IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300...the negative side...list it!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-01, 12:24 AM
rivvin

Question

I was wondering if you IS300 owners could list the cons about your car. Just the negative stuffs like, rattling sunroof, seats ripping, bad stereo......just whatever that you hate. And, also major problems with the car under hood. Thanks!
Old 07-07-01, 06:52 AM
mjdart
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face No problems but........

I'm not quite in the demographic of the IS, I'm 46 but I'm not old in my ways either. I just came from a 2000 WS6 Ram Air Pontiac T/A with 6-spd. The IS isn't quite as luxurious in the interior and options as I would have liked. The Pontiac had a few more luxury items on it and cost a couple of thousand less. I was going to buy a BMW 3 series with the premium package for the wood and leather but I was slightly mistrusting of it's longevity. I see a lot of ratty looking older bimmers driving around. The Lexus on the other hand feels tight and I believe it will stay that way over time. Once I get my leather arm rest when it becomes available I'll be alot happier as I'm now doing the "Detroit Lean".
Lexus items I really like:
Power sun/moon roof excellent
HID headlights
5 speed automatic with on wheel shifting
Stereo system - very clear at high volume
The paint job is excellent in quality
I love to drive it - excellent handling & braking

Pontiac items I wish I had:
Power seats that also included air filled lumbar and side bolsters that grabbed you on either side during hard driving. All radio/CD contol functions on the steering wheel. A 12 disc CD changer although the Lexus 6 disc is in the dash and rather nice. The fog lights had a dash indication when they were on and didn't need headlights to be on to be used.
Of course I miss the 305HP at the rear wheels also
Old 07-07-01, 12:20 PM
IS_pimp_300

I love eveything about my IS300. The only thing I hate is if your not into racing be prepared to be aproached by every rice rocket at a light. I swear if my mother borrowed my car I still think these kids would try to race her. That could be a little annoying sometimes. Other than that the car handles beautifully.
Old 07-08-01, 03:41 PM
RadarB8
Driver School Candidate

1. I wish it was 3" wider.
2. More power.
3. Center armrest.
4. More power.
5. Better gas mileage.
5. Did I mention more power.
Old 07-09-01, 10:54 AM
SeattleSheila
Rookie

IS_Pimp_300: You're right. I'm 42 and they DO try to race me. Annoying little boys... (but I did let a witch with Mustang GT have it one day. That'll teach her to tailgate and weave in traffic. She didn't know how to drive and I was praying for no cops.)

I just wish the car didn't drink quite as much as it does...but I knew it would.
The paint is soft...

Goes really GOOD now with the ECU/Trac upgrade.
I'm having a blast with it. Only trouble I had was the driver's side door pin coming out repeatedly. The dealer replaced the hinge and it's been fine since. I plan to keep the car for a while...so skipped the moon roof. Don't want any leaks as could happen when the seals get old.
Old 07-09-01, 12:45 PM
IS3RACERMAN
Driver School Candidate

Default What negative side?

Yo, there is no negative side to the IS. It's just what you make of it man. If you think that the car has something wrong with , you'll always think bad things about the car. Any problems that come up when you drive it day to day, it just wear and tear. Get it solved wit the dealer. Simmmple!!!! The things i llike abouts my IS is that I just SMOKED a Bimmer 323ci. She almost creamed the car doing stupid things. Got her by hella..

Trying to get the ECU/trac updated, I love the car mans...

IS PIMP 300: my moms take car and she smokes all of thems rice rocket wannabe's. Eggs her ons toos. Cant mess wit da I.S.!!!!!!
Old 07-09-01, 03:50 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Hey Seattle/Portland drivers, what about going to SIR in August for the Import Races ? Be cool to have a presence there of all IS's or Lexus rides. I used to go with my 1995 Legend, which was all lowered with 18"s and tint, etc. It's quiite the scene, I 'm in the 34-40 age bracket and it's still fun to check out the cars coing from as far away as British Columbia....allot of really well tuned cars show up too, not cheezy, primered and cracked fiberglass stuff.
Old 07-10-01, 03:15 AM
rivvin

As a potential buyer I was hoping for more replies so I can at least know what to look for or make a decision on buying one or not, but this post's been up for awhile now and hardly any replys. Either no cares about this post or the IS is perfect?! I don't want biased answers, just honest answers. Every car has it's problems. But, thanks for the replies anyway...some were informative. Now lets see if I can get a good deal on a 2001 or wait for the 2002's!

IS3RACERMAN: Your car is that dam good huh? You know, eventhough I think postives about my car, bad stuff stills happens. And, I'm not looking forward to racing this car so I can care less about them "rice rocket wannabes." I just want something that's reliable, that will last, and look good at the same time. Also, don't forget...IT'S STILL A TOYOTA!
Old 07-10-01, 07:28 AM
IS_pimp_300

If you where looking for more replys why don't you try a sight dedicated to the IS300. Not many IS owners hang out on this board. As far as the 'Its still a TOYOTA', bring that up again in these forums and be prepared to back up that statement>>>

http://is300.net/

http://www.is300forum.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Have you even test drove the car? Yes, its important what oppinions other people have but ultimately the choice is yours. I am curious to know what other rides you might buy, scince you have loot to buy an IS300.
Old 07-10-01, 11:55 AM
IS3RACERMAN
Driver School Candidate

Default The heck!!!!!

Yo what up wit the IT's Still a Toyota!!!!@#$% Ay if you have that opinion on the I.S. maybe you don't need to buy car. People who buy the in my opinion likes Toyota's Besides the point , yeah my isssss that DAMMMMMMM GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!
The car is Lexus made think about it. It had some flaws like the ECU thing buts thats it. The only things that can co wrong on the car are self induced. YOu modify you take the chance. Leave all the neg bulll off the Lexus or Toyota. You prepared to back it upp!!!!!
Nothing hostille intended. Just allllittle peeved at the Toyota comment!!!

PEACEEEE
Old 07-10-01, 12:45 PM
Kanine21
Driver School Candidate

The only complaints I have are very small.

One is the car has developed a squeak in the steering at very low speeds, like when I'm backing out of the driveway or turning into a parking spot. It feels fine, It's just a minor annoyance.
Dealer checked it out and said they couldn't find it, checked all the moving parts and can't find anything rubbing, they also checked all the nuts and ball joint stuff for proper torque and lubrication to the moving parts.

The other very small complaint is the paint is very susceptable to scratching and chipping, very soft paint.

Otherwise I LOVE this car! It handles very nice, has great acceleration and passing power, (plus girls dig it, he, he).

I don't think you'll ever be sorry with the reliability and looks of the car. Nice ridding car.

Kanine21
Old 07-10-01, 01:51 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

paints chips, ******ty service,seats need bigger bolsters,******ty service,every car should come with LSD,******ty service..
Old 07-10-01, 02:19 PM
SeattleSheila
Rookie

Originally posted by fairuza11
paints chips, ******ty service,seats need bigger bolsters,******ty service,every car should come with LSD,******ty service..
Wow...you must be going to the wrong dealer! The service has been great at my dealership. I'm sure if you give the dealership a less than satisfactory rating on the survey that is sent out following any service you receive, your dealership will be hearing about it from corporate.

Oh, one more negative: (If anyone cares; I don't)...trunk space is very limited and the floor of the trunk isn't perfectly flat.