IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Proof, the 1st gen IS 300 was platform specific!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 06:26 PM
LexFather

Default Proof, the 1st gen IS 300 was platform specific!

Well, many of us here thought the 1st gen IS was a shortned GS platform, like the next generation. I was searching and found a speech by the old Lexus VP Bryan Bergsteinisson where he states the IS is platform specific!
Now we can finally lay to rest any rumors about the IS. It also won Japanese car of the Year as the Altezza. The IS is the safest car in its class and is built like a bank vault, rattle free. Now we know why
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...id=sp19990408b

The IS is a front engine, rear-wheel drive sports sedan on a platform unique to this model. The car is lightweight and stable. Lexus engineers designed the sedan with the best possible weight distribution, placing heavier components such as the battery and fuel tank toward the center, and moving the engine back behind the front axle line. Double wishbone suspension on all four corners allows for precise handling and a comfortable ride.

Extensive testing was conducted on the roads of Japan and Europe, including the Nurburgring circuit in Germany. Responsiveness was a primary goal for the chief engineer and his team. The result is a package that delivers outstanding performance and razor-sharp handling that will fill a niche Lexus has not addressed before.

You can compare the IS to the GS in terms of sportiness and performance, just as you would compare the ES to the LS in terms of luxury and comfort.

The IS will be positioned below the GS and will compete against vehicles such as the BMW 3-series and the Audi A4. The target audience is younger educated professionals who are also enthusiasts seeking a car that makes them feel connected to the road.
Old 04-02-05, 07:04 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very old news...

of course the ALTEZZA was a unique platform!!!!

"Lexus" designers...blah....thank you TOYOTA for building such an awesome and one of a kind car....

glad you finally realized this 6 years later....better late then never....
Old 04-02-05, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
very old news...

of course the ALTEZZA was a unique platform!!!!

"Lexus" designers...blah....thank you TOYOTA for building such an awesome and one of a kind car....

glad you finally realized this 6 years later....better late then never....
I was looking for the proof. Some were not sure if it was specific or Shortened GS. Specific= very expensive to build as well.
Old 04-02-05, 08:55 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I was looking for the proof. Some were not sure if it was specific or Shortened GS. Specific= very expensive to build as well.
the Altezza was released before the 2nd gen GS....

also, remember, there were more Altezza/IS specific models created then any other toyota/lexus model ever....

Altezza, Altezza Gita models:

AS300 4x4 (Yes AWD) 4AT
AS300 5AT 6 cyl Altezza
AS200 4AT 4 cyl Altezza
AS200 6MT 4 cyl Altezza

IS 200, IS300, IS300 sportcross

a very interesting history indeed......gosh, I love my car even more....thank god it was never featured in a Fast and Furious Movie.....
Old 04-02-05, 08:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

You know, I've read so many times the IS was based on on a shortened GS platform I have it in my mind as generally common knowledge as well Sick.

You even see it in print on the new one....

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104840

the Altezza was released before the 2nd gen GS....
The Altezza came out before the Aristo? Hmmmm Aristo was late 1996 in Japan as 1997 model, right? The Altezza was 1997 as 1998 model I think. That would make.... the Aristo come before the Altezza I'm no expert on the history of the Altezza / IS though.

also, remember, there were more Altezza/IS specific models created then any other toyota/lexus model ever....
:
I've gotta think the Tundra has the Altezza beat with number of models, right?
V6, V8 models, Regular cab, access cab, double cab, stepside, SR5, auto, etc And that's all just in the US

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-02-05 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-02-05, 09:29 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You know, I've read so many times the IS was based on on a shortened GS platform I have it in my mind as generally common knowledge as well Sick.

You even see it in print on the new one....

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104840
Well, when I was there for the IS300.net interview with Fukusato San, he clearly indicates the new IS250/350 is completely unique and NOT based on a GS platform at all....despite what articles might say....

The Altezza came out before the Aristo? Hmmmm Aristo was late 1996 in Japan as 1997 model, right? The Altezza was 1997 as 1998 model I think. That would make.... the Aristo come before the Altezza I'm no expert on the history of the Altezza / IS though.
as I said, the Altezza was developed uniquely by Toyota before the 2nd gen GS/Aristo, despite the times of their release....

I've gotta think the Tundra has the Altezza beat with number of models, right?
V6, V8 models, Regular cab, access cab, double cab, stepside, SR5, auto, etc And that's all just in the US
I disagree, between the different Auto and Manual options on the Altezza and IS models in Asia, Europe, and the US since their inception, they clearly have many many models.....I was talking about sedans, not trucks...but if you want to include the tundra, thats cool....
Old 04-02-05, 09:37 PM
LexFather

Well, when I was there for the IS300.net interview with Fukusato San, he clearly indicates the new IS250/350 is completely unique and NOT based on a GS platform at all....despite what articles might say....
Riding on a version of the new GS platform, the IS will be larger in every dimension than the model it replaces. It will share its basic suspension layout and design with the GS, although it will be tuned a bit more aggressively, and it will offer both 17- and 18-inch wheels and tires.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...?id=sp20050323

Per Lexus. WIth the 1st gen IS, they stated it was specific, with the new one shared. I cannot see Toyota/Lexus keeping seperate platforms when everyone else is sharing them. Also, I read in "CAR" that the Supra being tested is a shortened GS platform as well.

But if it is unique, Lexus needs to use that as a selling point, IMO.