IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Unorthodox Racing Ultra SS Pulleys for IS300 now available

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-01, 01:40 PM
unorthodox

Smile

Go to www.unothodoxracing.com and click the Ultra SS icon in the left oval grid then click the drop down menu and select Lexus. We have seen 14-18 HP at the wheels on the IS300 kit. The kit includes crank, alternator and water pump pulleys. We also have a single cam gear that can be used on the exhaust cam in conjunction with the VVTi on the intake cam, we saw 7-11 HP on the cam gear on our tester cars.

Shawn Baumgartner
President
Unorthodox Racing Inc
and future owner of 6spd IS300
Old 06-20-01, 01:48 PM
is300girl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this link will work better.

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/
Old 06-20-01, 02:25 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Can these parts be used in Conjunction with forced induction... preferably a SC kit?.. I have a mixed bag on this.. also how is the reliabilty of the pulleys and gears? no breaking or problems ect..
I heard the Cam Gear is jsut the exhaust side from the Supra NA set.. for the 2jz-ge.. is this tru...?

thanks for your time..
Brian
Old 06-20-01, 02:41 PM
unorthodox

Thumbs up Supercharger pulley and cam gears

We have been selling our pulleys and cam gears for 4+ years now and our customers have accumulated over 400+ million miles using them. We can make a stock diameter crank pulley for use with a supercharger. The cam gears need to used as a pair. Yes the exhausst side gives 75-80% of the total gain of the pair but the intake is important, if you notice the VVTi cars with just the exhaust gear and the VVTi intake automatically adjusting timing has piccked up more power than a pair of adjustables. This is because the VVTi is always adjusting for maximum output.

Shawn
Old 06-20-01, 03:09 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

so you would recommend to use a cam gear and pulleys on a SC kit..?granted to SRT SC is far from the normal idea of a SC..... email me I would like to discuss this more and how into racing is Unorthodox... .. I have a few in depth questions for ya...

email--Briand@clublexus.com
Old 06-21-01, 12:09 AM
changster
Rookie

not to sound stupid! I am new at this. How much would the installtion would cost, and I am in Central Calfornia who would I take my car to install if I purchase the parts
Old 06-21-01, 06:46 AM
unorthodox

Default Install cost

The installation if done by a professional mechanic should take no more than 2 hours + a new belt. So just find out what the local hourly labor rate in your area is for total cost.

Shawn
Old 06-21-01, 07:42 AM
sbmIS300
Driver School Candidate

Is the 14-18 HP gain peak or an average? And what kind of torque increase can we expect? Thanks.
Old 06-21-01, 12:59 PM
texis_300

Default group buy?

will you guys be allowing group buys for clublexus members or for the is300.net crowd?
Old 06-21-01, 08:30 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

okay.im about ready to buy.. got a few questions tho.. i've heard a few things about pulleys...one being not to get the crank pulley... and that pulleys tend to crack.. is this true?? what kind of effects will adding the pulleys do to the engine?? will there be a heavier load?? more noise from the engine?? and can we use the stock belts with these pulleys?? will they last?? or do we need to buy aftermarket belts?? i have a friend who put some aem pulleys on his ITR and the stock belts broke with in an hour...
Old 06-21-01, 08:40 PM
VVTIS
Driver

With most underdrive pulleys and unorthodox pulleys you will have to purchase different belts because the length and the wieght has been changed. In my subaru the problem I experienced was squeeling because they could not find an exact belt to make it tight, but the gains were great and I only experienced the noise in the winter months.
Old 06-22-01, 02:03 PM
DtEW

Underdrive pulleys reduce the size of the pulley at the crankshaft, increase the size of the pulley at the accessories, or some combination of the above. The entire point is to reduce the amount of torque-sapping resistance that the accessories (alternator, A/C compressor, PS pump, etc.) contribute. The downside is that the accessories are driven with a lower RPM than they were designed to be, and that may result in decreased accessory performance.
Old 06-22-01, 02:30 PM
DtEW

Default Re: very interesting...

Originally posted by lebowski
how severely would this impact said accessories?
Couldn't tell ya. I don't think Orthodox Racing would be able to tell you with complete certainty, either. The performance of your accessories depends on the condition of your accessories (now efficient your alternator, A/C compressor, PS pump, etc.), which is quite variable depending on how long and hard you've used them. The weather would also have an effect on the performance of your A/C. Your usage habits of your car would also definitely come into play.
Old 06-26-01, 08:40 AM
unorthodox

Default Accessories

Please read the FAQ section on our web-page. We can say with exacting certainty that our pulleys have absolutely no adverse effect on the accessories, every model is tested specifically for accessory output and we mainatin factory specified outputs. The gains from our product are not from underdriving, only 15-20% comes from underdriving, it comes from the reduction in rotational mass. The FAQ covers these subjects in more depth

Shawn Baumgartner
President
URI