IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2002 6spd Acura TL Type-S VS 2002 5Spd Lexus IS300???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-01, 11:25 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by DROD2045

So basically youre saying that the IS has the potential to be a great sport sedan but isnt which is what im saying.

"PERIOD"
hey boy.

Basically i'm sayin that the IS is a great sport sedan. And it's definitely more of ANYTHING than some other family sedan counterpart (but yeah I have to admit TL takes this one, the IS is NOT a good family car) Which part of my post did you not understand.

HUH?

If you can, please give me some examples of how the IS is not a sportsedan and the TL is more qualified.
Old 08-14-01, 07:50 AM
RiCeBoY300

Lightbulb is vs tls

i say is300 all the way once again. not jus becuz it sports the lexus badge or it costs a bitb more. jus the pure ride of i is awesome. and lexus is as reliable as it gets!! and acura/honda.... hmmmm no coment, arround in marylan acura/honda isnt 2 special of a car. and we dont see to many lexus on the street unless u count the RX300 but to many old folks have that car, no lexus sedans on the street and esspecially not the SC430 coupe.

GO POST ON THE IS300 VS. A41.8T:eek:
Old 08-14-01, 12:35 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

hey boy.

Basically i'm sayin that the IS is a great sport sedan. And it's definitely more of ANYTHING than some other family sedan counterpart (but yeah I have to admit TL takes this one, the IS is NOT a good family car) Which part of my post did you not understand.

HUH?

If you can, please give me some examples of how the IS is not a sportsedan and the TL is more qualified.

I never said the TL type S was more of a sport sedan than the IS. I Dont think that car is a sport sedan at all.

By me saying the IS isnt a true sport sedan does not mean that Im saying its not a great car. Im just saying that its not a true sports sedan like an M5, or even a 5 sport for that matter. The reason why i say its a sporty sport sedan is because, IMO, it was never intended to be a true sports sedan in the first place. If it were, it would more power (anyone can buy thousands in mods and make their cars super fast...well, not anyone. ), a sport inteiror (I dont see the IS interior as anything but cheap- un Lexus like in design and quality IMO), and basically take the great brakes and handling it has to an even further extent (also improve steering feedback).

So to sum up my opion of the IS:

its a great car. Its like a baby performance car. The GS IS the performance car (although that needs some work on handling/steering).

my two and a half cents
Old 08-14-01, 07:00 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DROD2045

I never said the TL type S was more of a sport sedan than the IS. I Dont think that car is a sport sedan at all.

By me saying the IS isnt a true sport sedan does not mean that Im saying its not a great car. Im just saying that its not a true sports sedan like an M5, or even a 5 sport for that matter. The reason why i say its a sporty sport sedan is because, IMO, it was never intended to be a true sports sedan in the first place. If it were, it would more power (anyone can buy thousands in mods and make their cars super fast...well, not anyone. ), a sport inteiror (I dont see the IS interior as anything but cheap- un Lexus like in design and quality IMO), and basically take the great brakes and handling it has to an even further extent (also improve steering feedback).

So to sum up my opion of the IS:

its a great car. Its like a baby performance car. The GS IS the performance car (although that needs some work on handling/steering).

my two and a half cents
fair enough.

But just because a car has alot of power doesn't mean it's a sportsedan. Just because a car doesn't have alot of power doesn't mean it can't be.

Evolution VI Tommy Maki. small displacement 2.0 turbo, awd, 4 doors. Only 280hp in stock form but I would say it's more of a sport sedan than the M5. What do you think of 12.0 sec. flat 1/4 mile in a 280hp car?

And the IS WAS designed to be a true sport sedan. It's just that the Lexus/overseas department thinks it's more important to have a large-displacement engine to satisfy the Americans (big mistake). So 3S-GE and 6 speed went down the drain, ultimately the reason why I didn't get the "IS200" which it was supposed to be. (didn't I go over this)

IS's interior is more sporty than the M5's interior. What do you call those executive seats that look like old Cadillacs with those vertical slits?

And M5s tuned to the max will NOT match IS300s tuned to the max. once again the 2JZ.

IS has great brakes and great road feel.

so yeah. those are my points.
Old 08-14-01, 10:26 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

fair enough.

But just because a car has alot of power doesn't mean it's a sportsedan. Just because a car doesn't have alot of power doesn't mean it can't be.

Evolution VI Tommy Maki. small displacement 2.0 turbo, awd, 4 doors. Only 280hp in stock form but I would say it's more of a sport sedan than the M5. What do you think of 12.0 sec. flat 1/4 mile in a 280hp car?

And the IS WAS designed to be a true sport sedan. It's just that the Lexus/overseas department thinks it's more important to have a large-displacement engine to satisfy the Americans (big mistake). So 3S-GE and 6 speed went down the drain, ultimately the reason why I didn't get the "IS200" which it was supposed to be. (didn't I go over this)

IS's interior is more sporty than the M5's interior. What do you call those executive seats that look like old Cadillacs with those vertical slits?

And M5s tuned to the max will NOT match IS300s tuned to the max. once again the 2JZ.

IS has great brakes and great road feel.

so yeah. those are my points.

The IS' interior has a sportier design but the M5 has some of the grippiest leather seats youll ever sit in.

For me and for me only, i look at how a car comes stock and not for the aftermarket. First of all an M5 and an IS should NEVER be compared. The M5 is the sport sedan of sport sedans. If you dont recognize that, than you really need to. But back to the stock versus modded: there is no point in that because any car can be modded out. its just if you have the $$. WHy spend all that extra $$ on a car that can or may have it stock???

Basically, its fair and even if you compare stock vs stock and not throw in a black sheep.
Old 08-14-01, 11:09 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Grippiest leather seats doesn't mean they beat cloth or suede seats. That's why 95% of all racing seats on the market today are either cloth or some kinda anti-slipping material, not leather. the 5% recaros are for looks only.

Yes if you say that you don't care about mods, yes then for 80k the M5 better be a real good sportsedan, or should be the BEST if you call it. If all sport sedans should come only as stock cars and not modded then all the race events with sportsedans should just go onto the track not modded.

Even with ALOT of money, some cars just mod better than others. People think the M5 is a beast and doesn't need to be modded. Others think the M5 isn't good enough so some small European tuning companies still come out with M5 tuning packages (like to get rid of those twisted and improper intakes). However even with ALOT of money, why would you wanna mod a M5 or even M3? European tuners are famous for interior and exterior tuning not engine mods. Just because they think they DON'T NEED TO doesn't mean that's because there's NO COMPETITION.

Speaking of black sheep, isn't the M5 a tuned black sheep already?

And keep in mind many times the money you called EXTRA MONEY spent on cars is actually ALOT LESS than the cost of a real good car stock. What's the price difference between M5 and IS300? And how much do you need to spend to make it faster, handle better, and sportier than the M5? I'm sure you know the answer.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-15-01, 01:01 AM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default true true true

its funny that one of my friend got an 2000 M5 last august and now he has LOTS and LOTS of problems already...the two rear cupholders are all broken and one of the front cupholder is also broken....and the electrical thermometer is also broken..he showed me that the wire which connects the thermometer is coming out from the bottom of the front bumper...and also the break is having some problems also...dunno what happened....WTF! he bought that car for like 90000 but the things keep breaking.....if i were my friend, i wouldv killed my self already..an M5 ....dude..fast...and handles good but it looks like **** once comes out from the dealer..lol lol loll ollllzzzz
Old 08-15-01, 09:22 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Grippiest leather seats doesn't mean they beat cloth or suede seats. That's why 95% of all racing seats on the market today are either cloth or some kinda anti-slipping material, not leather. the 5% recaros are for looks only.
The IS 'escaine' trim is fake suede. lexus even said it.
But if a material holds you in, it holds you in. So oh well.

Yes if you say that you don't care about mods, yes then for 80k the M5 better be a real good sportsedan, or should be the BEST if you call it. If all sport sedans should come only as stock cars and not modded then all the race events with sportsedans should just go onto the track not modded.
We were comparing stock cars to buy. Not for the track. (TL type S and IS)

Even with ALOT of money, some cars just mod better than others. People think the M5 is a beast and doesn't need to be modded. Others think the M5 isn't good enough so some small European tuning companies still come out with M5 tuning packages (like to get rid of those twisted and improper intakes). However even with ALOT of money, why would you wanna mod a M5 or even M3? European tuners are famous for interior and exterior tuning not engine mods. Just because they think they DON'T NEED TO doesn't mean that's because there's NO COMPETITION.
I have yet to see a sport sedan de-thrown the M5 so it doesnt have the competiton.

Speaking of black sheep, isn't the M5 a tuned black sheep already?
No SC's or TC's. But it is a black sheep in comparison to the IS. I dont even remember how the m5 came into the conversation.

And keep in mind many times the money you called EXTRA MONEY spent on cars is actually ALOT LESS than the cost of a real good car stock. What's the price difference between M5 and IS300? And how much do you need to spend to make it faster, handle better, and sportier than the M5? I'm sure you know the answer.

My 2 cents.

To get an IS to M5 level, a big load of money but I couldnt tell ya.
Old 08-15-01, 09:25 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Default Re: true true true

Originally posted by kyle3481
its funny that one of my friend got an 2000 M5 last august and now he has LOTS and LOTS of problems already...the two rear cupholders are all broken and one of the front cupholder is also broken....and the electrical thermometer is also broken..he showed me that the wire which connects the thermometer is coming out from the bottom of the front bumper...and also the break is having some problems also...dunno what happened....WTF! he bought that car for like 90000 but the things keep breaking.....if i were my friend, i wouldv killed my self already..an M5 ....dude..fast...and handles good but it looks like **** once comes out from the dealer..lol lol loll ollllzzzz
thermometer for the engine temp or outside temp? Sounds like annoyences but Id take that car with those problems.