IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

NEWBIE Question's please help me? :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 11:43 PM
Boodies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI GUYS!! I just had a couple of questions and I'm totally a newbie to this so please bear with me. I just recently learned that power breaking shortens your 0-60 time. When you look at the magazines and lexus brochure, you see a time of 7.1 Did they use power breaking for that? If not, what kind of time would you get if did? Im talking about in stock form.

Also, how bad is power breaking for your car? Or is it not bad at all? I usually do it to about 2000. I don't know if it's me but on the street, it's pretty hard to skid out when you start even with TRAC off and Power breaking to 2000. It works great in downtown where the road smoooooth concrete though

I also tried the side break drifting. I did it at this school parking lot and almost freakin hit a light post. LOL
Old 06-28-01, 05:09 AM
scuba821

To answer your question if Lexus power-breaked to get that 7.1, I doubt it. This is why I say this(this will also answer your question if it is bad). Yes it is very hard on your breaks. As to how bad not really sure, I have a buddy with a 5.0 V8 how power-breaks all the time. Now his back rotors are warped, he had to take his entire brake system apart and do a bunch of stuff that is way over my head.

This being said, power-breaking every so often to light up those tires and show people where it's at probably won't hurt.........too bad. thats my 2¢

someone please correct me if I am a jacka#&.....
Old 06-28-01, 06:18 AM
mjdart
Driver

Default Power braking

From my technical view power braking is not bad if the brake rotors are cool. However if they are hot from heavy brake use that's another story. When they are hot and you clamp down on the rotors with the pads you begin to transfer heat from the area the pads are in contact with. This causes the rotor to cool unevenly. The result can be warping of the rotor. You will know this has happened by a pulsing sensation felt thriough the pedal during normal braking. If I have done some spirited driving and have gotten the brakes hot I actually do this. When I come to a stop at a light or something I will shift into nuetral and release the brake pedal. This will prevent the above senario from happening. Rotors are expensive - happy power launching
Old 06-28-01, 08:23 AM
haveboost
Rookie

With all respect. You can't compare a mustang to a lexus or any other import car for that matter. I had a Supra TT and I used to power break that thing all the time. It had 410hp to the wheels and not even the stock clutch gave out. I sold it with 49000 miles.

My advice HAVE FUN with the car. Stop saving it for the next guy

Just make sure you don't pound on the break. Press enough so the car doesn't move, but don't step on it all the way.

GOOD LUCK
Old 06-28-01, 08:26 AM
aust182
Rookie

I agree. Have fun with it. That's why you didn't buy a VW bug!!!
Old 06-29-01, 04:44 AM
scuba821

The funny thing is it wasn't even a mustang......it is a Mercury Grand Marquis. Speaking of those, anyone seen the pics/stats for the new Marauder? Trying to make it like the impala SS. Looks pretty tiiight!

Check it out...

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/