on... an air intake will not void as well as a simple rear section... also if your dealer refuses to werk on yoru car because of aftermarket parts, they must prove that the part you put on did the damage and caused the motor or corresponding part failure......which we all know air intakes and mufflers will not due... there is a federal law on this and if you do some searching you can find it and present it to your dealer... they will not hassle you as much after seeing this...
Old 06-07-01, 08:52 PM
dogofthegods

first the dealer must prove your add-on caused the failure, to reject your warranty. most warranties are only for the first 30k miles. I will put that on my car before she is 2 years old. which gives me time to research the parts before adding them.

my suspension will be my starting point. then brakes. then supercharger. no body mods as I will never go fast enough to need them (she will not be going 210 MPH in a circle).
Old 06-07-01, 09:30 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

I get my supercharger installed next week
Old 06-08-01, 05:40 AM
pcgriffith
Driver School Candidate

Wink

**GENERALIZATION WARNING**
**Not implying that ANYONE subscribed to ClubLexus is a wahoo**

Any wahoo can go fast in a straight line, but it takes training to go fast when corners are thrown into the mix. If one wants to really go fast, the best thing one can do is to get lots and lots of track time, with an instructor, then solo, to develop skills.

The second modification to make is to wear out whatever tires the car came with as quickly as you can, so you can justify replacing them with really good sticky tires on whatever rims you've got. The tires won't last long, but you'll have a lot of fun!

By doing these two things, you'll be able to outrun 99.99% of the general population, and most of the boy racers, too.

Peter
Old 06-08-01, 06:53 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

BlackIS---what are they predicting your car is gonna be running with the stage 1 Area 51 kit?

Congrats and I know you must be excited..
Old 06-08-01, 08:37 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

They asked me to wait until the June 15 to give the exact numbers. I'll give out all the info then
Old 06-08-01, 10:42 AM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

where can i get "sticky tires" on my IS300??
is something like that available at the dealership, cuz i know that they put lots of different types of tires on all the IS300's...

thanks

Old 06-08-01, 11:33 AM
Risk3233
Driver

dp,

I think what he meant by "sticky" tires are tires that have better traction on the street than the OEM R040s.

Some good "sticky" street, DOT approved tires are the Toyo Proxes T1-S, Bridgestone Pole positions, Yokohama AVS Sports, etc.

I agree that the single greatest factor to going fast is the driver. I autocrossed for years and you would be surprised that some of the lowest ETs at any given race are not done by the guys w/huge power, but by the best drivers.

And yes, it takes more skill to turn than just go in a straight line.
Old 06-08-01, 12:27 PM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

Talking

man,
im kinda intimitated by all u guys talkin here..
you all sound like really good drivers and stuff..(auto cross)...
man, im jsut a young 20yr old wit a nice car...
yikes...

well, there's only one way to learn..so i might as well learn here ..

Old 06-08-01, 01:07 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Dpat... never feel intimidated... that is how you learn and get knowledge... ya know we are all cool here... if you want some sticky cheaper tires try the yokohama paradas... I am very happy with mine and they stick damn good...
Old 06-08-01, 01:08 PM
pcgriffith
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Risk3233
dp,

Some good "sticky" street, DOT approved tires are the Toyo Proxes T1-S, Bridgestone Pole positions, Yokohama AVS Sports, etc.

Yeah, the AVS sports are one of my favorites for the street. Treadwear isn't too bad for what you get in performace (don't expect to put more than 20K miles on these babies).

I've had very good experience with the BFG COMP T/A R series for the track and autocrossing (there's a newer series called g-force now). These are fun tires for the steet if it NEVER rains where you are, and you don't mind replacing your tires with every oil change!

Quick Reply: Who is not modifying their IS 300 ?