female new to the scene

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 03:08 PM
miss.aloha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default female new to the scene

Hey,

I've had my 2001 IS for a while now, but I'm starting to get into modifying it. It's completely stock, and I'm iffy about putting money into it because it's e-shift. Can I get anyone's opinion on if it's worth putting money into an automatic car (im more for performance rather than looks).

Also, does the e-shift really make a difference, because I don't see the use for the manual part of it, with it's 4 gears! I basically just stick with the auto mode because I see the manual mode pointless.

Thanks!!
Old 10-27-05, 06:54 PM
tennis_8
Driver School Candidate

From my experience with Porsches and my current NSX, the thinking in those communities is that you will be lucky to get half the money that you spend on mods back when you sell it. And the mods need to be desireable at that.

If you do something strange, you may in fact lower the value of the car. Lurk around this site, do some searches and see what the folks in the IS300 community find desireable. If you agree, you may be able to mod your IS and get part of your money back - but only part expecially with the automatic which may not be so desireable. JMO

Also consider how long you are going to keep the IS and enjoy the mods. If you plan to sell before you have gotten your enjoyment, then it is a near total waste.

Last edited by tennis_8; 10-31-05 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-27-05, 08:35 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL! Whether or not modding your car is worth it depends entirely on you. If you see worth in doing it then go for it. You will see an improvement in handling by lowering the suspension and adding aftermarket sways; it definitely makes the car more fun to drive as well. Being in CA, I'm limited to what I can do to my car while still staying legal. Personally, I thought that an aftermarked exhaust was a worthwhile mod as was an intake. See what's available and what the cost is then sit-down and decide if it's something you really want to do. Modding can become addictive so once you get started it's difficult to stop. Good luck.
Old 10-27-05, 08:58 PM
miss.aloha
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the advice...but rather than money...is it worth modifying an AUTOMATIC/e-shift????
Old 10-27-05, 09:08 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Welcome to CL. As far a moding, I have an 01 as well and all I have done is lower it and done some upgrades with brakes and some interior stuff. As far as engine work. I have friends that have supercharged their e-shift and they love it. I might eventually do that but I dont have the money right now. I would say that the majority of my friends with the IS have e-shift just because there either 01's and had no choice or just got it because they didn't care what it was. e-shift was the most popular. Hope that helps. let me know if you need anything else.

Chase.
Old 10-28-05, 08:33 AM
tennis_8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miss.aloha
thanks for the advice...but rather than money...is it worth modifying an AUTOMATIC/e-shift????
I met a fellow with a supercharger on his automatic IS300 at a Porsche Driver's Education event ( where I instruct ) and he told me that the automatic transmission is much stronger than the manual transmission and better able to handle the increased torque.

Of course, the transmission has nothing to do with intake, exhaust, springs, shocks, antisway bars, wheels and other cosmetic mods that you might want to make. Many owners of automatic transmission cars make modifications. It's your personal choice.

Last edited by tennis_8; 10-28-05 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 11:44 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by miss.aloha
hello and welcome to cl where are you located in fl ?? we just had a huge meet in orlando and are going to plan another one .. there you will see several modded automatic lexus IS there and you can get some ideas on how you'd like to mod your car !! hopefully we will see you at the next meet !!