IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

WEAPON R vs BLITZ

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-01 | 12:11 AM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

which intake is better..price and hp.????

i have heard that they are redesigning the BLITZ, but that it will be around 300$ and give 8-15hp.. is that right??

also, i dont know anything about the wepaon R , but i am very interested if anyone can help me out with that... thanks..

ps.. i know that SRT rules all, but it is just too much money and i am looking for just a normal intake upgrade to help with gas mileage and give a small amount of power,...

pss.. on a yellow IS300, what would look better? a yellow alteeza grill , or a black one?? which grill would give a more agressive look to my YEllow IS300??? thanks
Old 06-30-01 | 12:20 AM
N10S1
Driver

My thoughts exactly! $625-700 for an SRT? I'm not a part of the "new e-conomy" so those prices are quite unreasonable. I say go with the yellow one, more uniformity with the rest of the vehicle.
Old 06-30-01 | 12:32 AM
Risk3233
Driver

You guys may want to wait. Along w/very reputable companies like Blitz, AEM is supposted to be making a cold air intake (CAI) and from posts on IS.net is just a few months away (currently in R&D).

There's going to be alternatives in the marketplace in a few months. You guys just need to sit tight.

However, at this time, SRT does set the standard in terms of quality and documented power output.

IMO save your money and wait for the stuff to hit the market place. I know it's hard in this instant gratification world we live in, but it may be good to wait.

Old 06-30-01 | 01:15 AM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

Risk3233,
hey.. you know..it seems like u give just about the best advice on this forum.. thanks...
seriously, everytime ive had some question or comment, you come in and tell me something that i didnt even know about ..so thanks..
yea, i'd wait for a CAI, however, id be afraid to drive it in the rain...just ex[erience with friends civic CAI...

however, i'll wait for another 4 months before any major purchases..
until that time, im keeping BLITZ and WEAPON R in my mind...

ps.. how is the blitz drop in filter?? i want to get one, but every car shop tells me it doenst exist.. , or even after i show them that it DOES exist, they say they cant get it...

david

pss. know where i can get the Alteeza japanese black mesh grill ?? .. my IS300 is yellow..and i DESPERATELY want one ...but i dun wanna get ripped off either..
Old 06-30-01 | 11:09 AM
Risk3233
Driver

dp,

AEM makes a bypass valve that you can use w/their CAI. Should the filter get submerged or seriously soaked, the bypass, which is located inside the engine bay is used to continue to flow air into the engine.

As for the grill, try Ben @ Shinestreet.com, he's got me stuff in the past and he's reliable. Dale @ Shinkairacing.com can also get stuff.

BTW Tical just posted some dyno figures of his car w/the SRT and HKS Hiper and they are impressive. If I can sell the idea of increased gas mileage to the wife, I may get the SRT. Oh...but the noise...

BTW most of the stuff concerning the AEM products were posted by another member on IS.net.
Old 06-30-01 | 11:50 AM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

thanks risk3233,
yea i jsut read the dyno results..very nice..
what is the IS300 stock hp??
i know it is 215, but what actually gets to the wheels?
isnt it like around 155??
thanks...

yea, i called shinestreet and they said the grill is 265..
thanks

after hearing the results, i may want ot get the SRT, but it is soo expensive..
Old 06-30-01 | 12:00 PM
Risk3233
Driver

I've actually seen a range of stock dyno figures.

From mid to high 160s to low 170s.

So if you use Tical's figures, the SRT and HKS (or any exhaust) for that matter should net double digit power gains.

It's funny. You're concerned about the cost and I'm concerned about the noise.
Old 06-30-01 | 12:46 PM
Cruz_In_M3

Cool

Heres what I say,
1st, get the black mesh grill, i hate when a car is all one color, makes it look like theres a yellow brick floating down the street, besides, black is always an aggressive color, whens the last time you saw some bad dude in a movie wearing yellow?
2nd, if you're gonna wait 4 months for more products you might as well save your money for that time and get the SRT. Don't buy something cause its cheaper cause in the end, you're just gonna keep saying to yourself, I wonder how much extra power I would've got with the SRT??? Just save and buy the best.
Hey we can't all get all the parts at once and gain like 100 HP. We all have to do it one step at a time. Take your time and do it right.
Old 06-30-01 | 10:59 PM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

hey risk3233,
if i reset the IS300 (take off battery for 1 min) , will that affect the stock power???
i heard that by doing so, u can have the IS300 adjust to ur driving style..
i like to drive hard, but i didnt know that this was the case with the comp in the beggining..
oh hey!! i painted my top grill all black!! it looks great.. im gonna try to get a pic soon.
i'll proly save for the SRT, but it is gonna take me a while, seeing that im only a college student and have jsut a semi serious summer job.. ..plus, my moms is **** about saving.. she just doesnt understand that girl friends take money..hehe , but at least mine is worth it..
Old 06-30-01 | 11:03 PM
Risk3233
Driver

dp,

I personally haven't done the battery cable detach, so I don't know if it will make a difference.

With regards to waiting, the benefit is that more stuff will hit the market and you'll have a greater amount of choices when the time comes to make a decision. It's not gonna kill you to wait for a while w/regards to the intake.

I'm actually waiting for the forced induction to hit the market.