IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-01, 05:57 PM
fortyounce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did anyone outfit the stock is300 alarm with a remote starter?

If so, what kind, and how much etc.

thanks.
Old 06-28-01, 07:51 PM
vlad_a

I had dealership install remote start on stock alarm.
That was a big mistake. Here are a few problems I had:
1) When car is started, factory remote is deactivated - had to use the key.
2) When remote-started, alarm is deactivated
3) They used the whole key to disable engine immobilizer.
4) Number of installation mistakes were made.

I took the whole module out and installed an aftermarket security system w/ remote start myself.
That thing has motion detector for extra sence of security. I have to use a separate remote, but that's something I got used to. Besides, it has better range than stock.
The install took about 3 month of my "hobby" time.
I had to build a couple custom modules to get all of the functionality of the stock system transfered to the aftermarket one.
Old 06-29-01, 08:10 AM
lexowner
Driver School Candidate

Don't get it!!!! I had a Volvo 850 GLT and had the factory remote start installed. It was a cold January morning and decided to remote start my car. Ate a little breakfast and when I came out...my car was in flames. Never again will I get that option. Take the 2 mins to warm up your car and save yourself the pain of watching your car burn in flames. Just my .o2
Old 06-29-01, 08:50 AM
vlad_a

This is the 2nd car I had the remote starter installed.
No problems so far.
I guess, it depends on the module you use.
The one installed by the dealer was a piece of junk.
No logic in it. Just emulates the key being turn, that's all.
The one I installed is more advanced. It is as safe as putting the key in yourself. It monitors the engine RPMs, so if something is out of line, it disengages. If engine does not start from the first time, it will do 2 more attempts, then disengage.

Improper installation, however, can be dangerous. So, make sure to have it installed by a reputable shop.

P.S.
Lexowner, remote starter may have saved you. What if it was you turning the key? :eek:
Did someone put a price on your head back then? J/k.
Old 07-06-01, 06:16 AM
Eaglecomm
Driver School Candidate

VLAD_A,
now that I have the right thread, can you give me some more info on which one you have had success with and any more details....
price?
brand, etc...
Old 07-06-01, 06:27 AM
vlad_a

All right, putting the reply into the right thread:

Eaglecomm, I installed DEI Sidewinder 6500ESP security system. The reason I went with this particular model, I had it on my previous car and knew all of its capabilities.
Overall, it took about 3 months of my "hobby time" to get everything up and running. But, I was really taking my time, doing everything step by step. I soldered all of the connections for a more professional install. Even had a couple custom modules built to control OEM security and trunk open feature.

Check is300.net. Some people got the clifford intel 9000 system installed with auto window up/down, although I still haven't figured out how that is accomplished.

P.S.
Eaglecomm, what is that radar equipment in your sig?
Old 07-09-01, 02:32 PM
Eaglecomm
Driver School Candidate

Default Radar gear

I've got a Passport SR1 and a Blank Widow.
The Passport is a remote system with a receiver located under the front grille and a laser receiver located on the back license plate.
The black widow is a passive radar and active laser remote unit. It has a receiver under the front grille and I put the other receiver in the back corner of my rear deck behind the back seats. Very unnoticeable when in the car! I also covered it in matching carpet.
Did that answer your questions.
And they work! So I think..I was doing 60 in a 35 the other day when I got hit by Laser and I slowed down and about 1000 feet passed the cop. He didn't come after me so I feel it did the job.